Can I play videos while screen is sleep?

PTB#AC

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm often "listening" to videos while I'm driving or working.

Often I'm on Youtube listening to an official HD quality video of a song.

The issue is that if for any reason, the screen goes to sleep, or I accidentally hit the power button, the video automatically stops playing, and when I unlock my screen, I often have to restart the video. This is of particular case for Youtube.

I don't want to burn up unnecessary battery life, and since the screen often takes 40% of the power consumption - even when the brightness is turned down at the lowest, is there a way I can turn the screen off, and allow the videos to continue playing in the background. I know I can do this with mp3's and the music player, but the video player acts differently.

Is there a setting on the phone to allow this?

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain. It's really annoying how YouTube vids just stop midway when the screen turns off. Hopefully someone has some input on this.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Google Groups

Sounds like you could downgrade the youtube app to get it to work...but it sounds like a TOS issue (although who here hasn't switched tabs while 'listening' to a video on their PC?).

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Google Groups

Sounds like you could downgrade the youtube app to get it to work...but it sounds like a TOS issue (although who here hasn't switched tabs while 'listening' to a video on their PC?).

Wow... that's not the answer I wanted to hear!

You make a great argument about switching tabs while listening on your PC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech