Tired of paying $20 cheaper for a network that should cost $50 cheaper. I'm gonna go to my Sprint store and threaten to leave unless they significantly lower my bill until 4G is a reality in my area.

I live in an area where the 3G service is spotty, and WiMax is nonexistant (even though when I got my NS4G the salesman said 4G would probably be coming soon). I'm pissed at their "Premium Data charge" (another term for "help us pay for our 4G network even though you don't get it yet"). There are areas in my city (a metropolitan area, btw) where Verizon works at least acceptably, and Sprint doesn't work at all. I can name at least 5 "patches" of town that have this problem. I don't even care anymore than I'm saving $25 on our Family Plan per month over Verizon. And what good is unlimited data if it crawls?

The whole unlimited vs limited thing has become a joke.. It's like- would I eat at a $7.99 all you can eat buffet, get salmonela poisoning and feel terrible later for it, or would I rather pay $30 for a nice steak, and feel great about it. Some things just aren't worth the savings.

So anyway.. anyone wanna talk me into a Verizon phone other than the Galaxy Nexus?
    giograves likes this.
    07-11-2012 03:57 PM
    It shouldn't be too hard to convince you to stay away from the Verizon GN. Just look at all the data/voice connection issue threads. You likely experienced some of it with your Nexus S (mine had connection troubles & speakerphone echoed). My Motorola Photon has been rock-solid on Sprint...that's for sure.

Please let me know if Sprint offers you any deals. I had a $20-off per month for 2 years + 15%, the $20-off dropped and they won't do anything else.

Sprint gave me $25-off for 4 months last week, when that's up, I'm actually looking at the GSM GN with Straight Talk, using AT&T & HSPA+, unlimited and $45 a month, unless a new GN releases this fall (crosses fingers for Motorola).
    07-11-2012 04:04 PM
    I've seen complaints and praises of voice call quality on the GN.. You just don't know who to trust. My NS4G has been pretty solid. Luckily call quality is not at the top of my lists for my next phone.. I want a good screen, a solid OS, and decent processor. Camera isn't even that big of a deal to me.

I will let you know what Sprint comes back with though, if I stay with them.
    07-11-2012 04:08 PM
    Well the screen isn't very good on the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus...but I really despise PenTile & AMOLED. I'm willing to look past it for rock-solid connectivity or vanilla Android.

Connectivity is my #1 deciding factor. Which is why I returned my EVO LTE (no LTE, unbearable 3G) even though the screen is Amazing.

If I didn't have WiMAX though, I probably would have left Sprint long ago.
    07-11-2012 04:11 PM
    Well my other 2 Verizon possibilities are the Galaxy S III or the HTC Incredible (despite battery life stories).. Possibly a Razr, but the screens on those absolutely bite, if you ask me.
    07-11-2012 04:14 PM
    With the choices at Verizon right now, I'd take the Razr Maxx. If you look at your Nexus S, the Razr screen is better. My Dad bought one and I think its the best available now. Rock-solid connectivity and a battery that will last longer that its user. ICS that is extremely close to AOSP, its a win-win-win.
    07-11-2012 04:22 PM
    You clearly don't like the AMOLED/SAMOLED screens, do you?

I think the NS4G screen is awesome. This is where you and I differ in opinion. My brother has a Razr and the screen looks washed out to me.

When you say the ICS is close to AOSP- do you mean the Verizon version, or a custom ROM? I'm not sure I'll be rooting my next phone- that's why I ask.
    07-11-2012 04:26 PM
    For the little I played with it after I updated my Dads phone, the Motorola version of ICS seems very close to AOSP. BTW, the Nexus S screen blows. . I don't like the screen in my Photon either, but when you can't read text in a video simply because of a AMOLED/PenTile matrix.... I just wish every phone was SLCD. I'll tolerate slightly 'less black' for color accuracy, clarity and daylight visibility.
    07-11-2012 04:43 PM
    Have you fixed your colors with voodoo and still complain about the screen? I love the screen, to the OP... I would go with the S3 because JB for the GSN may be some time down the road.
    07-11-2012 05:14 PM
    ^Voodoo can't fix the black lines. The colors and image looked fine from 3 feet away, but up close, the black lines that makeup the AMOLED matrix were clearly visible. Shoot, I can still see pixelation on the S3 screen.

I'm really pick on phones. The only screens I'm happy with is the iPhone 4S & EVO LTE.

Even though I didn't like the low-res AMOLED screen on the Nexus S, I loved the audio quality (Wolfson DAC) and vanilla Android. Both Samsung phones I've tried (Nexus S 4G & GSII) have had poor reception/connectivity issues. Except for 1 dead-spot near my home where everything drops, I have never dropped a call on my Photon, ever. And the Samsung speakerphone echo issue is quite annoying as well.
    07-11-2012 05:21 PM
    Must have super man eyes, I've never seen any black lines on my Nexus. Funny, my stepdad has the EVO LTE, and I don't really think it's that huge of an improvement over the Nexus. Didn't blow me away like I was expecting it to.
    07-11-2012 07:22 PM
    If go with the galaxy s3 best phone available right now. And why verizon over att?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    07-11-2012 07:25 PM
    If go with the galaxy s3 best phone available right now. And why verizon over att?

According to Android Central, the GSM GSN is the best available, lol.
    07-11-2012 07:32 PM
    According to Android Central, the GSM GSN is the best available, lol.
    The gs3 is better in every way so android central is wrong I'm afraid. Only thing the gnex would be better for is rooting roming and will get more timely updates.

07-11-2012 07:44 PM
    I believe their basis was because of Jelly Bean, which supposedly is a night and day difference.
    07-11-2012 11:18 PM
    Why Verizon over At&t? Better 4G network on my city.. in general better Android phones..

Btw I didn't get to Verizon in time tonight so alas for now, I'm still with Sprint.. this after the Sprint ac?count manager was going to give me a $100 credit for my troubles, but only if I extended my contract by 6 months.. haha, REALLY

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    07-11-2012 11:21 PM
    Why Verizon over At&t? Better 4G network on my city.. in general better Android phones..

Btw I didn't get to Verizon in time tonight so alas for now, I'm still with Sprint.. this after the Sprint ac?count manager was going to give me a $100 credit for my troubles, but only if I extended my contract by 6 months.. haha, REALLY

Better 4g which means more battery consumption. If take good battery off att 3g which my gf gets around 4-8 dl and 1.5-2.5 ul in our town. And with the new data share plans u get shafted for data. But if u need the coverage or unlimited minutes/text and not much data verizon is good. Id take att lineup of phones over Verizon's but that's just personal opinion.

07-11-2012 11:27 PM
    AT&T price-wise is about the same as Verizon. Plus my gf gets a discount through Verizon. Yes, LTE kills battery, but I wouldn't have it enabled all the time. Plus, I plug my phone in while at work. Not worried about battery, no matter which phone I buy. My battery dies on Sprint all the time because there's such crappy coverage, and the network searching my phone does just kills it, probably as bad if not worse than LTE would.
    07-12-2012 08:34 AM
    Tired of paying $20 cheaper for a network that should cost $50 cheaper. I'm gonna go to my Sprint store and threaten to leave unless they significantly lower my bill until 4G is a reality in my area.

I live in an area where the 3G service is spotty, and WiMax is nonexistant (even though when I got my NS4G the salesman said 4G would probably be coming soon). I'm pissed at their "Premium Data charge" (another term for "help us pay for our 4G network even though you don't get it yet"). There are areas in my city (a metropolitan area, btw) where Verizon works at least acceptably, and Sprint doesn't work at all. I can name at least 5 "patches" of town that have this problem. I don't even care anymore than I'm saving $25 on our Family Plan per month over Verizon. And what good is unlimited data if it crawls?

The whole unlimited vs limited thing has become a joke.. It's like- would I eat at a $7.99 all you can eat buffet, get salmonela poisoning and feel terrible later for it, or would I rather pay $30 for a nice steak, and feel great about it. Some things just aren't worth the savings.

So anyway.. anyone wanna talk me into a Verizon phone other than the Galaxy Nexus?
    You get sprint for only 20 cheaper than verizon?

How?

I priced their service and they wanted 130 for one line with insurance. .sprint wants 90.

I'd pay 20 more for verizon

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    07-12-2012 08:42 AM
    Family plan.. We priced it.. We pay $142 or something like that for the Everything data family plan (2 lines), and the 6GB Shared family plan or whatever it's called, with two lines came out to around $165 a month.. So a little more than $20, but my point is, yeah, Verizon would be worth the extra $11 a line I'd have to pay.

BTW, that Verizon quote was with my fiance's 8% company's discount.. Currently we also get 10 or 15% off my Sprint bill with MY company's discount.
    07-12-2012 09:56 AM

You CAN get those prices on Sprint's network! Use one of their resellers like Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile. They run on Sprint's networks but are significantly cheaper.

Virgin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ext...talk-plans.jsp
    For $55/month you get unlimited minutes, messaging and 4G/3G.
    For $45/month you get 1200 anytime minutes and unlimited messaging and 3G/4G.

You can use your Nexus S 4G with that or get an HTC Evo 4G (or any other phone that works on Sprint).

That is SIGNIFICANTLY less than Verizon.

P.S. For an extra $15, your phone is a legal mobile wifi hotspot.
    P.P.S. You can do all this without a contract!
    07-12-2012 11:33 AM
    Ok, so I assume there are no family plans on Virgin/Boost mobile, correct?

$55 x 2 = $110 + taxes + fees is probably around $125 or more. Not to be picky, but while it's still less than Verizon by quite a bit, I have to fend for myself if my NS4G ever dies, and then pay out of pocket for one of their less-than-stellar phones if I ever need a new one.. Or pay out of pocket the phone's "actual" cost on Sprint. And remember, Sprint's "4G" network doesn't exist in my city, so saying 4G is a feature of these other companies (Boost and Virgin) doesn't mean anything to me.

And BTW.. It seems through my investigating that using your NS4G on Boost or Virgin is tricky, and not something that is as simple as walking into one of their stores and asking them to do. I don't want to go through some shady procedure just to save $15 off what I'm paying now, and then being capped at 2.5GB per line on top of it.
    07-12-2012 01:50 PM

$55 x 2 = $110 + taxes + fees is probably around $125 or more. Not to be picky, but while it's still less than Verizon by quite a bit, I have to fend for myself if my NS4G ever dies, and then pay out of pocket for one of their less-than-stellar phones if I ever need a new one.. Or pay out of pocket the phone's "actual" cost on Sprint. And remember, Sprint's "4G" network doesn't exist in my city, so saying 4G is a feature of these other companies (Boost and Virgin) doesn't mean anything to me.

And BTW.. It seems through my investigating that using your NS4G on Boost or Virgin is tricky, and not something that is as simple as walking into one of their stores and asking them to do. I don't want to go through some shady procedure just to save $15 off what I'm paying now, and then being capped at 2.5GB per line on top of it.
    Ya if u were to go prepaid id do straight talk and just grab a GSM phone and get one of their att/T-Mobile sim cards and have $45 unlimited everything running off tmobile/att towers. But either verizon or att is better than sprint. I just left them because the data was so slow I couldn't do anything with my smartphone. .1-.3 dl and .05-.15 ul is ridiculous

07-12-2012 04:00 PM

Actually, they have the HTC Evo 4G and the HTC One V, both of which are very good phones. And with Sprint/Verizon, etc, if you don't pay them the extra monthly fee for "protection" you're also out of luck.

Also, you're forgetting this is all off contract. So you could switch back to Sprint if they suddenly offer a better deal with no repercusions. Everyone else, you're stuck for 2 years.

And I could be wrong, but i think those people having problems with Boost, etc all had rooted phones with custom ROMs on them.

Lastly, BestBuy does some phones with Virgin Mobile, so you could get the phone and protection plan through them.
    07-12-2012 04:26 PM
    Just bought a Razr MAXX for $99 on Amazon wireless... Woohoo.. Can't wait.

07-19-2012 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD