Should I Buy a Nexus S?

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
For the past several years I've had HTC phones and was positive I would use my July upgrade for the new HTC EVO LTE. Lately, I've been thinking I would like to use my upgrade for a Nexus instead. I read that Google will be announcing some new phones later in the year so I figure I should wait and use my upgrade then. BUT I'm itching for a new phone, I've had my HTC EVO 4G for almost two years. Does anyone think it would be worth picking up a used/refurbished Nexus S 4G for about $120 few months? Or am I better off holding onto my EVO?

Thanks in advance for your help.

luismpr

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd probably hold off with the eco just cause there's supposed to be new nexi?coming out soon.don't get me wrong though, with ICS the nexus s is pretty awesome. Were you planning to pick up the nexus from Craigslist or eBay? Or sprint?

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I was looking on ebay and cowboom. I really want a device with jellybean.

I've got my evo rooted and running a stable version cyanogenmod so it prob wouldn't be the worst thing to wait a little longer...

dreamer3kx

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I think you should just sit on to the Evo, personally I would do that, Im sticking to Nexus phones from now on, ICS and JB are the best, love my Nexus S, tried every phone out there and I always run back to it, I just picked up a Nexus 7 so ill be waiting for the new Nexus on my upgrade, who knows when thats coming out.

rob25

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The nexus S is a good phone I had my for a year it a good phone to text watch video and play games

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ive had my ns4g for 5 months now (got it for free from sprint):) it was a steal imo and I think I joined sprint at the right time too I'm in Chicago btw

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you should just sit on to the Evo, personally I would do that, Im sticking to Nexus phones from now on, ICS and JB are the best, love my Nexus S, tried every phone out there and I always run back to it, I just picked up a Nexus 7 so ill be waiting for the new Nexus on my upgrade, who knows when thats coming out.

That's what I'm thinking...to wait for the next Nexus to show up and hope it comes to Sprint earlier than next May. I was due for my upgrade May 1st, but I have not been all that excited about the EVO or GS3...mostly because of size, but also because of the update schedules. It sounds like Google is really making an effort to make the Nexus line what it was supposed to be, so I'll wait until at least the end of the year before deciding which way to go on my next device.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Did the EXACT thing you were thinking. From EVO to Nexus S as an interim holdover.

I do miss the extra .3 inches of screen real estate and the charge times for the Nexus S are a huge inconvenience but overall happy with the ebay purchase. Sprint CDMA issues with updates aside of course.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Did the EXACT thing you were thinking. From EVO to Nexus S as an interim holdover.

I do miss the extra .3 inches of screen real estate and the charge times for the Nexus S are a huge inconvenience but overall happy with the ebay purchase. Sprint CDMA issues with updates aside of course.

+1

I just traded somebody straight out - gave him my OG EVO for his Nexus S4G. I gotta say, this thing feels WAY faster/smoother/responsive than my EVO was, and I rooted the EVO and knew it inside and out.

I say go for it - especially if you can find somebody who is willing to trade straight across. This phone is so smooth I honestly don't know if I am needing to upgrade again any time soon.

And first party support (mostly). This phone will get a sanctioned JB update soon. My EVO hasn't received an OS update for what - over a year now? And there's NO SIGHT of HTC doing anything in the future for it, obviously. What's more, is that HTC still hasn't stated on the record that the EVO 4G LTE will get JB yet. SERIOUSLY!? That phone is only a couple months old!! No thanx, HTC. I'll stick with Nexus devices here on out.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For the past several years I've had HTC phones and was positive I would use my July upgrade for the new HTC EVO LTE. Lately, I've been thinking I would like to use my upgrade for a Nexus instead. I read that Google will be announcing some new phones later in the year so I figure I should wait and use my upgrade then. BUT I'm itching for a new phone, I've had my HTC EVO 4G for almost two years. Does anyone think it would be worth picking up a used/refurbished Nexus S 4G for about $120 few months? Or am I better off holding onto my EVO?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm scheduled for upgrade Nov 1 with Sprint and contract ends I believe in February, but I just couldn't deal with my jacked up BlackBerry anymore, so I purchased a NS4G last night.

I purposely did this because I'll probably end up staying with Sprint (under Family Plan $37 a month), and I really don't think by the time I'm ready to get a new phone in November there will be anything interesting, so I'll wait it out with the Nexus.

I also have a Nexus 7 and I have a contract free Galaxy Exhibit II 4G with T-mobile, mostly because I'm a geeky tech fanatic.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm thinking...to wait for the next Nexus to show up and hope it comes to Sprint earlier than next May. I was due for my upgrade May 1st, but I have not been all that excited about the EVO or GS3...mostly because of size, but also because of the update schedules. It sounds like Google is really making an effort to make the Nexus line what it was supposed to be, so I'll wait until at least the end of the year before deciding which way to go on my next device.

CDMA Nexus phones are the red-headed step child of the line. They are not going to get updates quickly if at all. The Sprint Nexus S does not have Jelly Bean and there is no announcement of it getting it any time soon. I'd be hesitant of getting any Nexus on Sprint any more.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The ns4g is asop genius which means its still has development and life left and FYI sprint already said the ns4g and gn is getting jb heck the jb rom I flashed is 100% perfect

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The ns4g is asop genius which means its still has development and life left and FYI sprint already said the ns4g and gn is getting jb heck the jb rom I flashed is 100% perfect

Sigh. No ROM is 100% perfect. Not even factory ROMs. The only thing that is 100% is that the only thing that matters 100% on which ROM you choose and how well it works for you is how you use your phone. I work in QA and believe me, there are plenty of issues. Personally, I'm running the 9/2 build of Burns' CyanogenMod 10 ROM with the CM gapps. It's working great. Clearly well enough to be a daily driver.

I agree with Mellimel though, that the development community is still largely behind the NS4G, and that breathes new life into it regularly. I would recommend getting one if you can get it cheap.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well it has everything except face unlock besides that like I said 100% functional 4g WiFi everything and its twice as smooth as ics

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12