I purchased my NS4G the day it came out and my upgrade is 3/1/13. Is this the same for some of you guys? I'm curious and confused because a few months later my mom upgraded and she has the same upgrade date, and a month or two later we put my grandmother on our plan and her date is also 3/1/13. I feel like I am getting the short-end of the straw. Thinking about calling sprint and pushing for an earlier upgrade date.
    08-15-2012 11:26 AM
    What plan do you have? It all depends on the plan. The Platinum plan is a 1 year wait, but others are much longer. (And they're ending the Platinum upgrade in december)
    08-15-2012 02:09 PM
    I purchased my NS4G the day it came out and my upgrade is 3/1/13. Is this the same for some of you guys? I'm curious and confused because a few months later my mom upgraded and she has the same upgrade date, and a month or two later we put my grandmother on our plan and her date is also 3/1/13. I feel like I am getting the short-end of the straw. Thinking about calling sprint and pushing for an earlier upgrade date.
    I know at some point last year, when they dumped the Sprint Premier system they changed the upgrade from 22 months to 20 months. Maybe you and your mom are on different upgrade periods because of this changeover...?

I got mine in May last year but I am still eligible for the Premier gold 12 month upgrade, so I was able to get mine starting May 1. I'm holding out a little to see what sort of Nexus device(s) is available this fall and if Sprint doesn't get it right away I may move on to something else like an SGS3.
    08-15-2012 02:12 PM
    I believe the Premier is on the main line, correct? That wouldn't be any of the phones mentioned.
    08-15-2012 09:05 PM
    I believe the Premier is on the main line, correct? That wouldn't be any of the phones mentioned.
    That's correct.

I was Premier Gold until they ended it. Sad to say, but I'll probably get the iPhone 5 when it comes out. I'm holding onto my last yearly upgrade until then.
    08-15-2012 10:04 PM
    05/01/2012

I got my phone day 1 of release...Mother's day 2011
    08-16-2012 10:50 AM
    05/01/2012

I got my phone day 1 of release...Mother's day 2011
    Sprint did away with annual upgrades last year due to the launch of the iPhone on Sprint. You had until December 2011 to use the upgrade.

If your account states you have an upgrade, you had better use it now as it will simply cease to exist soon.
    08-16-2012 03:53 PM
    Sprint did away with annual upgrades last year due to the launch of the iPhone on Sprint. You had until December 2011 to use the upgrade.

If your account states you have an upgrade, you had better use it now as it will simply cease to exist soon.
    Incorrect.

You have until December 31st to use the upgrade.

http://premier.sprint.com/premierupd...hp#goldupgrade
    08-16-2012 04:00 PM
    I have had the nexus s 4g since 11/11.... Sooooo I'm due an upgrade on 11/13 I'm planning on keeping my Nexus till then.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-2012 08:50 PM
    I have had the nexus s 4g since 11/11.... Sooooo I'm due an upgrade on 11/13 I'm planning on keeping my Nexus till then.

Actually, I believe the upgrade is available after 20 months...so you should be able to upgrade in July next year.
    08-17-2012 08:58 AM
    Got mine a week after it came out and my upgrade is in the second week of March of next year. My dad is getting his upgrade next month and his dumb phone is like brand new so I'm probably getting the SGlll with his upgrade. And we'll see what I get with mine in march. Probably the next Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    08-18-2012 12:49 PM
    Incorrect.

You have until December 31st to use the upgrade.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Eh.

One number off on the year. :v
    08-22-2012 09:39 PM
    April, but I'm coming into some money, saw some good prices for Galaxy Nexus, is that the path I should be looking on? Comments welcome on next phone I should look at.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G running cm-10.
    08-22-2012 11:25 PM
    Think of the Galaxy Nexus as your NS4G with a bigger screen, onscreen buttons instead of capacitive. Little better camera, user selectable zoom.. Speaker is much better IMO.. Little more processor crunching power.

Overall not a bad device and its LTE compliant so your good to go when/if LTE is ready in your area.
    08-22-2012 11:53 PM
    April, but I'm coming into some money, saw some good prices for Galaxy Nexus, is that the path I should be looking on? Comments welcome on next phone I should look at.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G running cm-10.
    I personally wouldn't jump on the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus. If I was getting a phone right now I'd get the Evo 4G LTE. The advantage of the Galaxy Nexus is lost on the CDMA versions.
    08-22-2012 11:54 PM
    How? It is still a Nexus... but I would go with the S3 over the Evo. The new Nexus might be out in Nov.
    08-23-2012 12:04 AM
    How? It is still a Nexus... but I would go with the S3 over the Evo. The new Nexus might be out in Nov.
    Not really, the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint is only "Nexus" in name and name alone.

Google must wait for Sprint to give the required CDMA LTE files and Sprint must test and approve the update prior to pushing it to the public.

This is the same situation for the Nexus S 4G, actually minus the LTE files (just replace them with WiMAX).

Verizon also must test and approve the update for their Galaxy Nexus.

It's a limitation of CDMA phones and will happen no matter what phone you get on Sprint or Verizon. Because of this, there is a pretty good chance that there will be other phones that don't have Nexus in the name that will be updated in the US before the NS4G, Sprint GNex, and Verizon GNex will.

Honestly, if you want to have a true "Nexus" phone, then get your device straight from Google on the Play Store and switch to a carrier that is GSM such as T-Mobile or AT&T (your only choices in the US). Otherwise, you will always be last in updates if you go with Sprint or Verizon.
    08-23-2012 07:22 PM
    So it is not a Nexus because you have to wait longer for updates? Try rooting and getting a better rom before the OTA comes.
    08-24-2012 08:28 AM
    I have to agree. Being on a CDMA carrier does not lessen the fact of a device being in the nexus line. Google has already released all the necessary code to build 4.1 for the ns4g, as evidenced by all the aisp built ROMs about. I want a different carrier only because sprint service sucks! But I would go to Verizon and CDMA easily!

08-24-2012 09:55 AM
    So it is not a Nexus because you have to wait longer for updates? Try rooting and getting a better rom before the OTA comes.
    I have to agree. Being on a CDMA carrier does not lessen the fact of a device being in the nexus line. Google has already released all the necessary code to build 4.1 for the ns4g, as evidenced by all the aisp built ROMs about. I want a different carrier only because sprint service sucks! But I would go to Verizon and CDMA easily!

Being an AOSP device means nothing for official updates. The NS4G has been an AOSP device since July 2012 and the OTA still hasn't been pushed by Sprint.

You both seem to assume that everyone with a Nexus S 4G or Galaxy Nexus knows how to obtain root and get ROMs and all that. Honestly, this isn't true in the slightest. Most people with the phone got it free or crazy cheap. Since the Nexus S 4G is the worst selling Android phone on Sprint to date as Nexus devices simply don't sell that well, I doubt many bought it on release day and just waited for the inevitable sale.

Those who waited on the sale don't care about root or ROM, they just wanted a cheap phone that's like an iPhone.

A Sprint rep on Sprint's own forums has stated that the Galaxy Nexus owners will be lucky to see an update to JB before 2013. What do you think this says for the Nexus S 4G which is already End of Life on Sprint? Hint: It's not good.

So there you have it. If you did not purchase the device DIRECT from Google, do not expect support and if you DO get it, expect it to be extremely slow.

The simple fact remains that the Nexus S 4G and both CDMA Galaxy Nexus devices are ******* stepchildren and will always remain last for OFFICIAL updates (which is all that anyone really cares about). You can boast about rooting and custom ROMs all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a severe problem with the CDMA Nexus phones and it sure as hell doesn't FIX the problem.
    08-24-2012 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD