How does the official OTA JellyBean run? (put your reviews here)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Just to separate people's feedback on the JellyBean OS from the threads on getting and installing the update.

So how's:

1. The battery life?
2. Stability?
3. Anything not working properly?
4. Wifi, 4G, data Connection?
5. Performance?

Zstephen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Been using it for about a day, I can say that the battery life has taken a serious hit, didn't notice it last night as I was downloading/updating apps and generally just playing around with it
Now and the new search seem kind of slow (probably a Sprint network issue), but no where near as slow as it was on custom JB ROMs, otherwise everything seems to work great
Wifi is actually better now since JB offers the option to use weaker signals, and i cant speak for 4G because I've never had it in my area, the new radios don't seem to have done much, i show a stronger connection, but browsing is about as fast (or slow, depending on how you look at it) as it was before
with all that said, everything is running great, excluding the excessive battery drain

artstfn2007

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I love it. Faster, smoother....just all around better. I don't have any battery issues as I have an extended battery. Left it off the charger all day Sunday with my pretty regular use to see what would happen. Got to 11pm at night after taking it off around 6AM and still had 20% or so battery left....but I was in the house most of the day using Wi-Fi....

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Been using it for about a day, I can say that the battery life has taken a serious hit, ...everything is running great, excluding the excessive battery drain

That was my fear. It's too bad they couldn't have learned from CM and changed the way the CPU is used when in idle.

Zstephen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I have suspicions it's caused by either Google Now and/or location features, going to try it out for a day with them turned off
It's conflicting, if it is Now, yay! problem solved, but I would be losing one of the coolest features in Jelly bean

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I notice i don't get notifications for Facebook or Twitter. Only some applications show the update, I believe that JB doesn't allow push notifications when its not a native application such as GMail. I do however love the performance my phone is finally fast as it should be. Battery life has taken such a huge hit, also the data connection keeps cutting out, I believe it might be a Sprint issue but idk yet.

erlara

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It's awesome!! so much smoother, love all the window transitions and Google Now! Notifications are awesome! But having issues with battery life, anyone else? it seems the battery dies within an hour or so with wi-fi and bluetooth off.

LonghornTreo

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I am having data connection drops as well even on wifi. My seems very laggy especially switching pages on the home screen. May try factory reset later today.:'(

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It's awesome!! so much smoother, love all the window transitions and Google Now! Notifications are awesome! But having issues with battery life, anyone else? it seems the battery dies within an hour or so with wi-fi and bluetooth off.

An HOUR?!?! I've noticed slightly faster drain...but an hour is unacceptable by any measure.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, I've noticed some of my notifications seem to not be coming through and my primary Gmail account didn't sync. I had to go into the app settings and check. In both cases, notifications were set to be on and email was set to sync...but I turned them off then on again and it seemed to "unstick" them.

jtexans

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Stock NS4G in Houston, TX 77054 (medical center area)

1. The battery life?
Much, MUCH better than ICS. I was still at over 50% w/ average use by the time I left for work.

2. Stability?
I haven't had a random reboot yet

Gtalk seems to be logging me out randomly even though I'm clearly on 4G and/or 3G

I rarely wifi. 4G about 3 down and 1 up.

5. Performance?
I haven't noticed the "buttery" smoothness of the OS yet.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Stock NS4G in Houston, TX 77054 (medical center area)

1. The battery life?
Much, MUCH better than ICS. I was still at over 50% w/ average use by the time I left for work.

2. Stability?
I haven't had a random reboot yet

Gtalk seems to be logging me out randomly even though I'm clearly on 4G and/or 3G

I rarely wifi. 4G about 3 down and 1 up.

5. Performance?
I haven't noticed the "buttery" smoothness of the OS yet.

You may have to do a few reboots, lets the new OS settle in... Your not gonna see like night and day but trust me I noticed the Project Butter when I first tried it out over a month ago... It really seems to be noticeable in the launcher dock and app list, etc...

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Battery Life
The battery life seems to have taken a hit, I can play with the phone for about an hour of screen time at it'll be at 30% or so in about one hour. I think it's due to Google Now and Latitude being on all the time. I'm fine with that though. I rarely take it off the charger unless I'm going somewhere so I don't know what it's like off the charger if I'm not messing with it. I'll probably just take it off now and try it out over the day.

Stability
It's pretty stable, I see some slow downs when loading Google Drive or leaving the Browser but nothing I haven't seen in GB/ICS anyway. Google Voice takes about half a second to open and it used to take at least 5 seconds. Google Current is much faster now as well when it was simply awful on Gingerbread (but it was better on ICS too). Google Now loads in 1 second if launched from the screen compared to what I've seen from others.

Not Working
For some reason, the Bass Boost and 3D Sound options are greyed out in the Equalizer. This is true for the GSM Nexus S as well and I'm not sure why as I know for a fact it worked fine in ICS. In fact, before I flashed the OTA for JB, I used Pandora all day and had Bass Boost up to the highest setting. With the Wolfson DAC, there was a very noticeable difference. Not sure why it's not available in JB. I did a factory reset just in case something broke but...nope. Still not working.

(EDIT: Thanks to a poster on another forum, it turns out that Bass Boost and 3D Sound are only available if you plug in headphones. This is not a bug then!)

The Sound Search widget likes to play Hide-N-Seek for some reason but I don't use it anyway as I use SoundHound Infinity. Still kind of weird though.

WiFi, 3G, 4G, Phone, SMS, MMS
WiFi
Haven't seen much change in WiFi and I use that pretty much every time I use my phone. It's still got a full signal of WiFi and works fine. The new Voice Search (the one that talks to you, Google Now is just the cards) works just about as fast as on the Galaxy Nexus / Nexus 7. That actually surprised me as some people have stated it's slow for them.

3G
I've only spent about 20 seconds on 3G while setting up the phone before I switched over to WiFi. I can't say for sure if it's better or not but we are talking about Sprint here.

4G
What? What 4G? Seriously, Omaha, NE has no WiMAX and won't get LTE until the END of 2013 (maybe 2014 if Sprint keeps going so slow).

Phone
I don't use my phone to make phone calls while at home. I tend to always use the Gmail phone thing to make all of my calls. I'll have to check back on this later.

SMS
Works just as well as it did in GB and ICS, no complaints here.

MMS
Holy ------- (censorship mine). It actually WORKS now. I haven't been able to receive MMS on my phone for the past month or so. We'll see how long this lasts.

Overall Performance
Overall, Jelly Bean makes my phone a lot easier to use with Google Now, improved voice search, and better Notifications. The battery life is acceptable despite it only lasts an hour with an hour's worth of screen time, but I don't use my phone like that normally. We'll just have to see how it lasts when it's not on the charger and I'm not using it. Widgets take about a second to figure out "Oh, you want to place me somewhere" but eh, I think it's like that on the Galaxy Nexus too (even if it's not, I don't really care that much).

Now, I have heard that the phone tends to ------ the bed (censorship mine) in about a week or two after using the phone because of the low RAM and single-core processor but we will have to see. Hopefully this lasts me the 8 months left in my contract before I can pick up the new Nexus (if Sprint gets it, that is). I mean I wasn't really expecting a miracle, just something to make my phone even easier to use and look nicer along the way (yay, no more weird corners on the slider buttons!).

Some hidden things I wasn't expecting were the Cell Broascast option that gives the Nexus S 4G the ability to receive AMBER and severe/extreme weather alerts. If you go into Messaging and hit Menu before you open up a text message, there's an option called "Cell Broadcasts". There you may see a message saying there are no alerts depending on where you live and for you to press Menu again to get a Settings menu which will show you a list of alerts your phone will receive. It looks like Google Now also has alert cards so there may be two different alerts.

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Had JB since yesterday afternoon, still checking out some of the features but what I've seen so far...

Battery- I stay plugged in at home all the time, won't be going out until tomorrow for any length of time. Tomorrow will be the test.

Stability- It was a little choppy yesterday after the D/L, rebooted and it was smoother, but not noticeably faster, however, today it seems a bit more snappy with scrolling and page transitions. I may do another battery pull and reboot later to see if it speeds it up anymore. Really better than ICS at this point. It's a single core phone, it can only go so fast, I know.

Not Working- I haven't used all of the goodies yet, but the pinch to expand in the notification window only worked on a native screenshot, not on my GoSms app. As I understand it, the ability has to be written into the code of the apps, so maybe more will come online down the road. I really like the concept, hope it expands to other apps. The panorama camera works great! I have Google Cards set up but it did not present this morning like I thought it would spontaneously, I had to touch the search button for the weather pop up. Won't have any need for the public transit or flight cards.

Wifi, Data, 3G, 4G- wifi signal is stronger it appears. I was not aware of the toggle for weak signal and could not understand why 3G was preferred over wifi since I am in a fringe area with one bar. I thought Juice Defender was whackin out on me over JB until I found the 'weak signal' toggle in settings. Back on wifi this morning and it is noticeably faster than yesterday pre-JB. As for 3G, I still only have one bar and -96 to -106 signal. No 4G Wimax in my area, I will check that out tomorrow as well.

Performance- As I stated yesterday immediately after d/l it was choppy, almost seemed worse than ICS, even after reboot, not much smoother. But today, still on yesterday's reboot, it is much smoother and much quicker in transitions. I also hope it solves my random reboot problem that just seemed to crop up in the past two weeks. What was that about anyway?

Overall impression

It appears to be getting better as time goes on, but I was really not impressed last night with the features. It did not seem to be as big of an update as ICS was to GB. I guess I need to sit down with a list of updated features and try them out one at a time to get the full benefit of JB. If the performance keeps improving like it did from yesterday to today, I would agree that it was a successful and impressive update. I would think it would fly on a GSIII, I think the limits of JB on this phone belong to the single core processor and 512 RAM. However, I do love my NS4G, especially the form factor, and I look forward to the next Nexus debut, hopefully by December. I may just upgrade and pay the ETF for that. :cool: ...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or does charging take fooooooooooreeeeeeeeveeeerrrrrrrrr....? Even longer than it used to with GB and ICS.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
A bug in JB doesn't allow SwiftKey to stick as the default keyboard after a reboot which is extremely annoying. Also Beautiful Widgets doesn't stick either.

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
battery life is MUCH better for me over ICS. it does seem to take longer to charge but it holds the charge longer, imo.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
battery life is MUCH better for me over ICS. it does seem to take longer to charge but it holds the charge longer, imo.

As u can c I can totally agree wit u on battery life on jellybean :beer:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347508603467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347508603467.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 156

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol