So I got my JB yesterday afternoon and have been looking at the Google Now screen off and on and I'm wondering what, if anything, I need to do.
    So far all I see is the weather report/forecast. Everything else is essentially blank...the first card saying "Cards show up here when you need them". How does the traffic card work for commuting? I haven't input any locations or anything...does it draw that info out on its own or do I need to put some info in somewhere? Does this stuff really just "magically" appear after some designated time period?
    09-12-2012 12:30 PM
    In order for Google Now to work as it should, you need to have pretty much all Location settings turned on from GPS on constantly (it's not going to hit your battery as much as you think, as long as the GPS signal isn't up in the notification bar, it's turned off unless needed) to maybe Latitude Location stuff as well (not 100% sure on this last one).

You also need Web History turned on for your Google account.

Finally, you just need to go places and use your phone. It'll start to work for you slowly as it gets used to the places you go and the things you put on Calendar and things like that.

Basically, Google Now is the reason why Google made their TOS into one all encompassing thing. The more you use Calendar, Gmail, Maps and Google Search, the more Google Now will understand and fine-tune itself for you.
    09-12-2012 12:48 PM
    Here's my question about Google Now...I don't have the option for the hotword dection. Aren't you able to open google now, say google, and then it's starts to listen? I'm on a Sprint Nexus s 4g.
    09-16-2012 02:44 AM
    - gps doesn't need to be on just all the other stuff.
    - saying "Google" only works when you are on the Google now screen.
    09-16-2012 08:22 AM
    Here's my question about Google Now...I don't have the option for the hotword dection. Aren't you able to open google now, say google, and then it's starts to listen? I'm on a Sprint Nexus s 4g.
    Hotword Detection (saying "Google" to open up voice search) is only available on the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7.

That adds to this list of things that don't exist for the NS4G in Jelly Bean AOSP:

-Face Unlock
    -Offline Speech-to-Text
    -Voice Detection

---------- Post Merged at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:32 AM ----------

- gps doesn't need to be on just all the other stuff.
    - saying "Google" only works when you are on the Google now screen.
    You do need GPS on as the phone can't use cell towers to find a bus stop, they're not that common. GPS does need to be turned on.

And, as I said previously, saying "Google" won't work on the Nexus S 4G as it's not in the OS for our phone.
    09-16-2012 10:33 AM
    I never have my gps on and it works fine. Maybe because I'm in a city but bus stops are everywhere
    Saying Google also works fine. What the hell are you talking about?
    09-17-2012 07:15 AM
    I never have my gps on and it works fine. Maybe because I'm in a city but bus stops are everywhere
    Saying Google also works fine. What the hell are you talking about?
    "The hell" I'm talking about is that Voice Detection has been left out of the Nexus S build of Jelly Bean. This was discovered back in July with the GSM Nexus S's update. Voice Detection is what allows you to say "Google" and it does not work for the Nexus S.

You need to pay attention.

We're not talking about pressing the Microphone icon and then saying Google, that would be trying to Google something. We're talking about starting up Google Now and simply saying Google to activate Voice Search. This does not work with the Nexus S as Voice Detection and Offline Speech-to-Text have been taken out of Jelly Bean for the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G. Maybe you're thinking of the Galaxy Nexus or using some custom ROM?

Also, it's probably just due to your city because GPS IS needed for Google Now.
    09-17-2012 10:14 AM
    Nope i go into Google now, say Google and it works.
    And since you were so sure about the gps being on are you saying Boston is a magical city?
    09-17-2012 11:16 AM
    Nope i go into Google now, say Google and it works.
    And since you were so sure about the gps being on are you saying Boston is a magical city?
    LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    09-17-2012 12:26 PM
    No, it doesn't work. I've tried it on my Nexus S 4G and a friend's which are both running the stock OTA. Are you saying that the many people who have had Jelly Bean before you are wrong?

And yes, I am sure because I've turned off GPS and Google Now didn't work.

I'm not going to argue with you if you refuse you listen to actual reason.
    09-17-2012 01:25 PM
    I can confirm saying "Google" when in the google now or voice search does NOT active it. You must have some magic Nexus S 4G.
    Also you do NOT need to have GPS turned on to get Google Now to work. I only have location services checked. It works fine.
    09-17-2012 04:00 PM
    We've already established that mine is magic
    09-17-2012 04:46 PM
    Happy to report Google Now went into crazy cards yesterday, LOL.

I went to the Mall here in Laredo yesterday, out the blue cards started flying up left and right:

Drive home time
    Store check-ins
    Weather
    Flight arrival notification for a friend

I was quite pleased with my baby Nexie

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    almath likes this.
    09-24-2012 12:47 PM
    (Reviving old thread to ask a simple Google Now question)

I have a Spring Galaxy Nexus, but my wife has a Nexus S 4G. How do I open Google Now on the Nexus S 4G?

I can easily go to Google Search, but it takes me straight to the search screen. I can't figure out how to get to Google Now "home screen" with the cards. I've long pressed all 4 capacitive buttons and I've gone to the Google Search app in the app drawer.

I'm sure this is something really simple, and I'm just being dense, but please help.
    02-20-2013 04:28 PM
    If you go into search, press the menu buttons and select Google Now. Then turn it on. Try updating her search app too if it still doesn't work.

Also, from above, I never have GPS on and Google Now still works. I also turned off my search history and still get stuff. I just have on location services like the other person.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    jean15paul likes this.
    02-20-2013 04:52 PM
    (Reviving old thread to ask a simple Google Now question)

I have a Spring Galaxy Nexus, but my wife has a Nexus S 4G. How do I open Google Now on the Nexus S 4G?

I can easily go to Google Search, but it takes me straight to the search screen. I can't figure out how to get to Google Now "home screen" with the cards. I've long pressed all 4 capacitive buttons and I've gone to the Google Search app in the app drawer.

I'm sure this is something really simple, and I'm just being dense, but please help.
    For me, just tap the search button and it pops up. Or long press for voice search. If google search is outdated it may not work. Verify everything is updated from the play store also. You could also try from the lock screen
    jean15paul likes this.
    02-20-2013 06:37 PM