Significant decrease in battery life with JB

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing this? I never had this issue with ICS; it started right after installing JB. I have all location services, GPS, and Google Now turned off. Besides Gmail, I don't have any other synced services.
uploadfromtaptalk1347597465950.jpg

The above is strictly with the phone in standby and without any use. Why would Android OS be consuming so much memory? On ICS the biggest consumption was the screen for me.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
You are getting better battery life than me right now. Within 2 hours I have 67% and thats when I am barely using the phone. Idk what the issue is with JB but it is killing my batter

thejesusegg

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of you guys are syncing exchange based email, but my Nexus S 4G has had a huge battery draining bug related to the built-in email apps exchange services. My Android OS was wicked high and exchange was also very high on usage. I disabled the built-in email app and have been using Enhanced Email for my exchange syncing and now my battery life is back to GB levels.

Not sure if this applies to either of your situations, but I figured that I would pass it along.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is my battery life
uzuda8yj.jpg

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Im stock now but before the app I used to get about 10h screen time

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

10 hours of screen time on a single charge? That can't be right. Do you have the stock battery? If so I want to know what setting your running. My best on ICS was 3 and half hours.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Zstephen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Since I've had all of today free, I've been running a logcat while my ns is "idle" and have noticed several google systems (launcher, vending, calendar, music, maps, even NFC which is turned off) constantly refreshing every three to five minutes or so, that I was not used to seeing with ICS on top of my usual background apps
Also noticed Swype keyboard and Beautiful Widgets (set to refresh on screen wake) running constantly which they did not do in ICS to my knowledge
I dont know if that helps anyone out, but I'm going to try a day with no google syncing on and see how that does for my battery issue

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
This could be the cause of my horrible battery life. When I go to sleep I see that my phone is woken up while the screen never turned on. What's the point of an android phone if I can't leave Google sync on. My working theory is that it's Google now causing a problem. Going to turn off Google now before bed to see if I still get wake locks.

Since I've had all of today free, I've been running a logcat while my ns is "idle" and have noticed several google systems (launcher, vending, calendar, music, maps, even NFC which is turned off) constantly refreshing every three to five minutes or so, that I was not used to seeing with ICS on top of my usual background apps
Also noticed Swype keyboard and Beautiful Widgets (set to refresh on screen wake) running constantly which they did not do in ICS to my knowledge
I dont know if that helps anyone out, but I'm going to try a day with no google syncing on and see how that does for my battery issue

Zstephen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried leaving Google Now off for about a day, the change in battery drain seemed negligible

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've never liked carrying a charger with me nor have I purchased a 2nd battery as back up, but with JB I have to now carry charger with me if I plan to be out most of the day. I'm thinking one of the culprits is Sprint's weak signal, which causes battery to really have to work.Think about it if you have a Nexus 7, no phone data, excellent battery life. Might just be my weird thinking.

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Exchange services is killing my battery life. It was always a major player but my battery life has gone from 8-10 hours to 4. I am going to disable exchange services tomorrow and see if things improve.

bfnaught

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Exchange services killed my battery life. Went from 8 hours or so, to about 3. Stopped exchange, and battery life is back to where it was before.

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Everything with the JB updated runs smoothly and is much more polished. However I am noticing significant battery drain coming from Google wallet. Each day I have to force stop wallet upon turning the device on to keep Google wallet from using over 40% of battery. I do not use wallet and have NFC turned off so this is annoying step to conserve battery.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you are only syncing things you need under your google account. Also if you are rooted you can always disable google wallet.
Try opening up the app to make sure its not stuck signing in. If you are signed in sign out of the app.
I had this happen before.

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Disabling exchange services drastically improved my battery life. Now I just need something to handle my email. Maps may be the next thing I look in to.

Grey_girl

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to second this. I received the OTA this morning, and this happened to me this afternoon. Removed the phone from the charger, went to a long meeting. 2.5 hours later, the previously full battery was down to 14% remaining and dropping fast. I checked the usage, and it's mostly all Exchange Services, followed by Screen and then Maps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon