Ford Sync no longer streams my bluetooth audio.

Derrick Mathias

May 13, 2017
Visit site
If you unhook your positive battery terminal for 15mins and hook it back up it will do a hard reset on the sync system and work I was told to pull the fuse but on a Ford fusion it is next to impossible to get to the in cab fuse box with on pulling​ a bunch of trim off

raisnash

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey.

Easier fix Get someone to call your phone when in the car.
Try and answer and 9 times out of 10 it wont be able to.
following this the screen will freeze.
Then take the key out the car and open the door. This will turn the electrics off.
Then put the key back in so electrics come on.
After a few minutes sync will have initialised and music should work.
I do this everytime the sync stops. Its not a permanent fix but good if you really need it to restart.

This absolutely worked for me! Awesome fix!

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Hey.

Easier fix Get someone to call your phone when in the car.
Try and answer and 9 times out of 10 it wont be able to.
following this the screen will freeze.
Then take the key out the car and open the door. This will turn the electrics off.
Then put the key back in so electrics come on.
After a few minutes sync will have initialised and music should work.
I do this everytime the sync stops. Its not a permanent fix but good if you really need it to restart.

I had a similar fix.

It involved pressing play and then spamming the hell out of the "Skip/Next Song" button on sync until the screen froze.
Sync rebooted and then everything was back to normal.

In a technical explanation I would assume that communication between SYNC and your phone follows a protocol. Sync would send a command, your phone would acknowledge. Your phone commands and sync acknowledges etc.
So... I think SYNC maybe sent a command to which your phone did not acknowledge, thus causing sync to wait for the previous acknowledgements indefinitely (which will never be sent). It maybe cannot process a command until the previous one was fulfilled. So if you spam it with commands, it will disrupt the command queue and cause a system freeze and then force it to reboot (like pulling the fuse would).
Not based on facts though.

C Tatum

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
You don't have to take out a fuse or unpair or anything that requires removing your device. Just press the "voice" button, wait, and say "Bluetooth audio". Now your phone is ready to play music through your car.

Lizzyliz0923

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I have had the same issue with my Ford Fusion SEL and tried all the below options to try and resolve the issue but my media would still not play through my car. I found the master reset option under your bluetooth media options on your vehicle and after you reset the car system then redo everything on your phone to sync it back up to your phone and it should work. after trying everything this has finally Worked for me! I read everyone else's comments on here about things to try and it didn't work and my last resort was too called my manufacturer Ford themselves but then I seen someone commented on that already and said they didn't even know so sure enough the master reset on your vehicle works :)

Laislabonita

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2012 Ford Escape Limited...and same problem ever since I updated SYNC last year; "phone disconnected" which isn't exactly true because I'm still able to get texts and calls through SYNC, but not play music. Called FORD...that was a waste of time. Did a Master Reset on my Note 5, which was also a waste of time because the issue was also happening with other devices. Reset the settings in SYNC, removed my phone from the bluetooth list, nothing worked. Then someone mentioned this fuse. Pulling the SYNC FUSE fixed the problem immediately, but still have to do that every few weeks, but pulling the SYNC fuse definitely fixes the problem, in case you didn't read it the first time.

zerokewl3

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
You don't have to take out a fuse or unpair or anything that requires removing your device. Just press the "voice" button, wait, and say "Bluetooth audio". Now your phone is ready to play music through your car.

I guess we're the only ones that like the easy way?

ok everyone. it's short and sweet. as soon as the music goes out, hit the voice button on your steering wheel and when prompted say "Bluetooth Audio".

The problem is simple. Just like the dropped calls of old sometimes BT devices lose signal for no reason. Once it does this it will go back to the default user sound source which is usually "Line in a.k.a. 3.5mm, or heaphone jack", and won't change back until you tell it to. Of course you hear silence because you didn't plug in the jack. So all you need to do is reconnect. Whether you take out the fuse, disconnect the battery, or use the "Bluetooth Audio" Voice command, you're telling the system to reconnect to the Bluetooth Audio source. So why give yourself a headache, and go the long way? Just sigh, use the bluetooth audio voice command and keep going. You don't even have to pull over!

thorntcl

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
****Make sure to set up your Bluetooth before this. I assume you already did just like me and the SYNC was not playing music through the system.

Push the MENU button
Use the arrow down or up to SELECT SOURCE
Push the OK button
Use the arrow down or up to BLUETOOTH AUDIO

at this point it selects your phone since it was already set up as a Bluetooth device.

and YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to create an account just to say thanks on this!!

Your steps of selecting the bluetooth audio through the SYNC menu is exactly what needed to be done for music to play through my phone.

New music app on phone (Lifes Good 4) - did not work.
Rebooting Sync - did not work
Battery pull - did not work
Fuse - never bothered with this...

once I selected Bluetooth Audio then things worked. I uninstalled the new music app I installed as it didn't display the Artist or song name. I just went back to using the default phone Music app and all working as expected. It plays and displays the songs...

One small problem is I have to go through this menu selection every time I start the car...but hey, just a few buttons to press vs it not working at all...

phm2

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
What to do if audio turns off when Ford sync detects or connects to your / my android phone:

Press on the 'voice' button on your steering wheel if you have it. You will hear your audio again.

kuyadizz

May 26, 2018
Visit site
Where can i find that SELECT SOURCE. I I
OK!!! - I've been googling for a couple of days now. I've seen a lot of "Fuse restarting" solutions, which I'm thinking there has to be a better way of doing this...

I do work with software daily, so I wanted to go through the whole system selection to see if there were any options I missed... THERE WAS. I am not saying this SYNC menu selection is fool proof, it's a hassle to go through and hopefully it sticks once selected.

****Make sure to set up your Bluetooth before this. I assume you already did just like me and the SYNC was not playing music through the system.

Push the MENU button
Push the OK button

at this point it selects your phone since it was already set up as a Bluetooth device.

I was starting to get buyer's remorse after a week of buying a "newer" vehicle hoping to play music off my phone. I hope you now enjoy your vehicle HANDS FREE. (wireless) :-jammin

sencas

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi yeah it’s very annoying but the only thing that I found that works is to pull the fuse. Located inside the vehicle L/hand drive car is behind the glove box on most models. But best to check the owners manual. Ford call it the sync media unit. Pull the fuse and leave out for ten seconds put it back and this generally works.
Hey guys,

Two days after I got Jelly Bean, my Nexus S 4G stopped streaming bluetooth audio to my 2008 Ford Focus via Ford Sync. I can still say "Bluetooth Audio" and it connects my phone and says that it is streaming. My phone confirms that it is connected via bluetooh but it won't play music (unless I turn off the bluetooth button at the top right of the music app and make it play through the phone's speakers). It may be worth noting that using my car's "next track" buttons do NOT change the track that is supposedly streaming from my phone. Notification sounds still play through my car, however.

What I've done so far:

1.) I made sure the volume was up on both my phone and my car (obvious, I know...)
2.) I unpaired my phone with the car and repaired twice with the same results.
3.) I confirmed that my phone will still stream bluetooth audio to other bluetooth devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Mega Aprilia

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
My Aux Button cannot work. Usually when it work, it should be directly connect with bluetooth or Line in (usb). But nothing happened when i press the Aux button. I try to check Menu -> Audio, it said bluetooth is off (usually there's ford Audio). Voice command doesnt work too. And my phone not detect Ford Audio bluetooth as usual.

Already pull the fuses and put it back but still not work. Any suggestion? Mine is ford fiesta 2012

Last edited:

Jan Freil

Oct 30, 2018
Visit site
I'm having this same problem with my 2014 Honda CRV. My GS9 was working (phone connection and audio in my auxiliarymenue) several times now whenbbni push my auxiliary button it shows "no data", but the phone works. I can make and receive calls, but cant play my Amazon music through my car. I can hook up my music through my usb, but my cord is too short and I cant ait my phone on my wireless charger. anyone else have this problem with BT and fixed it?

Vinville

Feb 28, 2019
Visit site
Easy as pie to fix this. Unplug battery cables (clean them while you're there) leave them both off while for a minute or so. Reconnect them, head to seat and BOOM, it works again...

fordlover35

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Hey there! So all of a sudden my sync button on my steering wheel didn’t work, my phone button on my dash didn’t work, I couldn’t select the sync or phone menu and the system settings menu wasn’t even available to perform a master reset.After seeing this post I took my 2014 Ford Focus hatchback to the dealership and they had me schedule an appointment. I told them about the fuse idea from this forum and he said he had never heard of that. Frustrated and determined (despite the fact that I’m a girl) I took matters into my own hands when I got home. I looked in the manual, found the fuse on the passengers side below the glove box, took it out and put it back in and it totally worked! Just wanted to say thank you to whoever posted this. You just saved me a bunch of money. ♥️

Karen Hodgson

May 5, 2019
Visit site
Thank you! This worked for me!
OK!!! - I've been googling for a couple of days now. I've seen a lot of "Fuse restarting" solutions, which I'm thinking there has to be a better way of doing this...

I do work with software daily, so I wanted to go through the whole system selection to see if there were any options I missed... THERE WAS. I am not saying this SYNC menu selection is fool proof, it's a hassle to go through and hopefully it sticks once selected.

Push the MENU button
Push the OK button

I was starting to get buyer's remorse after a week of buying a "newer" vehicle hoping to play music off my phone. I hope you now enjoy your vehicle HANDS FREE. (wireless) :-jammin

Smath73

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all the above - it wasn't my phone - my 2013 mustang wouldn't connect to Bluetooth audio, but my husband's 2014 F-150 would connect . . . Couldn't get to the fuse in my Stang, so I pulled the battery cable. And no, hitting the voice button and saying "Bluetooth audio" didn't work, kept showing no Bluetooth devices available even though the phone clearly worked. Battery pull. That was it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've tried all the above - it wasn't my phone - my 2013 mustang wouldn't connect to Bluetooth audio, but my husband's 2014 F-150 would connect . . . Couldn't get to the fuse in my Stang, so I pulled the battery cable. And no, hitting the voice button and saying "Bluetooth audio" didn't work, kept showing no Bluetooth devices available even though the phone clearly worked. Battery pull. That was it.
Hi, yeah had that happen on my Mustang also and like you mentioned fixed it (my sync)

Glyn Davies2

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
I had this same issue in my 2013 ford focus, which randomly stopped playing music. I knew it wasn't an issue with the Bluetooth connectivity as I could still speak over the phone through my car.

I fixed this issue by disconnecting from the Bluetooth, unplugging the battery, waiting 15 seconds or so, reconnecting the battery, then connecting back into the Bluetooth. After this it worked

People have said to disconnect specifically the negative terminal. I disconnected the positive terminal and it still worked.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is I pressed the autostart button that toggles the autostart on and off. Perhaps this caused some kind of malfunction? Who knows

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20