NS4G: My first Nexus...and my last?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Since the announcement of the Nexus 4 and the controversial decision not to include LTE...I'm wondering if this is a sign that Google is just abandoning the CDMA users altogether for their Nexus line. I completely understand the reasoning as laid out in that article...but the fact that our NS4Gs have all been updated pretty quickly in recent times says to me "where there's a will, there's a way". I don't pretend to know what it all takes, but it seems to me they've managed thus far to iron out the wrinkles on OTA updates for the Sprint Nexus S...why should it be that much more difficult to do so for the Nexus 4?

Anyway...it is sounding highly unlikely that we'll get our own Sprint version of the N4, unless Google has a surprise up its sleeve. At this point I'm not really counting on it. Since I'm not likely to switch carriers just to get a particular phone, it's looking like this might be my first and last Nexus phone. I'm going to keep my eyes on the Optimus G when it comes out...but I may also just hold out until Winter or Spring to upgrade. Then it may be time to finally take a crack at rooting and flashing so that I'll at least get a chance to get to a Nexus-like experience with whatever phone I eventually end up with...

~sigh~

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Since the announcement of the Nexus 4 and the controversial decision not to include LTE...I'm wondering if this is a sign that Google is just abandoning the CDMA users altogether for their Nexus line. I completely understand the reasoning as laid out in that article...but the fact that our NS4Gs have all been updated pretty quickly in recent times says to me "where there's a will, there's a way". I don't pretend to know what it all takes, but it seems to me they've managed thus far to iron out the wrinkles on OTA updates for the Sprint Nexus S...why should it be that much more difficult to do so for the Nexus 4?

Anyway...it is sounding highly unlikely that we'll get our own Sprint version of the N4, unless Google has a surprise up its sleeve. At this point I'm not really counting on it. Since I'm not likely to switch carriers just to get a particular phone, it's looking like this might be my first and last Nexus phone. I'm going to keep my eyes on the Optimus G when it comes out...but I may also just hold out until Winter or Spring to upgrade. Then it may be time to finally take a crack at rooting and flashing so that I'll at least get a chance to get to a Nexus-like experience with whatever phone I eventually end up with...

~sigh~

I am hopefull. They only stated no lte, but they did comment that they will make an effort to get the device to every provider. So I imagine it will come to both sprint and verizon CDMA providers, just sans 4G

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
WiMax is an open standard while LTE isn't, so it isn't completely surprising that Google worked out the issues with the NS4G but still hasn't worked things out with the GNEX. No LTE would make the N4 a non-starter for me on Sprint as the 3G speeds are just terrible for me. While I'd prefer a Nexus device over anything else, I'll likely pick my next device based on what can be unlocked and rooted as well as having LTE. Assuming LTE comes to my area.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm super dissappointed in this also. I really wanted the NEXUS4. I'm not sure what I am going to do either.
There is a chance I might leave sprint and go to Tmobile pre-paid monthly but I'm not sure that is an option if the GF wants to stay on Sprint.
I will either have to go with the SG3 or the Note2. Both can be hacked to an almost Nexus like state.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll have to wait till the next gen nexus, when they can possibly release an LTE only phone (that is in theory what carriers are aiming for).

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Disappointed as well here.

No LTE. I can't imagine that Sprint's wimax would be supported. Frankly, why would anyone buy a phone on the Sprint network that could be advertised only as 3G? I know this 4G business is a marketing tool, but the speed that Sprint offers in even its best capacity on 3G is subpar when compared to other networks and their 3G download speeds.

I think this is the place where Google and Sprint go their separate ways. Verizon? Guess it could be said of them as well.

The original concept of AOSP and the Nexus was to be open and unhindered by provider limitations. Roll outs for the NS4G were slow. Experience with the GNex left a lot to be desired. I think there's a fat chance we'll see the N4 in Sprint's line up.

Love to be proven wrong, though.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I will either have to go with the SG3 or the Note2. Both can be hacked to an almost Nexus like state.

Well, that's the idea.

There's nothing really particular about the hardware that can't be replicated in phones coming out this Christmas or q1/q2 2013. It won't be hard to find an AOSP ROM after a period to break-in. Note 2 looks pretty promising, but I don't know if 5 inches is where I want to be when it comes to a phone.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's the idea.

There's nothing really particular about the hardware that can't be replicated in phones coming out this Christmas or q1/q2 2013. It won't be hard to find an AOSP ROM after a period to break-in. Note 2 looks pretty promising, but I don't know if 5 inches is where I want to be when it comes to a phone.

Yeah...Note (either kind) is out for me. My mother was given one for work and I tried it out when she came to visit. I put it in my jeans pocket and it just looked ridiculous and felt really awkward. I guess plenty of folks don't have a problem with it, but it's just too massive for me.

I like the looks of the Optimus G, but I'm also assuming there will be another contender coming in the next few months. If there are any rumors or whispers about a Nexus 4 LTE on Sprint, I may even hold out a while.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I really want a device that similarly sized as the NS4G but no manufacture is making a high-end Android device at 4". Bigger is better at the moment unfortunately.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I really want a device that similarly sized as the NS4G but no manufacture is making a high-end Android device at 4". Bigger is better at the moment unfortunately.

Same here. I don't even need it to be high-end, just decent. Which I'm not sure exists. Perhaps the GS3 Mini if they ever make a Sprint version.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
WiMax is an open standard while LTE isn't, so it isn't completely surprising that Google worked out the issues with the NS4G but still hasn't worked things out with the GNEX. No LTE would make the N4 a non-starter for me on Sprint as the 3G speeds are just terrible for me. While I'd prefer a Nexus device over anything else, I'll likely pick my next device based on what can be unlocked and rooted as well as having LTE. Assuming LTE comes to my area.

LTE Will come to you. Is everything goes right. 99% of the Sprint network should have lte by the end off 2013, if that really happens I just hope it does

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe at this period in time the NS4G was my favorite. Simply because unlike my Sprint GNex, the NS4G has full support from AOSP. Sure it took a bit longer than the rest of the Nexus S family to get it but never the less it has it. My GNex on the other hand has great dev support but lets face it without the dedication of the developers it wouldn't be that great on the Sprint GNex version because Sprint has yet to drop one bit of source to AOSP for the GNex. This makes me very upset as I like building from source, which can be done but there are many hoops to jump thru to do so with the GNex.
Aside from that the NS4G was a fun device. I ran a mess of ROMs, mods and many different hacks on my NS4G. Come on its a device that should of been put to bed a while back and its still getting love and doing well in the JB scene and I'm sure before long the devs will have Android 4.2 ROMs available for it.

Only issue I really ever had with my NS4G is the poor WIFI connection. 3g/4g (WiMAX) always performed fairly well for me it was just the limited range of the WIFI that aggravated me. Overall its a solid device and once I do finally say goodbye to it for good it will be missed but will always be remembered as one of my most favorite Android phones.

On the subject of the Nexus 4. I'm not upset. I understand the direction Google is going, they don't want to deal with the closed licensing of LTE and the headaches. They like it simple, open sourced and least amount of red tape which they can't achieve with producing a LTE based Nexus in today's market with carriers like Verizon & Sprint.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Always a good analysis from Paul. I experimented with a friend's GSIII today, and felt it was probably the upper limit in terms of size I should want.

Currently carry around a Transformer Prime with me at work, although I am considering the Microsoft Surface when it comes out with full blown Windows 8...really am more productive with a laptop in my job.

Definitely love my NS4G, but I'll be ready for the next big Android device when it comes out Q3 2013.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Likely because my ns4g has never seen 4g service, lte isn't a deal breaker to me. I want it but don't need it. I am still on the fence whether it is the right move right now for me but lte isn't a factor to. Honestly been thinking of switching providers. Sprint has really sucked for me the last few years.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if I were moving anywhere but Verizon, the whole N4 not having LTE wouldn't matter at all. HOWEVER, since I'm likely to move from my current family plan with my wife onto a plan with my parents (which is weird. Man, I'm 30, but he works for a college and gets 20% off and I work in a kitchen. Can't beat that with a stick), I really wish that either Google would make nice with LTE or the LGOptiG would come to a provider I can work with. /sad.

In other news, I'll be joining the NS4G crowd officially some time in the next week or so, depending on shipping. Oh, and hi Hlx. I'm totally not stalking you. '-)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Look just cause Google didn't release the CDMA version yet us sprint and Verizon customers actin all buthurt lol to my understanding didn't vzw get the galaxy nexus first on CDMA then the gsm version was released how do we know they arent doing it vice versa this time gsm then CDMA which we don't know won't have lte meaning the carriers will put it on

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

themizarkshow

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I would love to have the Nexus4... but it looks like that won't happen. The NS4G was the perfect size for me but it looks like I will be forced to go bigger if I want a phone that can last two years.

Whatever happens, I will be rooting back to as vanilla as possible.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Look just cause Google didn't release the CDMA version yet us sprint and Verizon customers actin all buthurt lol to my understanding didn't vzw get the galaxy nexus first on CDMA then the gsm version was released how do we know they arent doing it vice versa this time gsm then CDMA which we don't know won't have lte meaning the carriers will put it on

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

They haven't even hinted at a CDMA release. In fact, they've made numerous justifications for NOT going CMDA and/or LTE. I'm not optimistic...but I sure hope to be proven wrong!