Release Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbykr

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
hi all, first time post, long time reader, and a quick question, if you think i should move to a different thread let me know.

went to the sprint store two days ago and the guys were clueless about pre-ordering the nexus and we all agreed it would be easier to wait when it comes in. he took down my name and told me he would just set one aside for me when they arrived. he also said he would call me a few days before when they knew they were coming in.

however, im in a bad spot because my wife is switching jobs and her existing at&t plan is up this thursday the 21st. i want to add her to my ind. plan and start a family plan + get her the nexus. i have a few old backup phones i could use in the meantime if the nexus doesn't come in for a few weeks, but my question is if i walk into the sprint store and start a new account for her with a backup phone, will they still let me use the new 'sign up' credit for the nexus when it finally comes in? any suggestions are appreciated.

Better to not take the chance, go get her another phone (EVO for example) and just return it within 30 days to change it to the Nexus S. Best Buy won't charge you to do this, Sprint store will.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Better to not take the chance, go get her another phone (EVO for example) and just return it within 30 days to change it to the Nexus S. Best Buy won't charge you to do this, Sprint store will.

That's exactly what I did to get my EVO when it came out. Bought the Hero (I was so tired of my Palm Centro - 3 years) so I could learn the OS and traded it back in when the EVO released. Best thing I ever did. My only regret is not joining in on the rooting fun till just recently. Only problem now is choosing what ROM to run till they finally release the Nexus. :p
Oh yeah, before I forget...I asked the guy at the Radio Shack here in the mall and he said he's heard any between the middle of May to the beginning of June. Just rumors for now of course, but I hope it isn't true. Just wanted to drop that bit of info.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, before I forget...I asked the guy at the Radio Shack here in the mall and he said he's heard any between the middle of May to the beginning of June. Just rumors for now of course, but I hope it isn't true. Just wanted to drop that bit of info.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I thought the Nexus was going to be a Best Buy retail exclusive?

krische

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to follow @craigwann lead on this one and tell myself 5/8, way better then a June date

Me too. My pre is on it's last breath and I'm going on vacation later this week. I'd rather have a phone that can last a whole day. So I'll probably pick up an EVO and assuming nexus comes out 5/8 I can swap then.

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I still don't buy into the May 8th date. The Replenish IS announced for that date and they just NEVER schedule two phones to release on the same day. I mean, sure it COULD happen.... but I think it is doubtful.... or maybe I'm just being hopeful that it will be before that....

Lord Nexus

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't understands sprints thinking

I dont understand it.... why keep pushing back a phone that is a great stock android phone, but technologically is behind the times slightly.... Sprints competitors are releasing dual cores with expandable memory among other things and Sprint keeps pushing back the nexus which was behind the curve when tmobile launched it. I still want it because it's stock. As of right now Sprint has the worst lineup of all the carriers.... Launch the Nexus Sprint!!!!!

railstop

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand it.... why keep pushing back a phone that is a great stock android phone, but technologically is behind the times slightly.... Sprints competitors are releasing dual cores with expandable memory among other things and Sprint keeps pushing back the nexus which was behind the curve when tmobile launched it. I still want it because it's stock. As of right now Sprint has the worst lineup of all the carriers.... Launch the Nexus Sprint!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Android doesn't support dual cores yet. The idea of getting a "Google" phone is that there is no bloatware, it's a developer phone, you are first to receive new OS's.
The phone being pushed back only makes sense due to manufacturing issues and supply constraints from Japan plants.

krische

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Just visited my Sprint store. Talked to the rep there and she said the Nexus S 4G should be released in a 2-3 weeks. She wasn't sure why there wasn't an official date yet.

So I ended up walking out with an EVO. Rooting it now and throwing CM7 on it to get the "vanilla" android.

Naes993

Oct 19, 2010
Www.seanmckenna.info
I work at sprint and they don't tell us much but I know they are running a promo to sell the most in may and we put up posters today for it. I think they are holding off giving a date Thinking I'm actually gonna push the Echo... Hah! I don't like returns lol. But yeah, a bunch of coming soons

Reactions: craigwann

redfro1979

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I switched to sprint a couple weeks ago because she gets a nice discount through her work I wanted to wait because I knew they would be dropping some new phones soon. Well, the evo is nice but I really want the nexus. Does anyone have a clue how I might be able to twist some arms to make this happen? Will they let me return the evo and put money down on the nexus and then go phoneless till it drops? I believe our 30 days is up the 27th. Will they buckle if we threaten to leave? I knew we should have waited to sign up...will be upset if I can't make it happen and miss by a few days. Any suggestions?

craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sprint should let you return the Evo as long as you are within your 30 days. They shouldn't care if you're without a phone. They will just give you an upgrade credit to use when the phone comes out I believe.

redfro1979

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope so...I'm set on getting the nexus. I'm not impressed with the evo's screen. The hummingbird processor on the epic seemed a little more responsive. No bloatware...yes please.

jp22382

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Looking back at this and hoping there is some pattern.

Article was posted here April 2nd, ECHO is listed as new, launched yesterday the 17th. 2 weeks difference.

Replenish date is listed 4/25, now we know it launches on 5/8. 2 weeks again.

So *hopefully* the 4/18 date for the Nexus means it will launch on 5/1...

2ntcp5k.jpg

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
5/1 5/8

We have all seen May 1st and May 8th dates floating through the forums, but Sprint usually doesn't release jack on a Sunday, so hopefully sprint employees can pick up their training in two or three weeks and we can see the phone May 2nd or 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21