Release Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redball

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If it comes out tomorrow that would be cool. BestBuy.com says Coming Soon on store pickup and shipping. Just like Teddy Brukshut said you can't add it to your cart.

craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth

For what it's worth, I live chatted with a best buy rep. She she is expecting the phone to hit stores on the 20th, but it's not set in stone. Also, she recommended I preorder because she's been getting lots of interest already.

Attaching a screenshot of the chat session so you can see exactly what she said.

5587690814_01a6dbf9e5.jpg

Last edited:

craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter, it will come out in April sometime and I can't wait to get it and root it and start the hacking. :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, not yet an Android user. Why are you planning on rooting it? I thought the whole point of the Nexus was that you didn't have to root it. (I know, pure google, fast updates...)

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question, not yet an Android user. Why are you planning on rooting it? I thought the whole point of the Nexus was that you didn't have to root it. (I know, pure google, fast updates...)

I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that people root their phones in order to be able to swap ROM's with ease or just install a whole new ROM. Plus with a rooted phone you have access to more system level processes and thus can do things like overclock the already speedy processor, install a whole new kernel providing overclocking itself and/or undervolting to preserve battery. Also, I'm sure people will try to manage to get free wifi or 4g tethering once they are rooted since sprint is making us pay for the hot spot feature.

This is all off the top of my head. Others will chime in I'm sure.

alexnaoumi

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
my upgrade is may 1st, but i asked a sprint rep and she said i can upgrade on the 18th of this month. on bestbuy's website, it says im eligible for an early upgrade. will best buy (in store) let me preorder the nexus s 4g (i really want one on launch day) because to preorder it, it requires that i renew my contract.

sorry if that seems like a really stupid question.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
my upgrade is may 1st, but i asked a sprint rep and she said i can upgrade on the 18th of this month. on bestbuy's website, it says im eligible for an early upgrade. will best buy (in store) let me preorder the nexus s 4g (i really want one on launch day) because to preorder it, it requires that i renew my contract.

sorry if that seems like a really stupid question.

If you pre order in person at best buy it will do nothing to your contract. Only when you come pick up the phone on release day is when they will use your upgrade. All you do when you pre order in store is buy a $50 gift card that counts as a pre order and goes towards the final purchase price.

craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
looks like the 6th date was an error on Best Buy's website according to Phil's article. Looks like the last week of April...

cwisuth11

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So who will carry the phone 1st. Best Buy or Sprint?

I was under the impression that they would both release the phone at the same time...according to Sprint's website you should be able to preorder at a Sprint Store. It may just be wishful thinking though as I have a SERO-P plan so may end up having to buy in a Sprint store anyway.

McRoth

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with the Sprint store I went into. They had me leave my name & number & will supposedly set one aside for me to pick up. Hopefully they remember!

alexnaoumi

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
If you pre order in person at best buy it will do nothing to your contract. Only when you come pick up the phone on release day is when they will use your upgrade. All you do when you pre order in store is buy a $50 gift card that counts as a pre order and goes towards the final purchase price.

so who do i preorder from, bestbuy or sprint?

craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Strange that the sprint stores aren't doing the preorder. I think I am going to come in with a print out of the webpage directing me to preorder at the sprint store when I try. Could it be that the sprint-owned stores can preorder, but the reseller stores can't?

alexnaoumi

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Strange that the sprint stores aren't doing the preorder. I think I am going to come in with a print out of the webpage directing me to preorder at the sprint store when I try. Could it be that the sprint-owned stores can preorder, but the reseller stores can't?

i think so. same thing happened to my bro when he wanted to pre order his epic, only 1 sprint store in my area could do (which is the authorized seller)

blu8503

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have four Sprint stores near by but only one can actually do anything besides let you pay your bill, that is the store I went to. I hate going to that store it is always packed, I had to wait in line for a little while only to get up there and have the manager say "We aren't taking pre-orders for it yet we don't even know when it is coming out." I said "On the sprint website this is the store i was told to come to for Nexus S 4G pre-ordering." she said "sorry" and I said "I wanted to come here first but I will walk right next door to best buy where they will take my money." Just really made me mad, the website clearly pointed me to that store and I waited in line only for them to say that. I went to best buy and i loved the experience I received from them so far.

Label facing right

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but found a page on bestbuy.com that has the off contract price (for those of us that aren't uprgrading a contract to get this phone). 699.99 off contract, makes me glad I still have friends that work at best buy mobile that will give me their discount.
link-> Samsung - Nexus S 4G Mobile Phone from Google - Black (Sprint) - SPHD720KIT

Edit: Nevermind, Phil just emialed me letting me know it's just a placeholder and will be 529 off contract.

Last edited:

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but found a page on bestbuy.com that has the off contract price (for those of us that aren't uprgrading a contract to get this phone). 699.99 off contract, makes me glad I still have friends that work at best buy mobile that will give me their discount.
link-> Samsung - Nexus S 4G Mobile Phone from Google - Black (Sprint) - SPHD720KIT

Edit: Nevermind, Phil just emialed me letting me know it's just a placeholder and will be 529 off contract.

BestBuy always jacks up the full retail price on all their phones compared to everyone else, it will be cheaper full retail at Sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca