01-24-2012 01:53 AM
206 1234 ...
tools
    That makes sense, since I believe May 7th is when sprints 'instant rebate' goes away and everything falls back to mail in rebates. They are just driving people to Best Buy doing this.
    Yep, that's why I preordered at Best Buy.
    04-23-2011 03:43 PM
    Just spoke with a manager at Best Buy mobile and he told me that I likely would not be able to download Telenav for the Nexus S 4G through the market. I dunno what to believe now! Cant stand Google Nav!
    04-23-2011 04:14 PM
    Not getting telenav through the market kinda makes sense since sprint navigation is intended for sprint customers only, you should still be able to download it from sprint directly though.
    04-23-2011 06:05 PM
    Gbil is there any specific links or tutorials you recommend for rooting, flashing etc specifically or focusing on the NS?
    04-23-2011 06:08 PM
    Not getting telenav through the market kinda makes sense since sprint navigation is intended for sprint customers only, you should still be able to download it from sprint directly though.
    What do you mean directly through Sprint???
    04-23-2011 08:48 PM
    Not that its the same but I got to play with a tmo ns. It's SWEET.
    04-23-2011 09:30 PM
    Which ROM would you recommend for LED notifications? I'm not yet an android user, so I have obviously never flashed a rom before. Will I loose all of my data when I flash a new rom? Will it void my Sprint warranty?
    None. Everything out there is for the GSM Nexus S. Everyone will have to be very careful that they don't download work for the wrong version. All the hard work has been done with the GSM version, so i imagine goodies for the 4G version won't take long to come around

Just spoke with a manager at Best Buy mobile and he told me that I likely would not be able to download Telenav for the Nexus S 4G through the market. I dunno what to believe now! Cant stand Google Nav!
    There will be a section of the market that's only available if you have a Sprint device. Having Telenav in there is actually a great idea, hope they do that.

Gbil is there any specific links or tutorials you recommend for rooting, flashing etc specifically or focusing on the NS?
    Sort of. Have a look here http://forum.androidcentral.com/sams...t-2-3-3-a.html

Now that there is a Nexus S that might sell more than a few devices (lol) I'll make things less geek and more user friendly. What everyone needs to do to prepare is get the Android SDK up and running. After that, it's all a set of standard commands to do everything -- the same commands that work on the ION, The Nexus One, and the GSM Nexus S will work for the Sprint version.

Don't worry. Consumer interest in Nexus phones is something I've been waiting for -- we'll have a hacking section up and running

Not that its the same but I got to play with a tmo ns. It's SWEET.
    04-23-2011 10:30 PM
    Could we add Sprint NFL App on the device?
    04-23-2011 11:14 PM
    Could we add Sprint NFL App on the device?
    I was told that none of the Sprint apps are included on the phone, but they will be available from Sprint. I don't know if that means the market, or the Sprint website.
    MNTwinsFan likes this.
    04-24-2011 12:17 AM
    Wow way to Go Jerry thanks for sharing your two cents on the NS i have been on the fence with EVO 3D/NS 4G only stats that were pulling me to the EVO 3D is dual core more RAM and the bigger screen. But the NS makes up with a sexier design, fancier screen and easily hacked.

I was just concerned about this phone getting left in the dust 6mth to 10mths from now...when say OS "J" (the desert after Ice cream) And they say its only supports dual core phones or something like that.

Also Battery life ok? compared your Optimus or EVO?
    04-24-2011 01:54 PM
    The Nexus sounds great and I am starting to understand all of the advantages of owning one. But I still don't think that it will better than the EVO 3D.
    04-24-2011 01:58 PM
    How is stock Gingerbread compared to stock Froyo?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk
    04-24-2011 02:44 PM
    Since it uses gingerbread, which has hardware acceleration, is the web browsing really smooth? Smoother and more responsive then my epic4G's browsing?

This is a highly debated question. Do you recommend I purchase the nexus if I have a epic? I want the nexus because its just like my epic but way thinner. Also I will enjoy that I can get the newest updates, but I heard that google will output updates to once a year so maybe it's not worth it. Also the way I see it, all these new processors won't be used much since most developers will make their apps on the nexus. I purchased my epic solely on it's gpu capabilities and I ever really saw many apps utilize it's power... So im guessing I'll be happy with the nexus and not feel like my phone is slow compared to the others.
    04-24-2011 04:06 PM
    I have a question....

Why can't the nexus s record 720p and will it ever?? It has the hardware (at least i believe it does...) This is a little bit of a let down to me.

Is there anything that can be done?

and also is it true that the nexus S has the best battery life out of all high-end android devices??

I really want this phone but the HD recording should be standard in my eyes!
    04-24-2011 04:15 PM
    Sprint users can usually get nascar and NLF by texting the word "football" or "nascar" to 7777 and they send you a link to download the apk onto your phone. Thats a sprint thing and not phone specific so i'm sure the same logic applies for the NS.

As long as ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Sprint then Sprint apps should work.
    04-24-2011 06:03 PM
    Wow way to Go Jerry thanks for sharing your two cents on the NS i have been on the fence with EVO 3D/NS 4G only stats that were pulling me to the EVO 3D is dual core more RAM and the bigger screen. But the NS makes up with a sexier design, fancier screen and easily hacked.

I was just concerned about this phone getting left in the dust 6mth to 10mths from now...when say OS "J" (the desert after Ice cream) And they say its only supports dual core phones or something like that.

Also Battery life ok? compared your Optimus or EVO?
    Nobody can second guess Google, so you may very well be right

Battery life comparison isn't really fair, because my NS is GSM, but here goes anyway lol
    On all my phone I sync:
    a Gmail account
    2 IMAP mail accounts
    2 Twitter accounts (10 minute sync)
    Google reader
    Pulse (3 hour sync)
    Beautiful Widgets weather (2 hour sync)
    Google Voice
    Google Talk
    contacts
    7 calendars
    Astrid (6 hour sync with Google tasks)
    DoggCatcher (every 6 hours)
    Tapatalk
    Wordsmith

On my Evo, with WiFi I get a day out of the battery and could probably go longer. The Optimus (GSM) Needs charged every night, but when I'm using it I'm never home . The NS can get me two days with a custom kernel, and out of the box it always lasted a day +

Again -- GSM vs CDMA so don't read too much into this.

The Nexus sounds great and I am starting to understand all of the advantages of owning one. But I still don't think that it will better than the EVO 3D.
    To each their own

How is stock Gingerbread compared to stock Froyo?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk
    Since it uses gingerbread, which has hardware acceleration, is the web browsing really smooth? Smoother and more responsive then my epic4G's browsing?

This is a highly debated question. Do you recommend I purchase the nexus if I have a epic? I want the nexus because its just like my epic but way thinner. Also I will enjoy that I can get the newest updates, but I heard that google will output updates to once a year so maybe it's not worth it. Also the way I see it, all these new processors won't be used much since most developers will make their apps on the nexus. I purchased my epic solely on it's gpu capabilities and I ever really saw many apps utilize it's power... So im guessing I'll be happy with the nexus and not feel like my phone is slow compared to the others.
    I'll lump these two together

Gingerbread has a few tweaks, both visually and behind the scenes. They don't mean a whole lot to phones that don't have a Hummingbird CPU. But if the phone DOES have the Hummingbird CPU the difference is amazing.

Each major update for Android is based around a certain Hardware. Eclair was for the TI OMAP. Froyo was for the Snapdragon. Gingerbread was for the Hummingbird, and Honeycomb was for the Tegra. Google writes OS improvements for their reference hardware.

No phones run Gingerbread better than the Hummingbird, just like no phones run Froyo better than the Snapdragon. Don't buy into the dual core hype until the OS is really designed for it.

I have a question....

Why can't the nexus s record 720p and will it ever?? It has the hardware (at least i believe it does...) This is a little bit of a let down to me.

Is there anything that can be done?

and also is it true that the nexus S has the best battery life out of all high-end android devices??

I really want this phone but the HD recording should be standard in my eyes!
    No idea man. If they enable it, I just hope it's better than the other "HD" video on other phones.
    Johnly, RamboDroid and blu8503 like this.
    04-24-2011 07:42 PM
    Hey Jerry, i am also worried about how big of an intrest we wil see in developers for this phone. I got a feeling not a big pulling due to them waiting for the next hardware set. Therefor is it possible to port ROMs build on the gsm base over to this cdma base?

(sorry i bearly know what im talking about here)

I just see a lot of great ROMs on the gsm and hope to see them or some like them on cdma.
    04-25-2011 04:13 PM
    I think the community will embrace this device. If someone from AC were to make an open source project for this phone, and it were distributed through AC, I'd contribute. I am not willing to maintain though, only contribute
    04-25-2011 04:37 PM
    Probably a simple question, but can you get the swipe keyboard on a nexus like on the other galaxy s devices?
    04-26-2011 01:19 PM
    Probably a simple question, but can you get the swipe keyboard on a nexus like on the other galaxy s devices?
    The phone won't come with it on it because of it being a pure google phone but yes, I've seen swype on the NS. You need to sign up for the swype open beta though.
    04-26-2011 01:49 PM
    Hey Jerry, i am also worried about how big of an intrest we wil see in developers for this phone. I got a feeling not a big pulling due to them waiting for the next hardware set. Therefor is it possible to port ROMs build on the gsm base over to this cdma base?

(sorry i bearly know what im talking about here)

I just see a lot of great ROMs on the gsm and hope to see them or some like them on cdma.
    Should be very easy to port any over. Besides radio(s), the rest should be identical.

I think the community will embrace this device. If someone from AC were to make an open source project for this phone, and it were distributed through AC, I'd contribute. I am not willing to maintain though, only contribute
    Ditto. I'd love to spend any free time fooling with an AOSP project, but there's no way i could maintain one. Hell, I barely have time to drink beer and watch TV

The phone won't come with it on it because of it being a pure google phone but yes, I've seen swype on the NS. You need to sign up for the swype open beta though.
    Swype runs just fine on mine, through the Beta Program like KSmith mentioned.
    04-26-2011 02:26 PM
    My only concern is google will release their next developer device and stop support for the Nexus S like they did with the Nexus1. Considering the NS has been out on t-mobile for a while now, it could be very likely scenario. Have you heard anything about google developing a new "nexus" branded device?

I would hate to buy the NS, then 2 months later it isn't supported by google anymore.
    04-26-2011 04:02 PM
    My only concern is google will release their next developer device and stop support for the Nexus S like they did with the Nexus1. Considering the NS has been out on t-mobile for a while now, it could be very likely scenario. Have you heard anything about google developing a new "nexus" branded device?

I would hate to buy the NS, then 2 months later it isn't supported by google anymore.
    G hasn't stopped support for the N1. It still has an active code tree, and will probably be supported until it's unable to fit the OS onto it's hardware, like the G1. it's just no longer the reference model.

Google will probably release a new nexus phone later this year, but I wouldn't worry about the NS not being supported for the full length of any contract
    04-26-2011 04:33 PM

The Nexus-One is still very well supported by Google. It was the only other phone to officially get Gingerbread after the Nexus-S. I agree with gbhil, the Nexus-S will for sure be supported by Google for at least two years. So I wouldn't worry one bit.

And yes there will be a Nexus-3.0 this Christmas, rumored to be built by LG running a Tegra 3 chipset possibly. But you can always play the waiting game, but then never have a phone. I say get the Nexus-S, best phone out today, who cares about dual core now anyway, until Google has the OS support for it in "Ice Cream"
    04-26-2011 07:31 PM
    Ok this might be a silly question but, what comes in the Nexus S box? wall charger? car charger? USB hookup, wired headphones?
    04-26-2011 07:42 PM
206 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD