01-24-2012 01:53 AM
206 12345 ...
tools
    Ok this might be a silly question but, what comes in the Nexus S box? wall charger? car charger? USB hookup, wired headphones?
    Assuming it comes equipped with the same items/accessories as the Tmo Nexus S it should have the following: USB cable, Wall charger and Ear buds.
    04-27-2011 03:32 AM
    Assuming it comes equipped with the same items/accessories as the Tmo Nexus S it should have the following: USB cable, Wall charger and Ear buds.
    Thanks, so I just need a case and a car charger.
    04-27-2011 09:42 AM
    I am wondering how hard the glass is? I have a Palm Pre and it is plastic, gets all scratched up quickly just with change in my pocket.

The Iphone, I am told, can withstand keys and change no problem.

I'm just wondering if I should get one of those zagg screen protectors. I prefer a naked device.
    04-27-2011 10:51 AM
    I am wondering how hard the glass is? I have a Palm Pre and it is plastic, gets all scratched up quickly just with change in my pocket.

The Iphone, I am told, can withstand keys and change no problem.

I'm just wondering if I should get one of those zagg screen protectors. I prefer a naked device.

From what I remember reading, and don't quote me on it. The Nexus S DOES NOT use gorilla glass, while the rest of Samsung's galaxy S line DOES use it. I remember reading the reason was due to the curve in the glass used on the Nexus S. Now maybe Sprint's version is using Gorilla Glass, who knows. I'm pretty sure the original Nexus S is not.
    04-27-2011 11:03 AM
    You guys think my Palm Pre USB chargers will charge this thing ok?
    04-27-2011 11:13 AM
    From what I remember reading, and don't quote me on it. The Nexus S DOES NOT use gorilla glass, while the rest of Samsung's galaxy S line DOES use it. I remember reading the reason was due to the curve in the glass used on the Nexus S. Now maybe Sprint's version is using Gorilla Glass, who knows. I'm pretty sure the original Nexus S is not.
    Thank you for reply. However, whether or not it uses "gorilla glass" doesn't answer my question. I am wondering from someone who has one how durable the glass they use is in practice. "gorilla glass" is just a name. I have a waterproof jacket that I could take a shower in, it's not "gore-tex" but it does the trick.

Know what I am sayin?

Thank you
    04-27-2011 12:04 PM
    I was just at Best Buy looking at a dummy unit and the back cover of the nexus s 4g was shiny, almost reflective. Is this how the original nexus s looks? I always thought it was black from the pictures I have seen of it.
    04-27-2011 01:57 PM
    I searched all over and even called samsung directly and did not get a good definite answer - as the only way I may truly find out is by physically inspecting it.

My wife has a Sprint Samsung Moment and I am thinking of replacing it with a Sprint Nexus S (I use a Sprint Samsung epic and think she will break it as she is super hard on phones and I don't think the slider can handle her abuse).

From my findings so far, I think the Sprint Samsung Moment uses the same standard battery as the Sprint Nexus S - I hope this is correct, as then I will have some "spare" batteries. The part numbers look the same.

Thanks for your help
    04-27-2011 04:36 PM
    Thank you for reply. However, whether or not it uses "gorilla glass" doesn't answer my question. I am wondering from someone who has one how durable the glass they use is in practice. "gorilla glass" is just a name. I have a waterproof jacket that I could take a shower in, it's not "gore-tex" but it does the trick.

Know what I am sayin?

Thank you
    No Gorilla Glass, no weird coatings or polymers. Plain old hardened glass. I looked into this a lot before i bought one, my poor calloused fingers don't like Gorilla Glass or fancy coatings, and i end up having to use my pinky finger to work the screen.

I beat the hell out of phones, no scratches yet.

I was just at Best Buy looking at a dummy unit and the back cover of the nexus s 4g was shiny, almost reflective. Is this how the original nexus s looks? I always thought it was black from the pictures I have seen of it.
    It's black. Very shiny, very fingerprint-magnety.

I searched all over and even called samsung directly and did not get a good definite answer - as the only way I may truly find out is by physically inspecting it.

My wife has a Sprint Samsung Moment and I am thinking of replacing it with a Sprint Nexus S (I use a Sprint Samsung epic and think she will break it as she is super hard on phones and I don't think the slider can handle her abuse).

From my findings so far, I think the Sprint Samsung Moment uses the same standard battery as the Sprint Nexus S - I hope this is correct, as then I will have some "spare" batteries. The part numbers look the same.

Thanks for your help

thats the OEM battery. Never trust specs on the web.
    mouseglider likes this.
    04-27-2011 05:01 PM
    Thanks Jerry, that was my next question if the screen is holding up with out scratches.

So with that buttoned up i just want to say, Jerry you are my favorite nerd ever! This thread has been a BIG help!
    04-27-2011 11:12 PM

thats the OEM battery. Never trust specs on the web.
    Thanks very much - this IS a Sprint Nexus S correct?

If this is so, than the Sprint Samsung Moment battery IS the same even if you never had a Samsung Moment. I say this, because if you buy the battery by searching a Sprint Nexus S, the cost is around $35'ish, but if you buy it for a Samsung Moment, it cost about $10'ish - same exact part number - this will be Great!
    04-28-2011 03:16 PM
    I'm new to android phones so please forgive me for some of my simple questions. My contract with AT&T is finally over so I'm going to be switching from an iPhone.

On one of the threads I read that the Nexus/Samsungs GPS really sucks. I do use navigation quite a bit so this could be a problem. Do I have to use sammys navi with the nexus? Can't I just download googles gps instead from the marketplace? I kept reading how bad sammys gps is but no one mentioned about downloading another one.

One of the things I like about the iPhone are the podcasts I could download through iTunes. Is there an app on the android market where I could download the podcasts from iTunes?

Off topic, but does sprint have as good of coverage as verizon? Because when I went into the sprint store, I told the rep my friends Verizon phone has really good reception in one area where my AT&T phone doesn't. The rep told me sprint uses the same towers as Verizon so the reception will be the same as a Verizon Phone

Thanks
    04-28-2011 05:07 PM

If this is so, than the Sprint Samsung Moment battery IS the same even if you never had a Samsung Moment. I say this, because if you buy the battery by searching a Sprint Nexus S, the cost is around $35'ish, but if you buy it for a Samsung Moment, it cost about $10'ish - same exact part number - this will be Great!
    I don't think this is a Sprint nexus S because of the sim card above the battery.
    04-28-2011 05:27 PM
    My husband has a Samsung Epic and they sent him a OTA update for the Nav system and now it works great. When he first got the phone a week ago it wouldn't work very well at all. Now he is a happy camper.
    04-28-2011 08:05 PM
    There have been some cutbacks in the Sprint coverage maps. Go to Sprint.com and ask for a coverage map and you will see what I mean.
    04-28-2011 08:07 PM
    There have been some cutbacks in the Sprint coverage maps. Go to Sprint.com and ask for a coverage map and you will see what I mean.
    those maps will be changing to show more coverage in a couple weeks or so after Sprint finishes renegotiating it roaming arrangements.
    maryinredding likes this.
    04-28-2011 08:10 PM
    Yes, your Palm Pre stuff will work with this phone. I am so happy that I don't have to go out and buy a bunch of chargers anymore.
    04-28-2011 08:31 PM
    I was told that none of the Sprint apps are included on the phone, but they will be available from Sprint. I don't know if that means the market, or the Sprint website.
    A list of sprint apps in the market of my rooted Evo.

Sprint music plus, Sprint radio, Sprint football live, Sprint family locator, Qik video by sprint, Sprint mobile alerts, Sprint VRS

Ghil, any chance of another Nexus device being anounced by years end? 2 of the lines of my Family plan w/Sprint are upgrade eligable Oct 1. I don't want to get the NS 4G then have a 3rd gen Nexus rolled out a couple of months later. If and when a 3rd gen comes out I'm sure it would be a duel core or more processor. Oh and I appoligise for not reading the whole thread but how is your battery life? Thanks !!!

check that...saw your responce about battery life. Love my Evo but want better battery life and don't want to wait for os updates anymore is why I'll switch phones and a Nexus is such device. I think Google should play nice with the next Nexus by having it released on multiple carriers on the same day so you don't have people jumping ship because it's not coming to their carrier then poof 3-4 months later it does.
    04-28-2011 10:45 PM
    I don't think this is a Sprint nexus S because of the sim card above the battery.
    Right. This is the T-Mobile version. I was told that the only difference between the two will be the radio, but won't be 100% sure for a couple days until i can get my hands on a Sprint version.

On one of the threads I read that the Nexus/Samsungs GPS really sucks. I do use navigation quite a bit so this could be a problem. Do I have to use sammys navi with the nexus? Can't I just download googles gps instead from the marketplace? I kept reading how bad sammys gps is but no one mentioned about downloading another one.

Completely different hardware and software. GPS on the Nexus S is just fine, both inside and outside.

One of the things I like about the iPhone are the podcasts I could download through iTunes. Is there an app on the android market where I could download the podcasts from iTunes?

No idea. You don't need iTunes with Android to get podcasts though. Just enter the podcast feed url in any of the podcatcher apps and you can DL and listen right from the phone

Ghil, any chance of another Nexus device being anounced by years end? 2 of the lines of my Family plan w/Sprint are upgrade eligable Oct 1. I don't want to get the NS 4G then have a 3rd gen Nexus rolled out a couple of months later. If and when a 3rd gen comes out I'm sure it would be a duel core or more processor. Oh and I appoligise for not reading the whole thread but how is your battery life? Thanks !!!
    No idea about another Nexus coming out. Probably will, but will probably be GSM at least for a while.

Battery life is really good. Screenshot attached, and that's after a 90 minute TWIG video podcast
    04-28-2011 11:34 PM
    Good words to hear, Phil. I've been debating with myself and friends between the Evo 3D and the NS since they were announced-- wanting the Evo for the higher resolution + raw power, and the NS for the lovely screen + size/weight/battery life + vanilla OS.

I think I've been swayed toward the NS camp-- considering the fact that I don't spend a ton of time gaming on my phones, I expect the NS to have enough power to keep up with me for 2 years (unlike my Palm Pre, RIP).
    04-29-2011 12:24 AM
    No truer words have been spoken, stubbs. My Palm Pre will RIP with yours once this phone comes out. It's been a good run but it's time for some fun and plenty of it.
    04-29-2011 12:40 AM
    How do you feel about the lack of an SD card slot? It is the one thing the Nexus S did wrong in my opinion.
    04-29-2011 07:12 AM
    How do you feel about the lack of an SD card slot? It is the one thing the Nexus S did wrong in my opinion.
    Why does everyone complain about the SD card slot, the thing has ~16GB of internal storage, so other than that and maybe easy transferring to a computer, friend, or another phone, what reasons are there?
    04-29-2011 08:14 AM
    Exactly... I have 16gb on my SD card (Optimus) and I have never taken out the card. I have many apps, songs, videos and have not gone over 7gb yet.... Primarily this is a phone and not a mp3 player, gaming device or other gadget that needs more gb.
    I am sure there is a reason for some folks to have a external sd slot... appreciate if someone can chime in the "real" benefits of having external slot as compared to 16 gb internal slot (I understand if internal were smaller, external slot makes all the difference).

Thanks!!

Why does everyone complain about the SD card slot, the thing has ~16GB of internal storage, so other than that and maybe easy transferring to a computer, friend, or another phone, what reasons are there?
    04-29-2011 08:24 AM
    I end up switching phones for various reasons, usually cuz I break them a lot, and having an external sd card means NOT having to save all my pictures or re-transfer music after a reset. Not a huge deal, but it is a benefit.

I had no idea these little nexus phones were so fast. Maybe ill have to consider one after all...
    04-29-2011 09:09 AM
206 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD