01-24-2012 01:53 AM
206 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I've heard there is no blinking LED notification for emails/missed calls/text messages. Any app that will show notifications?
    04-29-2011 06:29 PM
    I've heard there is no blinking LED notification for emails/missed calls/text messages. Any app that will show notifications?
    NoLED - Android app on AppBrain

BLN control - Free for Android | AppBrain.com
    westie3130 likes this.
    04-29-2011 06:33 PM
    I am used to no SD so it doesn't bother me. I don't need 16gb... I can do with 4-6. Question- my wife has an Intercept and it seems like it gets bogged down a lot. What is the response like with the Hummingbird?
    04-29-2011 06:45 PM
    question about the first app you have linked there, is that with the screen off or is this like still torn on the screen but a custom lock screen?
    04-29-2011 08:20 PM
    question about the first app you have linked there, is that with the screen off or is this like still torn on the screen but a custom lock screen?
    with an amoled screen, there isnt a backlight like with lcd so the whole screen doesnt have to come on, just the specific pixels being lit up. If you used that app on a phone with an lcd screen, then essentially then the whole screen would be on.
    drewsonian likes this.
    04-29-2011 08:30 PM
    with an amoled screen, there isnt a backlight like with lcd so the whole screen doesnt have to come on, just the specific pixels being lit up. If you used that app on a phone with an lcd screen, then essentially then the whole screen would be on.
    I can not wait to have this app on my phone, that is soooo much better than a flashing light. Love it want it where is my nexus s 4g
    04-29-2011 08:41 PM
    also a few pages back someone mentioned the instant discount for sprint going away. they extended it to june 7th i believe so you can feel free to go to the sprint store and pay the same price with no mail in.
    04-30-2011 10:48 AM
    No truer words have been spoken, stubbs. My Palm Pre will RIP with yours once this phone comes out. It's been a good run but it's time for some fun and plenty of it.
    I am with the both of you, I can't wait to put my Palm Pre to rest.
    04-30-2011 11:37 AM
    Exactly... I have 16gb on my SD card (Optimus) and I have never taken out the card. I have many apps, songs, videos and have not gone over 7gb yet.... Primarily this is a phone and not a mp3 player, gaming device or other gadget that needs more gb.
    I am sure there is a reason for some folks to have a external sd slot... appreciate if someone can chime in the "real" benefits of having external slot as compared to 16 gb internal slot (I understand if internal were smaller, external slot makes all the difference).

Thanks!!
    I know what you mean, I have 8GB on my Pre and I have videos and plenty of MP3's and still have room left. With Amazon's cloud music service I will never use all 16GB of memory.
    04-30-2011 11:40 AM
    I'd still rather get the phone from Best Buy. Even if its the same price, I'll take RZ points anytime. Plus even though their phone team doesn't know too much usually, I still prefer BB to Sprint stores when it comes to customer service.
    04-30-2011 11:40 AM
    I use a rooted HeroC right now and have some Quick questions:

1. Best method to root this phone? I've seen 12 different ways. Easiest, fool proof way.

2. Once rooted, need to install what apps to manage root? CWM 3.0 and Superuser? Anything else?
    04-30-2011 02:24 PM
    How do you feel about the lack of an SD card slot? It is the one thing the Nexus S did wrong in my opinion.
    Not an issue once I realized I don't need one. Amazon cloud and Ubuntu One play all my music, Picasa holds all my pictures, Google Docs and Dropbox hold all my documents. 1 GB of app storage + 16 GB internal is more than enough now, and things load and run a whole lot faster than they would from a normal SD card.

I am used to no SD so it doesn't bother me. I don't need 16gb... I can do with 4-6. Question- my wife has an Intercept and it seems like it gets bogged down a lot. What is the response like with the Hummingbird?
    You can bog it down if you really try I have a Samsung Gem here for a bit, with the same CPU and RAM as your wife's Intercept. The phones are light years apart in performance.

I use a rooted HeroC right now and have some Quick questions:

1. Best method to root this phone? I've seen 12 different ways. Easiest, fool proof way.

2. Once rooted, need to install what apps to manage root? CWM 3.0 and Superuser? Anything else?
    Have to unthink all that. You enter a command to unlock the bootloader, then flash anything you want to the phone. If you want to flash a modified recovery -- just flash it. If you want to flash a ROM with root privileges -- just flash it. If you want to get fancy and edit permissions on a per file basis -- do it.

Foolproof way:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Then just reboot and pick a ROM to flash.
    04-30-2011 03:08 PM

Have to unthink all that. You enter a command to unlock the bootloader, then flash anything you want to the phone. If you want to flash a modified recovery -- just flash it. If you want to flash a ROM with root privileges -- just flash it. If you want to get fancy and edit permissions on a per file basis -- do it.

Foolproof way:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Then just reboot and pick a ROM to flash.
    And the easiest way to do that is with the android sdk?
    04-30-2011 03:15 PM
    And the easiest way to do that is with the android sdk?
    The only way to do that is with the SDK. But don't worry -- you don't need the JDK or to even set up the SDK and emulator. The hardest part is installing the Windows driver.

Come the fifth, I'll get with someone with one in hand and we'll have something easy and well explained to follow, and once someone (probably Koush) builds a custom recovery everything will be ready for it.
    04-30-2011 03:39 PM
    I don't know if this was already asked, but can I use the wireless tether app on a rooted nexus s. Thought I heard somewhere that you couldn't but it didn't make much sense.
    04-30-2011 05:14 PM
    The only way to do that is with the SDK. But don't worry -- you don't need the JDK or to even set up the SDK and emulator. The hardest part is installing the Windows driver.

Come the fifth, I'll get with someone with one in hand and we'll have something easy and well explained to follow, and once someone (probably Koush) builds a custom recovery everything will be ready for it.
    Awesome, I look forward to it!
    04-30-2011 06:06 PM
    One of the things I like about the iPhone are the podcasts I could download through iTunes. Is there an app on the android market where I could download the podcasts from iTunes?
    I did not see this get answered for you. There are a few apps that will allow you to sync with iTunes - iSyncr is one that comes to mind. Another way to do this though is by using Google Listen - you can then use Google Reader to subscribe to any podcasts you want and use it to manage your subscriptions.
    12MaNy likes this.
    04-30-2011 08:30 PM
    I have never rooted a phone and I read how easy it is. But, do I really need to root my new Nexus S? What will it let me do that I couldn't do without rooting it? If I need a certain function would there be a app for that? Coming from a Palm Pre there were patches that let you get functions that didn't come on the pre, is that the same thing as rooting?
    05-01-2011 10:29 AM
    This is my first post so please be kind.

I will be coming from a Palm Pre to the Nexus S 4G. I am very excited about the phone capabilities, but I had some questions about android.

1) With Webos you can swipe to delete emails. Is there a similar function on Android?

2) I have seen videos and demonstrations of the notification bar. Is is possible to delete a single notification, i.e. a missed call without actually opening up the telephone app?

I have also heard itching thumb is good for recovering webos junkies like me.

Thanks.
    05-01-2011 06:52 PM
    Is the 2.3.4 thats out from Google be able to be used on the NS4G? Or will it ship with 2.3.4?
    05-01-2011 08:09 PM
    Loooong time lurker here, this post has been awesome.

I'm a launch day Pre owner, was third in line @ Sprint that morning. The whole sync to the cloud thing captivated me. It's been a good little phone, I've run completely stock and it filled my needs as far as juggling lots of things and staying organized. I'm not a gamer or a big social networking user. I'm mainly looking for speed, lol. Guess I've been lucky as my only hardware issue is the little port cover fell off a few weeks ago!

I have my 2yr upgrade burning a hole in my pocket and have decided to move to an Android phone, I'll wait and watch on WebOS. I am kind of OCD/hyperorganized and the main question I have is coming in as an absolute newb will the NS4G be easier for me to adapt to than the Evo3D?

I'm all ready pretty sure of what apps I want and if I understand right 'plain vanilla' is a nice clean slate to start with out of the box without having to do any tweaking? I can see myself losing it trying to wrestle with a new OS filled with bells and whistles I don't need or understand and I'm not looking to get into rooting until I'm feeling comfortable.

Thanks again for a great thread.
    05-01-2011 08:17 PM
    It may ship with it but if not you should get the OTA shortly
    05-01-2011 08:18 PM
    Answer towards the shipping side of your two part question. I suppose it will depend on how long they have been sitting on the 2.3.4 release prior to when they actually got the phones "on the water". Unless they can do an OTA while in transit..

We will have to see whom gets theirs in hand first, and see what news they can bring us as I have not read anywhere that has solid answer.

Not exactly useful but for reference the TMo nexus|s I just bought at BB a couple days back has 2.3.1 still

Note: I really like the phone! sorry.. device!

Is the 2.3.4 thats out from Google be able to be used on the NS4G? Or will it ship with 2.3.4?
    05-02-2011 12:15 AM
    Well they have some videos of people testing google video chat on a NS4G so I'm hoping and betting that it will ship with it.
    05-02-2011 12:49 AM
    This is my first post so please be kind.

I will be coming from a Palm Pre to the Nexus S 4G. I am very excited about the phone capabilities, but I had some questions about android.

1) With Webos you can swipe to delete emails. Is there a similar function on Android?
    On Android for the most part, you press and hold for a context sensitive menu to popup with several functions associated with the item you are selecting; much like right-click on a Windows computer.

In the case of emails - using the stock gMail app - you can press and hold on an individual email and select delete from the context sensitive menu, or you can press the menu key and select delete function, this adds a checkbox on every email so you can quickly check all those you want deleted in a batch operation and be done with it.

2) I have seen videos and demonstrations of the notification bar. Is is possible to delete a single notification, i.e. a missed call without actually opening up the telephone app?
    Interesting question, have never tried it but I will and let you know.
    05-02-2011 11:18 AM
206 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD