I'm a total Nexus S fanboy. Ask away

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow way to Go Jerry thanks for sharing your two cents on the NS i have been on the fence with EVO 3D/NS 4G only stats that were pulling me to the EVO 3D is dual core more RAM and the bigger screen. But the NS makes up with a sexier design, fancier screen and easily hacked.

I was just concerned about this phone getting left in the dust 6mth to 10mths from now...when say OS "J" (the desert after Ice cream) And they say its only supports dual core phones or something like that.

Also Battery life ok? compared your Optimus or EVO?

Nobody can second guess Google, so you may very well be right :p

Battery life comparison isn't really fair, because my NS is GSM, but here goes anyway lol
On all my phone I sync:
a Gmail account
2 IMAP mail accounts
2 Twitter accounts (10 minute sync)
Google reader
Pulse (3 hour sync)
Beautiful Widgets weather (2 hour sync)
Google Voice
Google Talk
contacts
7 calendars
Astrid (6 hour sync with Google tasks)
DoggCatcher (every 6 hours)
Tapatalk
Wordsmith

On my Evo, with WiFi I get a day out of the battery and could probably go longer. The Optimus (GSM) Needs charged every night, but when I'm using it I'm never home :p. The NS can get me two days with a custom kernel, and out of the box it always lasted a day +

Again -- GSM vs CDMA so don't read too much into this.

The Nexus sounds great and I am starting to understand all of the advantages of owning one. But I still don't think that it will better than the EVO 3D.

To each their own :)

How is stock Gingerbread compared to stock Froyo?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

Since it uses gingerbread, which has hardware acceleration, is the web browsing really smooth? Smoother and more responsive then my epic4G's browsing?

This is a highly debated question. Do you recommend I purchase the nexus if I have a epic? I want the nexus because its just like my epic but way thinner. Also I will enjoy that I can get the newest updates, but I heard that google will output updates to once a year so maybe it's not worth it. Also the way I see it, all these new processors won't be used much since most developers will make their apps on the nexus. I purchased my epic solely on it's gpu capabilities and I ever really saw many apps utilize it's power... So im guessing I'll be happy with the nexus and not feel like my phone is slow compared to the others.

I'll lump these two together :p

Gingerbread has a few tweaks, both visually and behind the scenes. They don't mean a whole lot to phones that don't have a Hummingbird CPU. But if the phone DOES have the Hummingbird CPU the difference is amazing.

Each major update for Android is based around a certain Hardware. Eclair was for the TI OMAP. Froyo was for the Snapdragon. Gingerbread was for the Hummingbird, and Honeycomb was for the Tegra. Google writes OS improvements for their reference hardware.

No phones run Gingerbread better than the Hummingbird, just like no phones run Froyo better than the Snapdragon. Don't buy into the dual core hype until the OS is really designed for it.

I have a question....

Why can't the nexus s record 720p and will it ever?? It has the hardware (at least i believe it does...) This is a little bit of a let down to me.

Is there anything that can be done?

and also is it true that the nexus S has the best battery life out of all high-end android devices??

I really want this phone but the HD recording should be standard in my eyes!
No idea man. If they enable it, I just hope it's better than the other "HD" video on other phones.

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey Jerry, i am also worried about how big of an intrest we wil see in developers for this phone. I got a feeling not a big pulling due to them waiting for the next hardware set. Therefor is it possible to port ROMs build on the gsm base over to this cdma base?

(sorry i bearly know what im talking about here)

I just see a lot of great ROMs on the gsm and hope to see them or some like them on cdma.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I think the community will embrace this device. If someone from AC were to make an open source project for this phone, and it were distributed through AC, I'd contribute. I am not willing to maintain though, only contribute :)

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey Jerry, i am also worried about how big of an intrest we wil see in developers for this phone. I got a feeling not a big pulling due to them waiting for the next hardware set. Therefor is it possible to port ROMs build on the gsm base over to this cdma base?

(sorry i bearly know what im talking about here)

I just see a lot of great ROMs on the gsm and hope to see them or some like them on cdma.

Should be very easy to port any over. Besides radio(s), the rest should be identical.

I think the community will embrace this device. If someone from AC were to make an open source project for this phone, and it were distributed through AC, I'd contribute. I am not willing to maintain though, only contribute :)

Ditto. I'd love to spend any free time fooling with an AOSP project, but there's no way i could maintain one. Hell, I barely have time to drink beer and watch TV :p

Probably a simple question, but can you get the swipe keyboard on a nexus like on the other galaxy s devices?

The phone won't come with it on it because of it being a pure google phone but yes, I've seen swype on the NS. You need to sign up for the swype open beta though.

Swype runs just fine on mine, through the Beta Program like KSmith mentioned.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My only concern is google will release their next developer device and stop support for the Nexus S like they did with the Nexus1. Considering the NS has been out on t-mobile for a while now, it could be very likely scenario. Have you heard anything about google developing a new "nexus" branded device?

I would hate to buy the NS, then 2 months later it isn't supported by google anymore.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
My only concern is google will release their next developer device and stop support for the Nexus S like they did with the Nexus1. Considering the NS has been out on t-mobile for a while now, it could be very likely scenario. Have you heard anything about google developing a new "nexus" branded device?

I would hate to buy the NS, then 2 months later it isn't supported by google anymore.

G hasn't stopped support for the N1. It still has an active code tree, and will probably be supported until it's unable to fit the OS onto it's hardware, like the G1. it's just no longer the reference model.

Google will probably release a new nexus phone later this year, but I wouldn't worry about the NS not being supported for the full length of any contract :)

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

The Nexus-One is still very well supported by Google. It was the only other phone to officially get Gingerbread after the Nexus-S. I agree with gbhil, the Nexus-S will for sure be supported by Google for at least two years. So I wouldn't worry one bit.

And yes there will be a Nexus-3.0 this Christmas, rumored to be built by LG running a Tegra 3 chipset possibly. But you can always play the waiting game, but then never have a phone. I say get the Nexus-S, best phone out today, who cares about dual core now anyway, until Google has the OS support for it in "Ice Cream"

va2azerik

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok this might be a silly question but, what comes in the Nexus S box? wall charger? car charger? USB hookup, wired headphones?

indelible5

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok this might be a silly question but, what comes in the Nexus S box? wall charger? car charger? USB hookup, wired headphones?

Assuming it comes equipped with the same items/accessories as the Tmo Nexus S it should have the following: USB cable, Wall charger and Ear buds.

49funky

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glass Durability

I am wondering how hard the glass is? I have a Palm Pre and it is plastic, gets all scratched up quickly just with change in my pocket.

The Iphone, I am told, can withstand keys and change no problem.

I'm just wondering if I should get one of those zagg screen protectors. I prefer a naked device.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering how hard the glass is? I have a Palm Pre and it is plastic, gets all scratched up quickly just with change in my pocket.

The Iphone, I am told, can withstand keys and change no problem.

I'm just wondering if I should get one of those zagg screen protectors. I prefer a naked device.

From what I remember reading, and don't quote me on it. The Nexus S DOES NOT use gorilla glass, while the rest of Samsung's galaxy S line DOES use it. I remember reading the reason was due to the curve in the glass used on the Nexus S. Now maybe Sprint's version is using Gorilla Glass, who knows. I'm pretty sure the original Nexus S is not.

49funky

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I remember reading, and don't quote me on it. The Nexus S DOES NOT use gorilla glass, while the rest of Samsung's galaxy S line DOES use it. I remember reading the reason was due to the curve in the glass used on the Nexus S. Now maybe Sprint's version is using Gorilla Glass, who knows. I'm pretty sure the original Nexus S is not.

Thank you for reply. However, whether or not it uses "gorilla glass" doesn't answer my question. I am wondering from someone who has one how durable the glass they use is in practice. "gorilla glass" is just a name. I have a waterproof jacket that I could take a shower in, it's not "gore-tex" but it does the trick.

Know what I am sayin?

Thank you

nickmasta

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I was just at Best Buy looking at a dummy unit and the back cover of the nexus s 4g was shiny, almost reflective. Is this how the original nexus s looks? I always thought it was black from the pictures I have seen of it.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I searched all over and even called samsung directly and did not get a good definite answer - as the only way I may truly find out is by physically inspecting it.

My wife has a Sprint Samsung Moment and I am thinking of replacing it with a Sprint Nexus S (I use a Sprint Samsung epic and think she will break it as she is super hard on phones and I don't think the slider can handle her abuse).

From my findings so far, I think the Sprint Samsung Moment uses the same standard battery as the Sprint Nexus S - I hope this is correct, as then I will have some "spare" batteries. The part numbers look the same.

Thanks for your help

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for reply. However, whether or not it uses "gorilla glass" doesn't answer my question. I am wondering from someone who has one how durable the glass they use is in practice. "gorilla glass" is just a name. I have a waterproof jacket that I could take a shower in, it's not "gore-tex" but it does the trick.

Know what I am sayin?

Thank you

No Gorilla Glass, no weird coatings or polymers. Plain old hardened glass. I looked into this a lot before i bought one, my poor calloused fingers don't like Gorilla Glass or fancy coatings, and i end up having to use my pinky finger to work the screen.

I beat the hell out of phones, no scratches yet.

I was just at Best Buy looking at a dummy unit and the back cover of the nexus s 4g was shiny, almost reflective. Is this how the original nexus s looks? I always thought it was black from the pictures I have seen of it.

It's black. Very shiny, very fingerprint-magnety.

I searched all over and even called samsung directly and did not get a good definite answer - as the only way I may truly find out is by physically inspecting it.

My wife has a Sprint Samsung Moment and I am thinking of replacing it with a Sprint Nexus S (I use a Sprint Samsung epic and think she will break it as she is super hard on phones and I don't think the slider can handle her abuse).

From my findings so far, I think the Sprint Samsung Moment uses the same standard battery as the Sprint Nexus S - I hope this is correct, as then I will have some "spare" batteries. The part numbers look the same.

Thanks for your help

30uxr9d.jpg

thats the OEM battery. Never trust specs on the web.

Reactions: mouseglider

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Jerry, that was my next question if the screen is holding up with out scratches.

So with that buttoned up i just want to say, Jerry you are my favorite nerd ever! This thread has been a BIG help!