Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as we are all WebOS users how you guys have your 5 screens set up? I can't seem to get things to my liking yet. So far though the phone is great. I'm not sad one bit I left my old hardware behind. So many apps, so much customization. I already have ditched the stock messaging app for Go SMS pro and download NoLED for notifications when the screen is off.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as we are all WebOS users how you guys have your 5 screens set up? I can't seem to get things to my liking yet. So far though the phone is great. I'm not sad one bit I left my old hardware behind. So many apps, so much customization. I already have ditched the stock messaging app for Go SMS pro and download NoLED for notifications when the screen is off.

Main screen (3rd panel) has Search Widget, Wide Weather Channel Widget, and 2 rows of apps:

Row 1:

-Tapatalk
-Logitech Google TV remote
-Intercall (Cisco Webex controller)
-Car Home

Row 2:

-Email
-Calendar
-Gtalk
-Gvoice

Far left Panel:

FlightView Widget

Second Panel:

Empty

4th Panel:

Marketplace (stock config)

5th Panel:

Toggle bar (stock config)

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I added a LED widget, all the apps I have downloaded went to the home screens. A power and clock/news widget was also added. Too bad there isn't a InterfaceLift app available. Had to resort to using wallpapers from the website. The Backdrops app doesn't have a very clean interface that is on android.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys, pre owner here that ordered the nexus online last night. I am starting to hear a lot of bugs with the nexus. Someone please talk me off the ledge here.

-WiFi issues related to bad connection very short distance from router.
-browser issues, very buggy with any flash or images on standard browser
-generally underwhelmed with the features.

Is this how everyone's experience is going?

Also, I went to a store to play with one but they had nothing I could try. The guy let me hold an unactivated one that was turned off. So I couldnt see the screen or anything. It seemed somewhat thin. How do you like the screen size? My small pre screen is one of the things I hated most.

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Guys, pre owner here that ordered the nexus online last night. I am starting to hear a lot of bugs with the nexus. Someone please talk me off the ledge here.

-WiFi issues related to bad connection very short distance from router.
-browser issues, very buggy with any flash or images on standard browser
-generally underwhelmed with the features.

Is this how everyone's experience is going?

Also, I went to a store to play with one but they had nothing I could try. The guy let me hold an unactivated one that was turned off. So I couldnt see the screen or anything. It seemed somewhat thin. How do you like the screen size? My small pre screen is one of the things I hated most.

Honestly dude, pull the trigger. It has been a great device so far... although I've had it only 24 hours. I've noticed that the bars don't seem accurate with wifi or my cell reception, but I've had no problem with connectivity. I am loving the device and all the apps to play with. Today will be the real test with battery life and such. So far so good though. Admittedly, I was nervous reading others reviews too, but If you are a Pre owner, like I was, you will be impressed with this phone.

va2azerik

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I also notice that the WIFI led doesn't matchup with what I get, I get my signal all throughout my house and out in the yard. I really like my Nexus S compared to my Pre-. The Apps are off the hook, My 1st purchase was checkbook, I would go broke without being able to keep up with what I spend and what's left. So no more "in the coming months" for me:D Also the keyboard is really good, I thought I would miss having a physical keyboard but I don't. No regrets here!

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly dude, pull the trigger. It has been a great device so far... although I've had it only 24 hours. I've noticed that the bars don't seem accurate with wifi or my cell reception, but I've had no problem with connectivity. I am loving the device and all the apps to play with. Today will be the real test with battery life and such. So far so good though. Admittedly, I was nervous reading others reviews too, but If you are a Pre owner, like I was, you will be impressed with this phone.

I already pulled the trigger, just waiting for the phone to show up in the mail. I am pretty excited.

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
By the way, from a previous WebOS user to an Android user for about a year... task switching, which on the pre we had cards we moved around to switch... on Android, a little tip, hold down the home button for a second or two and you can see your last 8 recently used apps and switch between them.

Wow, that makes life much easier, thanks!:D

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
got it yesterday. love the phone but did you guys have the "spirnt guy" copy over your contacts? i did and I got at least 2 contacts for each person and phone number? whats up with that and how can i clean that up. I now have somting like 640 contacts!

alpinejag

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
got it yesterday. love the phone but did you guys have the "spirnt guy" copy over your contacts? i did and I got at least 2 contacts for each person and phone number? whats up with that and how can i clean that up. I now have somting like 640 contacts!

They didn't need to copy over contacts because both phones sync with Google Contacts. Not sure if there is an easy way to clean it up.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I didn't even know what they were doing or I would have stopped them. All my contacts were already on google...

jp22382

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Have to say the touchstone makes a decent stand for the Nexus :-!

The instant I left the Sprint store and used a voice action to navigate back home... and it just worked... I no longer missed my Pre.

drewsonian

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
They didn't need to copy over contacts because both phones sync with Google Contacts. Not sure if there is an easy way to clean it up.

You should be able to clean it up in Gmail, actually, as long as the duplicate contacts exist in Gmail as well (They may have synced up to Gmail when you set your phone up, but I don't know for sure how it works). Go into Gmail, then into your Contacts screen. Click "More Actions", then use the "Find and Merge Duplicates" button. If the phone synced duplicates up to Google, you should see a LOT of duplicates in this list. Run it and the phone should sync up after a little while.

Other than that, you'd probably want to export your contacts from Gmail to back them up, then reset the contacts and your link to Gmail on your phone and clean out your phone contacts, then re-link to Gmail and let the contacts sync back down. I'm not certain of this process, though, as I haven't done it myself before.

Reactions: dbtabasco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87