10-06-2011 03:24 PM
373 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Ok I've searched and need to post on this forum as a former Pre owner.

Have the Nexus S 4G since Monday. Have yet to figure out how to set up a hotmail account as well as a microsoft exchange (work) account with the native email client so that I can actually MOVE emails and file them to folders, etc. I have searched the internet extensively without finding an answer or way. Am I to believe that the native email client in stock android cannot perform these functions?

I've also learned that facebook will not set up as a "contact" - is this also true?

I am sorely missing Synergy on the Pre I have to say. I love so many things about this phone but so far (and I understand it's only been a few days) I'm amazed at how much harder it is to set these types of things up. That's why WebOS is so great - it's EASY!!!

Please help me.....
    05-13-2011 03:21 PM
    I was all set to pick up a nexus s 4g shortly after launch, but after reading about the signal issues it looks like I'll be holding off. If in the mean time the Pre3 is announced to be coming to Sprint, I may have a difficult decision to make.

For now, my Pre- will soldier on. Hopefully.
    05-13-2011 04:27 PM
    There are no signal issues. Wifi works great. So does 3g. I don't have 4g so I can't say about that.
    05-13-2011 04:34 PM
    I was all set to pick up a nexus s 4g shortly after launch, but after reading about the signal issues it looks like I'll be holding off. If in the mean time the Pre3 is announced to be coming to Sprint, I may have a difficult decision to make.

For now, my Pre- will soldier on. Hopefully.
    Yeah Wifi and 4G are pretty crappy compared to my Epic 4G, and Wifi is completely horrendous compared to my Pre/Pixi. If these are important to you then I would wait, but for me 3G is fine and I'm loving it.
    cjbufe likes this.
    05-13-2011 05:45 PM
    There are no signal issues. Wifi works great. So does 3g. I don't have 4g so I can't say about that.
    Perhaps you missed this entire thread. Your phone may be unaffected, which is great, but there's obviously a widespread problem. I think I'll wait until Sprint and/or Google addresses the issue.
    05-13-2011 06:24 PM
    You must have a Chuck Norris Nexus so be sure to take extra special care of it.
    05-13-2011 06:36 PM
    Perhaps you missed this entire thread. Your phone may be unaffected, which is great, but there's obviously a widespread problem. I think I'll wait until Sprint and/or Google addresses the issue.
    I have had absolutly no problems with any of my radios, wifi rocks, as does the 3g network. In fact I get better service and clarity on my calls inside the cement building I work in. I haven't used 4g because there is wifi at my home and at my shop so no need until I'm out and about and feel like draining the battery.
    05-13-2011 07:26 PM
    This is so funny!!! And because I too own the original Palm Pre. . . Thought I could hold on and wait for them to offer something better than everyone else. Don't think the Pre 3 is even close. . .
    Either way, I am here. Loving my new Nexus S 4G. . .
    I don't miss my Pre at all!!! I always thought it was the best thing out there and these Android devices were just too difficult to understand. Oh, and multitasking. That was the one I thought I couldn't live with out. Was I wrong!!!
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!
    05-13-2011 09:09 PM
    So far my biggest gripes are:

-keyboard. I am still a hazard with it, even though I am quite good with the apple one. I hope I get better. I liked how the Palm keyboard gave you a key for the comma without hitting the shift register. The spacebar isn't easy to hit.

-mail client. I know there are 3rd party clients, but I think it's reasonable to expect a decent mailer from the people who brought us gmail. Specifically, they need to add urgent flag support and local folder search (if not search on the server like Apple)

-battery life

-task killing. It's hard to tell if something was killed, and what to kill and what not to.

-Gmail client doesn't fit messages to the window and can't be scaled.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    05-13-2011 09:53 PM
    I'll miss the touchstone the most, without a doubt. I've configured my Nexus with all my old Pre ringtones and notification sounds, so it feels like home. I could use more volume, but whatever.

My old Pre is going to a friend who just needs a new Sprint phone, so I know it'll still be loved!
    05-14-2011 05:34 PM
    i've used mp3gain and boosted my ringtone volumes- pretty easy to go.
    05-14-2011 06:00 PM
    I had my Pre- from launch day and finally got to switch to the Nexus S as soon as it came out. First android phone and so far the experience is great. Doesn't take that long to get used to.

There are a few things I miss about my Pre, such as.
    -Swipe to delete emails.
    -Pinch to zoom emails.
    -Stock texting app on the pre cut text messages up for you.
    -Missing the touchstone for sure.
    -Can sometimes be a pain to navigate the settings on Android.

None of these things, however, actually bother me enough to dislike Android at all. Loving the phone so much.
    05-14-2011 07:08 PM
    I felt the same way. Especially about the gestures, i.e. swipe back, delete. . . But I'm getting use to how Android does it and I'm not really missing them anymore!
    I think that if I went back to a Palm device, I would miss the back button and think 'why on earth do they make you swipe?'!!!
    Plus, the customizable home screens!!! Could never get my Pre exactly how I wanted it.
    05-14-2011 09:43 PM
    So far my biggest gripes are:

-task killing. It's hard to tell if something was killed, and what to kill and what not to.
    After using Android for the past year, my advice... let the phone do it's own memory management and don't worry about killing tasks (or even stress over thinking about it). Unless you are running a poorly written app, shouldn't be an issue.
    05-14-2011 09:46 PM
    Have any of you tried speaking a text message? It is absolutely fantastic. I have great voice recognition with this phone and so far the text has been perfect. No need for a keyboard when you can speak it....
    05-14-2011 09:57 PM
    i just started toying with this yesterday. i'm hit and miss on having it correctly address sms (and email) and body - it think it's my delivery's thats the problem!
    05-15-2011 05:52 AM
    After using Android for the past year, my advice... let the phone do it's own memory management and don't worry about killing tasks (or even stress over thinking about it). Unless you are running a poorly written app, shouldn't be an issue.
    My aim is more to conserve battery than to reduce memory usage.

Dang. I'm typing this on my iPod Touch 4G and not one input error. I can't get through a word without an input error on the Nexus.
    05-15-2011 06:49 AM
    My first post in an Android forum!

Anyway...after some unexpected events involving my 15 month old son and my wife's old uninsured flip phone (LG Lotus, replacement #2), we decided to go ahead and take advantage of my upgrade. I ended up giving my old Palm Pixi to her and I got the Nexus S 4G. It's taken some getting used to, but I am enjoying the bells and whistles so far. It's much smoother, with a crisp screen and is about as big a phone as I'm willing to get. I'm quite paranoid about how slick it is, so I plan on getting some sort of protective case and screen film for it...just didn't want to spend the inordinate amount of money Sprint was charging.

While I miss the cards and the physical keyboard, I gotta say I am really lovin' this thing so far. I also wish there was some sort of LED notification light, but I understand there are apps that can set up the camera flash to do this (...???) - any suggestions?

While everyone always says how awesome webOS notifications are, I gotta say I sort of prefer the much less intrusive ones I get on this phone. I always got annoyed by the fact that the notifications would take away from the screen real estate on the already-cramped Pixi screen. Adding in swipe-to-delete would make the Android notifications just right, in my book.

I'm curious to see how other folks set up their five pages with links, apps and widgets.
    05-15-2011 08:19 AM
    I'm a first-day, waited-in-line, Pre- owner and WebOS fanboy. I can relate to just about everything I've read in this thread so far.

Last week I made the switch from a Sprint franken-Pre+ to the Nexus S 4G. I am a huge advocate of WebOS but it didn't look like Sprint was going to embrace the Pre 3 and I wasn't ready to switch carriers. I purchased an Epic 4G for my wife and loved the screen but hated the bulk. I'm not someone who would use a landscape keyboard so I decided to try out the Nexus S 4G to see if I could go without the keyboard.

I'm sold. Here's my list of Nexus S 4G Pros and Cons:

Pros
    • The SuperAMOLED screen is just... WOW!
    • Good battery life (just don't run Latitude).
    • Voice commands work very, very well.
    • More options are built into the OS settings screens.
    • Google Maps - functionaly much better than in WebOS.
    • I can read Adobe PDFs! And not just the odd one out of five. Imagine that.
    • SPEED!
    • This hardware seems much more robust than the Pre (of which I've had eight).
    • I've found that Android is very capable at supporting the addition or substitution of stock apps with improved versions (ie, a new email program, new messenger, etc). The replacement apps hook into all the places you would expect them to throughout the OS. This is an area where WebOS is improving, but the Android implementation is already great.
    • Text selection, cursor navigation, cut, copy and paste. Functionally it varies from app to app which I don't like but on WebOS I found it almost unusable so Android gets a tip of the hat here.

Cons
    • Notifications - Wow Android is poor in this area.
    • I want JustType/Universal Search. It takes way to many presses to get anything done.
    • I miss homebrew and the corporate/hacker partnership. Still, it could be much worse (iPhone).
    • The IMAP client is crap. No IMAP IDLE push and no way to folder emails. Really cave-man stuff. I am using K-9 now and that is better, but I would like it better with the white-on-black UI of the stock mail app.
    • Messaging app will only send one message and truncates to 160 chars. It also doesn't show a character count until you are almost at 160.
    • I miss swipe-to-delete, mainly because I can't stop myself from doing it on Android which rarely has a good result

No big deal
    • Multitasking is more difficult, but not unmanageable.
    • Gestures would be a plus, but having a back button always in one place is a good start.
    • Lack of physical keyboard is a bummer but is offset by the very good onscreen keyboard and the fact that there are fewer moving parts that can break. I thought I would miss this a lot more than I do.
    • I never used Synnergy. I kept all my contacts in Google on the Pre, so loosing it was inconsequential to me.

So the absence of a good Universal Search equivalent and physical keyboard is offset by the really cool voice recognition -- I'll call that a wash.

The notification system is something that Google needs to address. With no indicator LED and no prominent notifications, calls/texts/emails go unnoticed and unanswered for a longer period of time. I keep getting text messages without realizing that they are sitting on the phone. Boo. My suggestion to Google: just rip off WebOS notifications. Blackberry ripped off the rest and they haven't been sued yet!

You will notice that I didn't list the absence of touchstone charging as a Con. There's a good reason for that:

-darren
    05-17-2011 12:37 AM
    Are you using the touchstone to charge your Nexus? Is that what you meant??????
    05-17-2011 12:50 AM
    Got my wife the Nexus S 4G (she's a gold premier member and I'm just silver, so stuck on my Pre). So far it is great. She quickly pointed out the lack of notifications, we've downloaded NoLED, and she says it isn't very intuitive. I've spent more time playing with the phone than my wife, so here are my impressions.

Gripes:
    I don't understand why I can't tap the notifications at the top to open up the notifications menu (why does there need to be a menu?).
    Why are there so many duplicate apps? Messaging and google voice? Gmail and Email? Just give me one app that works well.
    Also, surprised by how unattractive the UI is overall. It looks more windows 6.5 in some places than a sexy modern OS.
    I do miss the keyboard on the Pre. If they replicated the pre layout as a virtual keyboard that would be great.

Not missing gestures too much, although I think the wife is, but the buttons seem to be in pretty intuitive places.
    The speed is awesome. My pre lags and hangs way too much (2.1 overclocked).

I hope the next few iterations of Android improve these areas, and we know the Nexus S 4G will continue to be supported...
    05-17-2011 07:22 AM
    dare I ask how you did that with the touchstone ?! I'm guessing you took the coil out & ran wires to under the battery contacts? How did it fit? I can't imagine there's much room behind the back cover.
    05-17-2011 08:45 AM
    enough with the suspense. You MUST either do a wirte-up or point us to how you did that touchstone hack.

How good does it work. Charge just as fast? Thanks for posting it btw. I have been wanting to attempt this.
    05-17-2011 09:01 AM
    yeah - we gotta know! does it hold is securely? one of my touchstones is still in the car - would love to use if for the nexus
    05-17-2011 09:05 AM
    hahahaha...I LOVE IT!!!

but seriously, youtube it. Please.
    05-17-2011 09:43 AM
373 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD