10-06-2011 03:24 PM
373 ... 56789 ...
tools
    hahahaha...I LOVE IT!!!

but seriously, youtube it. Please.
    I want video proof! No telling whether its simply put on the charger and not charging

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    05-17-2011 10:05 AM
    I want video proof! No telling whether its simply put on the charger and not charging

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    It says charging on the screen.
    05-17-2011 10:14 AM
    I'm a first-day, waited-in-line, Pre- owner and WebOS fanboy. I can relate to just about everything I've read in this thread so far.

Last week I made the switch from a Sprint franken-Pre+ to the Nexus S 4G. I am a huge advocate of WebOS but it didn't look like Sprint was going to embrace the Pre 3 and I wasn't ready to switch carriers. I purchased an Epic 4G for my wife and loved the screen but hated the bulk. I'm not someone who would use a landscape keyboard so I decided to try out the Nexus S 4G to see if I could go without the keyboard.

I'm sold. Here's my list of Nexus S 4G Pros and Cons:

Pros
    • The SuperAMOLED screen is just... WOW!
    • Good battery life (just don't run Latitude).
    • Voice commands work very, very well.
    • More options are built into the OS settings screens.
    • Google Maps - functionaly much better than in WebOS.
    • I can read Adobe PDFs! And not just the odd one out of five. Imagine that.
    • SPEED!
    • This hardware seems much more robust than the Pre (of which I've had eight).
    • I've found that Android is very capable at supporting the addition or substitution of stock apps with improved versions (ie, a new email program, new messenger, etc). The replacement apps hook into all the places you would expect them to throughout the OS. This is an area where WebOS is improving, but the Android implementation is already great.
    • Text selection, cursor navigation, cut, copy and paste. Functionally it varies from app to app which I don't like but on WebOS I found it almost unusable so Android gets a tip of the hat here.

Cons
    • Notifications - Wow Android is poor in this area.
    • I want JustType/Universal Search. It takes way to many presses to get anything done.
    • I miss homebrew and the corporate/hacker partnership. Still, it could be much worse (iPhone).
    • The IMAP client is crap. No IMAP IDLE push and no way to folder emails. Really cave-man stuff. I am using K-9 now and that is better, but I would like it better with the white-on-black UI of the stock mail app.
    • Messaging app will only send one message and truncates to 160 chars. It also doesn't show a character count until you are almost at 160.
    • I miss swipe-to-delete, mainly because I can't stop myself from doing it on Android which rarely has a good result

No big deal
    • Multitasking is more difficult, but not unmanageable.
    • Gestures would be a plus, but having a back button always in one place is a good start.
    • Lack of physical keyboard is a bummer but is offset by the very good onscreen keyboard and the fact that there are fewer moving parts that can break. I thought I would miss this a lot more than I do.
    • I never used Synnergy. I kept all my contacts in Google on the Pre, so loosing it was inconsequential to me.

So the absence of a good Universal Search equivalent and physical keyboard is offset by the really cool voice recognition -- I'll call that a wash.

The notification system is something that Google needs to address. With no indicator LED and no prominent notifications, calls/texts/emails go unnoticed and unanswered for a longer period of time. I keep getting text messages without realizing that they are sitting on the phone. Boo. My suggestion to Google: just rip off WebOS notifications. Blackberry ripped off the rest and they haven't been sued yet!

You will notice that I didn't list the absence of touchstone charging as a Con. There's a good reason for that:

-darren
    Darren I think you are spot on with this assessment. I'm a launch-day Pre-minus die-hard who finally just gave in for some new hardware and the opportunity for stock Android and therefore immediate OS updates. As you said the hardware is so superior, battery life is nice, the camera with features is awesome, voice commands rock, and I don't actually miss the keyboard as I love Swype.

The horrifically poor email client is my biggest gripe bar none, probably because it's so far been a pain in the arse for work. I mean with WebOS it all was just so easy - Exchange/ActiveSync, Hotmail, etc - they all connected without a fuss and combined into one inbox. Here, you have to download (and even purchase if you want Touchdown) to get the push email/folder sync both ways and to folder emails out of the inbox. It's a mess and frankly criminal that they have neutered the stock app to force people to gravitate to gmail.

Facebook doesn't integrate contacts (companies are battling apparently). Frankly just miss Synergy where everything was indeed pulled into the phone. This and JustType is something HPWebOS continues to not highlight enough as an outstanding part of the OS. Pushing a search button on Android just is not the same....

And yes I miss swyping away things to delete as well - that unfortunately isn't going to change.

Now how'd you set up that touchstone I have two sitting around.....
    05-17-2011 10:21 AM
    I assume the touchstone mod would be something like this:
    How to mod HTC EVO 4G to work with Palm Touchstone wireless charger
    The main question is figuring out the solder points on the Nexus. This might help us figure that out:
    Nexus S Teardown - iFixit
    Negative could be simple (possibly micro usb connector casing), but positive could be a little more challenging.
    I'm waiting on other accessories at the moment, but I'm curious about trying this. Don't know if I'm ready to take the phone apart though...
    05-17-2011 10:54 AM
    The touchstone mod is real -- frankly, faking the screen would be harder for me than the mod. If I get some time I'll figure out how to post to YouTube and I'll make a clip, but it won't be much more exciting than the photo. The great news is that when I drop the Nexus on the touchstone it goes into charging mode but doesn't bother me about whether I want to go into USB drive mode as was reported on the moded T-Mobile Nexus S with touchstone.

I was inspired by the mod documented here for the Epic:

Samsung Epic 4g Inductive Charger

Of course, the Epic has a little more room inside, IMHO, than the Nexus S, so I was still hesitant. When I looked at the back cover on the Nexus S I noticed that the cover and the mating surface around the battery are indented to receive the very thin NFC antenna. That really worried me because the touchstone antenna and circuitry is pretty thick in places and wider than the cutout for the NFC antenna.

I intended to take pictures of my progress but I was tired and in a hurry to get it done so I didn't take photos of the internals. If I have to take it apart again for any reason I'll take detailed photos. For now, here's a photo of the easily visible bit:

and here's a description of the work:

• I removed the NFC antenna from the back cover. This may not be required strictly speaking but I didn't like the thought of an antenna sandwiched between a pair of inductive coils. I also don't see a need for it at this point.
    • I removed the touchstone coil, metal studs and circuitry from a Pre charging back. I used the plastic covering to keep everything in place and positioned correctly. I re-used the adhesive on this when I installed it in the Nexus S. It held pretty well and once the cover is on it's very tightly sandwiched anyway.
    • I disassembled the Nexus S and took out the circuit card with attached bits. This was SUPER easy compared to the Pre. There are 6 visible screws and no tamper-evident tags to get the first bit of plastic off, then three more screws and popping two connectors gets all the circuitry free of the screen. Be sure to have plastic tools for working with cellphone housings to avoid scuffing or nicking the case.
    • I figured out which pin on the USB connector carried 5V+. Since the power wires are on the outside, just check for continuity between the shield and the outside two pins. The one that has continuity is ground and the other is 5V+ charging.
    • To know that my wire would safely carry the voltage, I stripped apart a USB cable and scavenged two of the conductors. These are stranded as well which makes me more comfortable when I have to take the back off the phone that I won't transmit stress to the solder points.
    • I soldered the red wire to the 5V+ USB port pin - this is by farrrrrrrr the hardest part of this, not helped by the fact that my soldering iron tip is HUGE for this kind of work. I soldered the black lead to the shield on the connector which gave me more than a quarter-inch of solid contact surface for the solder joint.
    • I reassembled the phone, routing the wires up through a little hole that was pre-drilled in the case surrounding the battery bay at just the right spot.
    • I cut the wires to length and then soldered them to the pads on the touchstone coil in the phone back. You can test for which is the positive and which is the negative by putting the back onto a touchstone and measuring DC accross both pins (or you can just look at my photo I guess ).
    • The last part is getting the wires situated so that they don't overlap with the thick touchstone charging circuit or with each other. I used scotch tape to help in the process as you can see in the photo. If the wires overlap you'll get a bulge in the back (but it will still go on -- it's very forgiving). If I had it to do over again, I would make the red wire 1/2" shorter to make this easier.

That's it. I was impressed by how well the whole process went. Success or failure is all tied up in the step where you solder the 5V+ wire to the USB port pin. One wrong step and the phone could be ruined, but if you get it right, you'll have touchstone charging on the best phone that Sprint has!

-darren
    05-17-2011 11:28 AM
    Re: Nexus on the Touchstone...

YES!!! Please reveal your secret. I can see that the screen says it's actively charging!
    05-17-2011 11:46 AM
    FYI, I just made a more detailed post about the mod but something I did requires a moderator to look at it. Hopefully it will appear soon.

-darren
    Wiley_11 and yibrushn like this.
    05-17-2011 12:06 PM
    FYI, I just made a more detailed post about the mod but something I did requires a moderator to look at it. Hopefully it will appear soon.

-darren
    Eagerly awaiting these details. You don't realize how nice the touchstone really was until you dont' have it. I have seen online an EPIC 4g hacked to work on the touchstone, I imagine this is similar. However, it also looked like the NFC stuff back there didn't leave much room for the TS charging coil.
    05-17-2011 12:35 PM
    I completely agree with your assessments. Now... about that touchstone...
    05-17-2011 01:25 PM
    "I want JustType/Universal Search. It takes way to many presses to get anything done"

If you use the google search bar it acts like universal search. it can search almost anything if you edit the options.
    05-17-2011 01:27 PM
    HERE IS HOW TO DO IT ON THE EVO - Different phone, same exact concept.

FYI - The reason this mod is not popular with android devices is, it makes it so the compass in your phone no longer works. The magnets under the battery door, which hold the phone to the touchstone, disable the compass inside android phones. The Pre/Pixi do not have a compass so this was a non-issue.
    05-17-2011 01:38 PM
    "I want JustType/Universal Search. It takes way to many presses to get anything done"

If you use the google search bar it acts like universal search. it can search almost anything if you edit the options.
    If you want to save yourself some screen real estate, just long press the menu button (looks like 4 horizontal lines). It pulls up your keyboard and when you type it automatically does a universal search.
    skinneejay likes this.
    05-17-2011 01:41 PM
    HERE IS HOW TO DO IT ON THE EVO - Different phone, same exact concept.

FYI - The reason this mod is not popular with android devices is, it makes it so the compass in your phone no longer works. The magnets under the battery door, which hold the phone to the touchstone, disable the compass inside android phones. The Pre/Pixi do not have a compass so this was a non-issue.
    I'm pretty sure there was a lot of discussion about this on precentral & the magnet is in the touchstone, not in the coil. Maybe the steel/iron plate in the door causes problems with the compass?
    05-17-2011 01:47 PM
    I'm pretty sure there was a lot of discussion about this on precentral & the magnet is in the touchstone, not in the coil. Maybe the steel/iron plate in the door causes problems with the compass?

The touchstone back on the Pre has magnets in it. Four of them I believe.

So I guess any hack for other phones would involve putting magnets in it.
    05-17-2011 02:10 PM
    Not sure, I just know it broke the compass in android phones. Not sure the who what when where or why. Speaking of Precentral ..... Power sharing: Evo 4G modded for Touchstone compatibility [video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

"While the magnets do interfere with the Evo 4Gs built-in compass (not a problem, of course, for compass-less Pres and Pixis) "
    05-17-2011 02:12 PM
    If you want to save yourself some screen real estate, just long press the menu button (looks like 4 horizontal lines). It pulls up your keyboard and when you type it automatically does a universal search.
    Understood, but it doesn't do first initial/last name searches (jsmith for john smith) so it takes more typing, then I have to select the person I want and then the action to take. In WebOs, if I type "JS" and I only know one person with those initials, I am presented immediately with all the actions that can be taken on that contact. I'm sure I'll adjust - it just takes longer to bring up contacts and that's an issue when I'm driving.

I try to use voice dialing now whenever possible -- that is a feature that I love. Unfortunately my wife spells her name in a non-standard way so when I try to call her she's not on the list. I had to switch to a shortcut for he instead (I love the shortcuts to contacts -- very functional and efficient).

I see that you are a moderator. Can you approve my post from this morning so that it will show up?

-darren
    05-17-2011 02:58 PM
    As I sit and spin in my chair the compass works fine. I bet it won't work on the touchstone because that's got a big magnet in it.

Interestingly, the little metal studs in the touchstone charging back are marked with a plus sign (+) on one side, but they don't attract ferrous metal objects so I doubt they are magnets. The touchstone, on the other hand, has a substantial magnet in it.

-darren
    05-17-2011 03:01 PM
    As I sit and spin in my chair the compass works fine. I bet it won't work on the touchstone because that's got a big magnet in it.

Interestingly, the little metal studs in the touchstone charging back are marked with a plus sign (+) on one side, but they don't attract ferrous metal objects so I doubt they are magnets. The touchstone, on the other hand, has a substantial magnet in it.

-darren
    was this difficult to do? i'm not very handy! if send you my back can you do it for $$??
    05-17-2011 03:05 PM
    I posted the link that KSmithinNy posted along with a link to an iFixit teardown of the Nexus S earlier this morning, but it hasn't shown up yet

From reading the EVO how to and looking at the teardown, I'm guessing you can peel the coil from the Pre touchstone back and then stick to the inside of the Nexus back same as the EVO, then you have to run wires from the touchstone contacts to somewhere on the phone's mainboard. I think the best spot would be to the USB port. The wires coming in are exposed there, though they are very small. If you connected there (as opposed to the battery terminals) you'd go through the phone's charging circuit.

I'm interested in seeing the details of your mod, also darrenf. I'm hoping to do this in the next week or two based on your success.
    05-17-2011 04:06 PM
    Understood, but it doesn't do first initial/last name searches (jsmith for john smith) so it takes more typing, then I have to select the person I want and then the action to take. In WebOs, if I type "JS" and I only know one person with those initials, I am presented immediately with all the actions that can be taken on that contact. I'm sure I'll adjust - it just takes longer to bring up contacts and that's an issue when I'm driving.

I try to use voice dialing now whenever possible -- that is a feature that I love. Unfortunately my wife spells her name in a non-standard way so when I try to call her she's not on the list. I had to switch to a shortcut for he instead (I love the shortcuts to contacts -- very functional and efficient).
    My reply was for skinneejay. It was a suggestion for skineejay to save screen space by deleting the google bar and using the shortcut to get to it.

his post - my reply

I see that you are a moderator. Can you approve my post from this morning so that it will show up?

-darren
    I am a moderator but all 4 of your posts are available. There is no approval system on his site.
    05-17-2011 05:03 PM
    Here's the link to the ifixit teardown I tried to post this morning:

Nexus S Teardown - iFixit

You can zoom in to see the points where the micro USB contacts the board.
    http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/h...jUPAbYT.medium
    I figure you can solder to the contacts on the USB port in this picture. There might also be a better spot on the board, but someone might need to investigate.
    05-17-2011 06:46 PM
    I am a moderator but all 4 of your posts are available. There is no approval system on his site.
    This is confusing... I had this popup with my post this morning and one I just tried now with a link to the ifixit teardown of the Nexus S:
    "ramk13
    Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

The only thing I can think of that would have made it require moderation is the link I pasted. The odd thing is that you posted the same link (easy to come across by googling 'touchstone mod') later. Maybe it's because Darren and I don't have many posts? Sorry to be semi off topic, but this limitation is holding back the touchstone discussion for the Nexus and several people are interested in it.
    05-17-2011 06:51 PM
    No that is definitely strange. I will see if I can figure out what might be going on. There are some wonky things going on in the spam world so new measures might have been put in place. Will BRB
    05-17-2011 06:58 PM
    Fixed. Sorry.
    KSmithInNY likes this.
    05-17-2011 08:25 PM
    Fixed. Sorry.
    You're the man. Thanks Cory
    05-17-2011 08:33 PM
373 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD