Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

im the latest webOS refugee, i had a pre on sprint since october 2009 and no amount of hacking and lying to myself enough could convince me to keep the phone any longer...

i'll miss the cards, facebook/google number merging (it was so cool to add an new friend on facebook and see their profile pic magically appear in texts and calls) and i'll miss the clean, easy-to-use system.

what i wont miss is the outdated hardware and total lack of apps. the nexus so far is outstanding and what it lacks in comparison to webos is all starting to seem more and more insignificant. i'm glad to say "hello" to Android.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

what i wont miss is the outdated hardware and total lack of apps. the nexus so far is outstanding and what it lacks in comparison to webos is all starting to seem more and more insignificant. i'm glad to say "hello" to Android.

Indeed! I really haven't missed mine, and I really like using swype more than a physical keyboard now that I'm used to it!

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
what it lacks in comparison to webos is all starting to seem more and more insignificant. i'm glad to say "hello" to Android.

This its exactly how I felt and it gets more and more true the longer you have it. everything becomes second nature so the stuff that isn't intuitive no longer its noticeable

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

hi-tech34

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Indeed! I really haven't missed mine, and I really like using swype more than a physical keyboard now that I'm used to it!

Which swype app are you using? I searched the app catalog but couldn't find it.

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

i use Flex9 - has swype and voice recognition- works wonderfully.

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I discovered something in the Clock app. There's a button on the top right that dims the screen which you may already know about, but if you long-press that same button you'll get a dim, simplified clock with a black background extremely similar in look and function to Palm's Touchstone mode.

Reactions: eddieras

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I discovered something in the Clock app. There's a button on the top right that dims the screen which you may already know about, but if you long-press that same button you'll get a dim, simplified clock with a black background extremely similar in look and function to Palm's Touchstone mode.

Thanks, I had seen that before, but couldn't figure out how I got it. Was trying to get it back for use when I had the phone by my bed at night!

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

i also wasn't able to mute or unmute the phone without turning the screen off and turning it back on again to get to the lock screen switch. then I realized holding down the power button gives you a little menu to do the change from. a bit less obvious than the Pre's physical switch but it works all the same

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you would probably have to type "jons" to find Jonsey's contact instead of "tj". But was the point to look at a contact or to do something like send them a text? To send a text to Jonsey, you might long-press Search and say "Text Jonsey Are you still going to the party tomorrow"
Well, often I am looking for the phone number so I can call someone on my land line. :)

I am still using a Pre, but I'm shopping for my next gadget, and this one is on the short list. One thing that the Pre doesn't do that still drives me nuts, after using it for two years, is search for contacts by something _other_ than initials or last name. For instance, a text string in the comments section of a contact.

For instance, back on the Treo, I had all my contacts conveniently in categories, so I could look at the short list of "utilities", and find all the plumbers, electricians, newpaper-deliverers, etc., that I ever wanted to call. But I didn't usually have to scroll through all of "utilities" to find someone, because I could just search for "plumber", and every plumber I had ever used popped up. I can't do that on the Pre. (I went and changed the names of all the doctors the family uses so that their "last name" is "Dr.", but I didn't have the patience to do that for everyone I wanted to look up.)

So, can I do that on the Nexus, or other Google devices? Please?

By the way, thanks for being here to help hold the hands of those of us who are contemplating the jump, or who have just made it.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Says "devices" specifically...meaning they hopefully aren't giving up on the OS. Not much optimism for licensing to other manufacturers...unless they already have arrangements they haven't yet announced.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

For instance, back on the Treo, I had all my contacts conveniently in categories, so I could look at the short list of "utilities", and find all the plumbers, electricians, newpaper-deliverers, etc., that I ever wanted to call. But I didn't usually have to scroll through all of "utilities" to find someone, because I could just search for "plumber", and every plumber I had ever used popped up. I can't do that on the Pre. (I went and changed the names of all the doctors the family uses so that their "last name" is "Dr.", but I didn't have the patience to do that for everyone I wanted to look up.)

As a recent refugee from Pre-world due to Best Buy's "free Nexus" promo a few weeks back, I can give you a good answer on this. There's not a way to do it with the stock software that I'm aware of. But go download a copy of GO Contacts EX and I think you'll be good to go. I found it because I was looking for a way to not have to store my contacts with Google. I'm ok with them having my calendar, but I don't want them having my contacts.

GO Contacts has groups, it lets you store (and import) your contacts in the phone, and it just looks better than the stock Contacts and Dialer (it comes side-by-side with an alternative dialer) apps. Whether you can search on a comment string, I'm not sure.

I haven't read fully through this thread, I probably should. I found a couple things that some may find interesting. I'll share once I get through all 9 (I have more posts/page configured) pages.... ;)

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Says "devices" specifically...meaning they hopefully aren't giving up on the OS. Not much optimism for licensing to other manufacturers...unless they already have arrangements they haven't yet announced.

Sure, they say that, but it just doesn't make sense. The platform is in 4th place after the others, and waiting another year for a phone and tablet to hit using it will just drive it further down.

I have always hoped that HP would develop some great devices running webOS, and I'd be pulled back to the platform. Now I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

Oh well. Android is a great platform as well, and stands to only get better!

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Sure, they say that, but it just doesn't make sense. The platform is in 4th place after the others, and waiting another year for a phone and tablet to hit using it will just drive it further down.

4th??? Try 5th. WP7 climbed over the wreckage of WebOS months ago.

OleSalt

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

I suspect there will be more traffic to this thread.

Suspect you are very correct! Original Pre- launch day, yesterday Best Buy was offering Free Nexus S 4g, Paid $12.05 in taxes. Will take some getting used to but with HP's announcement today timing could have not been better.... :)

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site

True, but I don't really count Blackberry, as I see them packing it in before too much longer!

At least they still have decent market share even if their strategy moving forward is deeply flawed and will cost them.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Rahul Sood sorta makes my point:

http://www.rahulsood.com/2011/08/fumbling-football.html

I think HP could have done a better job of messaging this;

1. wait until they had a deal to license webOS on the table
2. announce the deal in fabulous fashion, while quietly mentioning they killed webOS hardware.

3. as far as the rest goes, who knows, the acquisition and the pc spin-off thing have my head rumbling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis