Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

Wow so many posts!!! I also switched from WebOs to Android with the Nexus S 4g and i must say the differences are like night and day. I do miss some of WebOs features but i think in the long run since WebOs will probably be licensed or open source Android will get to work on that and implement those features ;)

angiest

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Another introduction. My wife and I just upgraded our August 2009 Pre's to Nexus S'. Still getting used to the different interface.

Gr3yGhOsT

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I truly mourn the loss of WebOS in the smartphone ecosystem...I hope that HP sells it off to a worthy buyer. (Licensing it out is probably a dead end...who will pay for WebOS when they can have Android for free?) My fear is that HP will hold on to Palm just for the patent portfolio and WebOS will fade away to the dustbin of smartphone history.

I have extensively used all the major smartphone platforms (Blackberry, WebOS, iOS, and Android) and just from the user interface perspective, WebOS was hands down the best mobile operating system by a mile. The gesture based utilization and true multitasking was a pleasure to use. The phone was wicked easy to tweak and customize to the nth degree, and the platform was very solid and stable despite my constant hacks. (I get a ton of force closes on my Nexus S and my Blackberry Bold crashes weekly.)

WebOS suffered from horrible hardware (I went through 3 different Pre's before finally grabbing my Nexus S...) and a utter lack of apps. Which was a shame...pair WebOS with a good hardware platform and get some developers on board and you would have had a winner. I was cautiously optimistic that HP would have been able to do both. Shame to see they continued to make the same mistakes.

I love my Nexus S...but still miss they joys of using WebOS. I still want to flick apps away to close them, or to swipe to move to another app. Everything else feels so...unrefined. Here is hoping that Google can pull a Blackberry Playbook coup and steal some of the WebOS features that made it so great.

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I just wanted to mention that ColorNote is a very nice free app that I'm using in place of the post-it note app on the Pre. Pretty much has the same functionality but also lets you create lists and then check them off as you complete them (great for grocery lists). It also lets you place notes on your desktop.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Managed to snag a "fire sale" TouchPad last week, so I haven't had to completely desert webOS. I only wish there was some way to link my NS4G and TouchPad. Alas...

jabco

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

I know there are other threads about switching from WebOS, but it looks like for quite a LOT of us who are still using the PRE because we were holding out for the right phone to come out on Sprint will switching to the Nexus S4g.

I know I am really going to miss WebOS, and even though I have played with Android some, I likely will find more things that I miss about WebOS as I play with my Nexus S4G in the first few weeks.

I figured we need a thread where those of us making the switch can talk about how to customize Android to our WebOS liking.

Specifically, I know I am going to miss -

CARDS!!
Swiping to switch between apps
Swiping to delete things
The way WebOS handles notifications
The way the phone integrates Facebook and Google into contacts and calendar
Agreed 100%, too bad OS going out like Beta did, a much better product that just did not have the right company pushing it.....

Reactions: gknews

dizzwave

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

One more ex-Pre owner here... Had it for 2 years, overclocked, homebrewed, and all that good stuff. Was very reluctant to switch from WebOS because I loved it. But, the Pre was a crappy piece of hardware -- always had issues from the Oreo to the ghastly headset. And Palm/HP was not showin' any love with updates after a while.
I have been on the Nexus S for a few weeks now, and I'm not looking back! It is heaven. The *only* thing I miss is the ability to edit the auto-correct dictionary. But, I'm using Swype now, and that's fun and interesting enough that I don't care too much.
-dave

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I took the plunge as well ordered 2 to replace 2 on my shared family plan wanted a pre 3 but hp droped the ball.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I currently have a frankenpre2 and while I love it, the screen on the Nexus S 4g is very appealing. I test drove it for a while and went back to my Pre. Have they finally fixed the issue with the weak radio signals?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I currently have a frankenpre2 and while I love it, the screen on the Nexus S 4g is very appealing. I test drove it for a while and went back to my Pre. Have they finally fixed the issue with the weak radio signals?

Yes and no, depending on who you ask.
I'm starting to believe my problem never had anything to do with the phone and everything to do with the towers near my house.

I think the 4G radio is inherently defective and it's something that cannot be fixed with a firmware/software update. Fortunately, I don't really ever use it anyway, instead relying more on wifi in hotels and at home to stream video.

Traxion

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

My personal experience has been my 3G signal falls off way more than my 4G. Like the poster above said.. I chalk it up to the towers in my area. My 4G downtown gets DL rates upwards of 10mb/s. So I have no reason not to use my 4G radio other than being out of the coverage area. Personally, I have never had signal issues with my NS4G. Im sure if I stared at the bars for a while I would probably see some fluxuation, but for the most part its pretty solid.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

My personal experience has been my 3G signal falls off way more than my 4G. Like the poster above said.. I chalk it up to the towers in my area. My 4G downtown gets DL rates upwards of 10mb/s. So I have no reason not to use my 4G radio other than being out of the coverage area. Personally, I have never had signal issues with my NS4G. Im sure if I stared at the bars for a while I would probably see some fluxuation, but for the most part its pretty solid.
The NS4G is the only android phone on sprint that appeals to me. All the other phones seem to be either too cheap feeling or have just way too many gimmicks going on. Plus you can get a NS4G for like 200 off-contract which is what I would do.

I think I'll carry it around for a few weeks to see if I like it and keep my frankenpre2 on standby just in case :)

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

One question: Is there a ROM available that incorporates WebOS's core features more than another? I'm talking like task switching, synergy, notifications, etc...

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

One more ex-Pre owner here... Had it for 2 years, overclocked, homebrewed, and all that good stuff. Was very reluctant to switch from WebOS because I loved it. But, the Pre was a crappy piece of hardware -- always had issues from the Oreo to the ghastly headset. And Palm/HP was not showin' any love with updates after a while.
I have been on the Nexus S for a few weeks now, and I'm not looking back! It is heaven. The *only* thing I miss is the ability to edit the auto-correct dictionary. But, I'm using Swype now, and that's fun and interesting enough that I don't care too much.
-dave

I also switched from the Pre to a Nexus S.

Go to your Home Screen, press the Menu touch button, hit Settings, scroll down and hit Language and Keyboard, then hit User Dictionary. You can tap individual words to erase them, or hit the Menu touch button on the bottom to add a new one. Hope that helps.

Traxion

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

One question: Is there a ROM available that incorporates WebOS's core features more than another? I'm talking like task switching, synergy, notifications, etc...

I havent seen an individual ROM that is setup that way. As far as task switching goes, you can hold down the home key and it will show you a list of open apps and can switch that way. It's ok, but its not cards. There may be some apps that help with notifications, but so far I cant complain about the stock Android notifications. They work well enough for me to not look for better. Synergy is somewhat there. It's something I do miss in webOS, especially "Just Type". Android has a global Google search in the OS that will do pretty much the same thing, but I just find it lacking, especially when I am looking for an enterprise contact. Again perhaps some of the awesome dev's out there for Android has a remedy for this. All in all the NS4G is a great phone. The hardware is great, the support is great, and Sprint is great.