Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

guammie08

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think, much like your proximity sensor, your humor sensor is malfunctioning.

Also, are you using any sort of case or screen protector? That could potentially cause issues with the proximity sensor.

Malfunction or not, I think your original response to my question was pretty impolite. I asked a legit question and instead of helping, you mocked. I guess your right... my humor sensor has malfunctioned because I don't get stupidity.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time when I'm out and about I wear a handsfree headset so I don't have to touch the face of the phone. When I have talked on the phone itself the volume is loud enough that I don't have to press it against my face. I did notice as I was talking with the phone near my face that the screen went on and off. It was pretty cool since sometimes with my Pre I wouldn't be able to get the screen to come back on unless I pushed the power button or opened the slider. Maybe try holding it away from your face a little bit or get yourself a comfortable headset (I recommend the Plantronics Pro) so you won't have to hold it at all.

Reactions: guammie08

downtown3641

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Malfunction or not, I think your original response to my question was pretty impolite. I asked a legit question and instead of helping, you mocked. I guess your right... my humor sensor has malfunctioned because I don't get stupidity.

Okay. I wasn't mocking you. Not one bit. The joke was referencing the attena issues the iphone 4 had. However, you are the one trying to call me stupid because you didn't get the joke. Grow up.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Apparently, I need to dumb myself down to understand juvenile jokes.

Im fairly certain that isn't possible.

For the record, I wasn't mocking you either. But I am mocking you're immature reaction to the joke.

Just because you don't get a joke doesn't mean it was made at your expense.

Go tell the joke to someone who follows tech. maybe they can explain it to you.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to let everyone know, since you all love swyeping away tasks. You should be able to swype away notifications in your drop down curtain on your phone. It may take getting use to, but you can do it. :)

jp22382

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to let everyone know, since you all love swyeping away tasks. You should be able to swype away notifications in your drop down curtain on your phone. It may take getting use to, but you can do it. :)

Ha nice didn't realize that. Though I've gotten so used to hitting the Clear button and the long-presses in other apps that I actually don't missing swiping or the gesture area at all.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow...feels like a support group! So here goes...hi I'm Dave, and I am a launch day Pre owner. I am here because I killed my Pre. It had a tiny crack forming from the USB door and was starting to affect touchscreen performance and picture. So thinking I could do the screen surgery...I wound up with a Pre that had no touchscreen input or microphone. I begged and pleaded Sprint to sell me a refurbished Pre from stock, but no dice. And since this is a work phone I had no time to seek out a used Pre to replaced my beloved with...I ended up taking the plunge into the Android world. I have no qualms in saying that the Pre OS is hands down the best phone OS out there....nothing (not even the Jesus iPhone...) even comes close. That is not to say WebOS was perfect...far from it. But despite my Pre being slow as heck compared to my new Nexus S 4g....I was faster on it because everything just worked the way it should...it was so intuitive to use and the OS just felt....right.

So here is my thoughts on Android:

The good:
Man this phone is FAST! Apps that took 6-8 secs to load on my Pre are up in no time!
Voice recognition. Where have you been all my life?
I can still mod my phone.
A crap load of apps! Netflix app, heck yes. And finally I have an Audible app!

The bad:
Multitasking is in there somewhere...just seems like such a kludge to use. Gimme card view please!
Swiping. Such a simple gesture...and so rewarding. I am about to wear out my screen trying to swipe away notifications, emails, programs, etc. Which brings me to...
Notifications. Really? No way to dismiss individual notifications other than clicking on it or clearing them all? Ugh...
The non Gmail email client is just marginally ok.
Bring back Facebook sync!
Gestures...see swiping rant. Nuff said.
System settings...they are too hard to find and too many layers deep. A feature such as mobile hotspot should have a simple on/off button handy...same with 4G.
Too rooted in the Googleverse. I know it is a Google product, mmmkay? I just feel that this platform makes it too difficult to live in a non Google world. I don't want EVERYTHING about my online existence to live on a Google server somewhere! Makes me nervous....

Overall, I like the phone, and perhaps with time will grow to love it. But I miss my Pre. Combine the Samsung hardware with the Android app catalog all running on top of a WebOS platform and you would have near perfection.

What you have to realize is that most of the things you're wanting to do, can be done. However android is designed to allow apps to tackle those tasks as opposed to building them in, then limiting the app variety.
To see recent apps, hold the home button for 3 seconds. Also you could try task os from the market.
Try using quick settings (green) or extended controls for most commonly adjusted settings.(both have the option to be accessible from notification bar so you can reach them anytime without closing the app youre in. Then hit the back button to get to your app )
Also Try adw or launcher pro. Both will allow you to make a 4g shortcut as an icon and put it anywhere.
For the notifications...I don't know but I'm willing to bet someone has an app that will do what you want. I've never tried. But I bet it's there.

Last edited:

srdiamond#AC

May 2, 2011
Visit site
4G shortcut from launcher pro???? Are you sure about that?

"Try using quick settings (green) or extended controls for most commonly adjusted settings.(both have the option to be accessible from notification bar so you can reach them anytime without closing the app youre in. Then hit the back button to get to your app )"

Where is this green quick settings thing?

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
In the Market. Your first lesson in android is, Search the market first. Everything is there.
Give me 5 minutes and ill brb to explain how to do a 4g shortcut in launcher pro.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay launcher pro doesn't do it like adw. But it can do it in 3 clicks as oopses to 2. Ill explain both.
In adw long press a blank spot. Choose " custom shortcut"
Click on "pick your activity"
Scroll down to settings and click it.
Scroll down to 4g settings and click it. Click on the dialog line it opens.
It will take you back to the window for your shortcut. Click on the icon to change it.

When you click your new shortcut it will open the 4g settings page where you can turn it on or off.

Launcher pro does the same thing but the shortcut force closes so you have to make a shortcut to "wireless and networks" instead.
Long press a blank spot.
Choose shortcut
Choose activities
Scroll to settings and click it
Scroll down to wireless and network settings and click it.

(You can choose 4g settings just like in adw but for some reason it doesn't work with launcher pro)

The shortcut will be there.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I will say negative about the Nexus is that the battery life reminds me of my PRE...

Click the Getting Started button at the top of any forum for the:

Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone section.

I wrote the notes over at PreCentral on how to get the most from that battery. Similar things work here as well. You should be able to get 10 to 12 hours.

Also check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android for step-by-step guides on where everything is.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that nothing will help if you are in a low signal area, as my office is in a hole that causes issues. No way I can have a Sprint phone here without charging it all through the day. I kept a touchstone here to charge the Pre every day, and I have to charge my Nexus as well. Of course, I am streaming music all day, so I'm draining it.
If you do not get good signal at home or at your office, call Sprint and ask for an Airave. Here is how to do it: Great Signal-Airave

Sprint sent me a free Airave for home and another office with no monthly charge. The Airave is technically a Femptocell and is basically a cell tower you set up in your house. It is as small as a WiFi network box.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...I will miss...2) just type (damn that made finding people to text so fast)...
4) switching between apps

Im still confused on whats the best way to kill apps on the Android phones...
Just Type
You have Just Type. Touch Search then Just start Typing. For much more click the Getting Started button at the top of any forum> it is the Just Type section under Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions. You can easily customize what is included in your Just Type search.

Switch Apps
To Switch apps,see Multitasking section. You can long-press home to see your last 8 Recent Apps. I use so many different apps that that is not enough. Folders is the key to letting you be three clicks away from up to 256 apps.

Don't Kill Apps
You should typically not kill apps. See the video from Google at the end of the Multitasking section.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...The bad:
Multitasking is in there somewhere...
- See Multitasking...
Notifications.
- See Notifications...
The non Gmail email client...
- See Email Tips and Tricks for info and K-9 Mail.
Bring back Facebook sync!
- OK! In the Getting Started OP, see Contacts, Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn Sync
System settings...
- See Setup Tips and Tricks for a quick walkthrough...

Jeep_ster, we helped literally hundreds of people through the same learning curve with the Pre. The Pre was not worse than their old phones, just different. These same issues came up so often with the Pre that I wrote the webOS Getting Started Guides. And now for Android: Getting Started.

You know our 340 patches for webOS? Imagine if Palm had listened to us and made those as options. Google was listening and did make them options.

The upside is that you get to set up every little detail. The downside is that you get to set up every little detail.

The Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android will walk you through the differences. It is all there and so much more. It is just laid out a little differently.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Just Type
You have Just Type. Touch Search then Just start Typing
It's not the same. I use a persons initials to find their number relatively frequently. I will miss this most from Just Type. Not a deal breaker of course, but it was pretty intelligent.

Notifications.
- See Notifications...
I'm waiting for google to let me clear a notification without having to actually view the message. Again, just different way of doing things, but I still like webOS better for it =)

Needless to say, I was disappointed in the false sales rumor for the Nexus S on amazon... would have bought them for the whole family =) Now I will continue to wait for the EVO3D...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It's not the same. I use a persons initials to find their number relatively frequently. I will miss this most from Just Type. Not a deal breaker of course, but it was pretty intelligent.

I'm waiting for google to let me clear a notification without having to actually view the message. Again, just different way of doing things, but I still like webOS better for it =)

Agreed...I do prefer webOS for these two things. Regarding notifications, though...I actually prefer the unobtrusiveness of the Android notifications. It always annoyed me how they took up a good bit of my Pixi's screen (even minimized, they ate up screen real estate). I miss being able to swipe individual notifications away, but I prefer how they appear in Android. If Android let me swipe them away, it would be the best of both worlds.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I miss is the facebook pictures that were automatically assigned to my contacts. Is there a way to add this in? I had to manually enter all of my contacts online through Google Contacts, which sucked.
I think you have two issues. Contacts were saved to your phone, not Google and Facebook Sync needs to be turned on. Here is the detail.

1. Contacts were saved to your phone, not Google
When you bought your new phone, the rep should have transferred you old phone contacts to the new phone. Here is what to do if they didn't. From the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android:
Contact "Synergy"
Android automatically syncs contacts, calendar, profile photos, and email with Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, Flickr, Google, LinkedIn, Quik, Twitter, and more. When friends call, their Facebook photo and status pop up along with their name and number. For details on how to sync Accounts, see the Getting Started section on Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn Sync. Your webOS contacts and calendar from your Gmail account will automatically transfer to your new Android phone. Always save contacts to Google, not to your phone so that they were backed up to Google.

But what if you saved contact to Palm instead? You can export all Palm Profile contacts using the Send All Contacts via Email patch. Once this patch is installed, you will have a new option in your Contacts application to Save All Via Email. Send to your Gmail account. On your computer, open Gmail and save the "vCards" vcf file then open Gmail contacts and import this vcf file. All of your Facebook, LinkedIn, and Palm Profile phone numbers, birthdays, and other information will transfer. With Android this patch is built in; just tap People > Menu > Import/Export. Always save contacts to Google, not the phone.
2. Facebook Sync needs to be turned on.
From the Getting Started. To sync with Facebook: Tap Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Add Account > Facebook
Contacts, Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn Sync
Android integrates updates from Exchange, Facebook, Flickr, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other accounts into your Calendar and People (contacts). As friends or contacts update their email addresses, birthdays, phone numbers, events, photos, and status, your phone is automatically updated.
• To backup contacts from an Android device, tap Home > People > Inport/Export > Export
• Create new contacts Always save contacts as Contact Type Google NOT to Phone or they will not be backed up automatically.
• Tap Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync to Add an account or change settings.
• Set the Facebook Account settings to minimize how often it syncs to save battery.
• Tap People > Menu > View to turn on or off contacts from your different accounts, that is to hide or see certain contacts.
• For LinkedIn, first download the app here.
• Tap People > Menu > Groups button to see only certain groups of contacts.
For privacy, Android does not Sync accounts unless you specificaly ask it to. Just like with your Pre, Always save contacts to Google, not the phone.