Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

jorgesicas#AC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
One of my concern is that i though that the Facebook App for Android would be far more superior than the one for WebOs. However, i find that the Chat doesn't work. i get a notification saying i received a message and when i go to reply there is nothing. i have to log in to my computer to answer any Facebook IM.

Another thing that bothers me about the Android Facebook App is that on the News Feed i cannot choose from News Feed, Status Updates, Contacts Lists, Games, Links, Videos......on the Android version i am stuck just on the News Feed.

ANOTHER issue i am having with the Facebook App on Android is that i cannot load videos from it. From the News Feed i cannot Like or Comment immediately, i have to open the Comment and go from there.

They say there is an App for everything, well, i cannot find that Facebook third party app that brings me closer to the one i got used to in WebOs.

Before i get to Rooting my phone i ant to learn how rooting works. i am no much of a tech Guru and i keep hearing that Nexus phones are for developers.

it seems t me that all the Android Apps are robust, like they are missing that final QC step before releasing, and i just hate soooo many ADS! almost every free app i've downloaded come with ADS.

Their stock app market app seems like it is missing a lot of filters. it is hard to realize that they got a crap load of apps but they are so hard to find.

at least in my case i have not been ale to find that app that brings me that Synergy i am looking for in Messaging. i want to be able to TEXT and IM from the SAME App. like in WebOs we have that drop down menu in the conversation and we can choose where to send the message to. THAT's what i miss sooo much, i hate having a conversation with the same person in two or three different apps.

i have yet to find an app for notifications where i can clear individual notifications instead of hitting the Clear button on the stock notification bar. i would love to be able to delete emails form notifications too.

with all that said, i have to be patient and realize that WebOs also didn't have a lot of the features that i fell in love with if it wasn't for the Preware team and developers. i guess i just have to keep being patient.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
One of my concern is that i though that the Facebook App for Android would be far more superior than the one for WebOs. However, i find that the Chat doesn't work. i get a notification saying i received a message and when i go to reply there is nothing. i have to log in to my computer to answer any Facebook IM.

Another thing that bothers me about the Android Facebook App is that on the News Feed i cannot choose from News Feed, Status Updates, Contacts Lists, Games, Links, Videos......on the Android version i am stuck just on the News Feed.

ANOTHER issue i am having with the Facebook App on Android is that i cannot load videos from it. From the News Feed i cannot Like or Comment immediately, i have to open the Comment and go from there.

They say there is an App for everything, well, i cannot find that Facebook third party app that brings me closer to the one i got used to in WebOs.

Before i get to Rooting my phone i ant to learn how rooting works. i am no much of a tech Guru and i keep hearing that Nexus phones are for developers.

it seems t me that all the Android Apps are robust, like they are missing that final QC step before releasing, and i just hate soooo many ADS! almost every free app i've downloaded come with ADS.

Their stock app market app seems like it is missing a lot of filters. it is hard to realize that they got a crap load of apps but they are so hard to find.

at least in my case i have not been ale to find that app that brings me that Synergy i am looking for in Messaging. i want to be able to TEXT and IM from the SAME App. like in WebOs we have that drop down menu in the conversation and we can choose where to send the message to. THAT's what i miss sooo much, i hate having a conversation with the same person in two or three different apps.

i have yet to find an app for notifications where i can clear individual notifications instead of hitting the Clear button on the stock notification bar. i would love to be able to delete emails form notifications too.

with all that said, i have to be patient and realize that WebOs also didn't have a lot of the features that i fell in love with if it wasn't for the Preware team and developers. i guess i just have to keep being patient.
yeah, that's one thing palm did very well.. the whole synergy thing is a stupid name, but it works very very very well. Muliple exchange, gmail, and google apps accounts all tied together, cleanly. I actually don't like unified chat after using it some, I forget and google chat someone instead of texting them, it's a little annoying.

facebook is another app you can cherry pic as being one of the better apps across any platform. Well, when it worked anyway, pictures died off of it a while ago. it was quite nice, and looks well done. Well, this may not be true now actually, but it was several months ago. I know on iOS at least, I have friends that use the web version cause it's faster, heh.

jorgesicas#AC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
yeah, that's one thing palm did very well.. the whole synergy thing is a stupid name, but it works very very very well. Muliple exchange, gmail, and google apps accounts all tied together, cleanly. I actually don't like unified chat after using it some, I forget and google chat someone instead of texting them, it's a little annoying.

facebook is another app you can cherry pic as being one of the better apps across any platform. Well, when it worked anyway, pictures died off of it a while ago. it was quite nice, and looks well done. Well, this may not be true now actually, but it was several months ago. I know on iOS at least, I have friends that use the web version cause it's faster, heh.

on the other hand, i thought this is probably one of the best features of WebOs. i hate having a conversation with the same person in three or four different apps.

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. Many apps are just uglier, less fully developed versions of what is seen elsewhere. And although there are many cool apps I?ve tried out that aren?t available for webOS (Shazam and Soundhound wowed me today) it still doesn?t cancel the dismally weak core applications.

I went to Sprint today (a real corporate store, not kids in the mall) and begged for tips and help. First person didn?t even know what I meant about a real email client. (You mean you don?t get or can?t send? Huh? What more is there to email?) He also had no idea how to get individual SMS tones per contact. Second guy was a little better, but even he didn?t even realize until I showed him that Android?s stock email app has no search function. When I reminded him of how the Pre searched (filter as you type, sender or subject line) he said, "Well, yeah, but remember that Palm has been the leader in mobile for years and years, and Android is still very new."

Maybe that?s the thing, and maybe Android will keep improving. I just don?t know why I should wait if what I want, what just works, is already here. ("Here", meaning on Earth, not necessarily on Sprint)

This guy sums up what I?ve experienced so far with my Nexus... except replace the iOS with webOS.

http://releasecandidateone.com/241:my_month_with_the_nexus_s

Oh, and the other article he refers to about notifications... yes to that as well... the Android curtain seems like a heavy iron wall. I miss my whooshy and useful notifications... delete emails without leaving app, MusicPlayer Remix controls, etc.

Still, I?m giving it my full try. The plethora of apps may tide me over, if I can find a good-enough SMS, email, and agenda/todo/task app. So far I?m using K-9, SMS Popup (better than the bloated ones that run a useless and slow layer over the stock app) and am playing with both Astrid and Taskos for the tasks etc.

I?m open to and begging for suggestions!

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, can someone help me find a decent "Memo" replacement. I'm having to do everything in Drafts for e-mail. I don't like it! heh

I just want something that is as simple as it was on the Palm Pre. Everything so far is WAY complicated for such a simple task. And its usually bloated with ads, which im seeing MOST apps are.

Edit: After going through 5 or so apps, found one just simply called "Notes" in the Market, just plain ole simple text notes with nothing fancy. Perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiley_11

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I?ll try that, since I miss it too. I was using Notes in webOS (not same app) but with Android I?ve been using the "note to self" which just sends you an email... not real handy. Also trying Taskos and Astrid, but they?re not too handy for just quick memos.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, can someone help me find a decent "Memo" replacement. I'm having to do everything in Drafts for e-mail. I don't like it! heh

I just want something that is as simple as it was on the Palm Pre. Everything so far is WAY complicated for such a simple task. And its usually bloated with ads, which im seeing MOST apps are.

Edit: After going through 5 or so apps, found one just simply called "Notes" in the Market, just plain ole simple text notes with nothing fancy. Perfect.

Maybe not what you're looking for but I'm using evernote and I love it. Syncs so I have my notes on all devices.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe not what you're looking for but I'm using evernote and I love it. Syncs so I have my notes on all devices.

Yeah I don't need all that fancy mancy stuff. I won't likly read the notes im making for a month for all I care. Just need a quick place to take a note of somthing currently. It was rather a pain to make a email draft heh. Now I just simply make a note. Nothing more nothing else.

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I returned the Nexus today. I loved the cool apps on Android that I can?t get on webOS... but I just can?t get past the missing pieces and having to have layers of 3rd party apps running (and conflicting) to get the basic functions I want, like email searching, sending texts over 160 characters, taking quick memos, looking up contacts with just a couple key presses, etc.
The battery life is so, so bad as well. I did the "training" thing with full delete etc., but didn?t help. I lost 10% today just running the Navigation app as I drove a 10 minute trip. So what if I want to drive more than 100 minutes? This is probably due to the very bad reception of ALL of its radios. The Pre gets much better reception.

Android certainly has lots to like... and it?s a fast and powerful machine. But in the end, clunking through this ugly UI (just compare the look of most apps with their iOS counterparts, or webOS when available) finally reminded me of what I heard a high school teacher say many years ago about trying to "sober up" a drunk with coffee. It doesn?t work... all you get is a wide awake drunk.

I?ll keep watching closely though, as I wait for Sprint to get something else I can use. Android isn?t for me right now... but it certainly is better than I had thought, and may grow into what I?m hoping for in a few more iterations.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I returned the Nexus today. I loved the cool apps on Android that I can?t get on webOS... but I just can?t get past the missing pieces and having to have layers of 3rd party apps running (and conflicting) to get the basic functions I want, like email searching, sending texts over 160 characters, taking quick memos, looking up contacts with just a couple key presses, etc.
The battery life is so, so bad as well. I did the "training" thing with full delete etc., but didn?t help. I lost 10% today just running the Navigation app as I drove a 10 minute trip. So what if I want to drive more than 100 minutes? This is probably due to the very bad reception of ALL of its radios. The Pre gets much better reception.

Android certainly has lots to like... and it?s a fast and powerful machine. But in the end, clunking through this ugly UI (just compare the look of most apps with their iOS counterparts, or webOS when available) finally reminded me of what I heard a high school teacher say many years ago about trying to "sober up" a drunk with coffee. It doesn?t work... all you get is a wide awake drunk.

I?ll keep watching closely though, as I wait for Sprint to get something else I can use. Android isn?t for me right now... but it certainly is better than I had thought, and may grow into what I?m hoping for in a few more iterations.

As a launch day pre owner, I disagree with you completely. There are good and bad about both. Webos is so far beyond I can enjoy my nexus for atleast 2 years then, if webos is still around, think about coming back. Hp just has so far to go to catch up.I'm not sure they can do it. Plus, webos isn't even coming to sprint for a while.

Last edited:

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
anyone have a good ringtone downloader app for android? I miss that app from my Pre which on a whim I could download a new song ringtone and apply it to an individual contact.

leescharf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
QUESTION: I loved on the Pre that even if the phone was set to silent (ringer) mode, if you had a headset plugged in the ring tone would play. Any way to do that with Android?

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else keep the pre as a wifi-only device?

Just picked it up for the first time since I got the nexus. I'm shocked at how much I miss webos. It's just so nice. Grabbing it right off the touchstone. The up swipe. Throwing cards. Gosh it's beautiful.

Still holding out hope for sprint and the pre3

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

cheeks1958

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

Just made the switch.

I was about as loyal to Palm as you can get, see sig below. But HP really screwed up by not giving us a better road map ahead and the silence was deafening on what will be coming (or not coming) to Sprint. In short, I got tired of waiting and even more tired of wondering if my wait would even culminate in a phone going to Sprint.

Then throw in HP's complete disregard for supporting launch day Pre owners. No WebOS updates, no nothing. No concern or care at all, almost like it didn't matter if we abandoned ship or not.

I do miss WebOS gestures, multi tasking and notifications but that's where it ends. Last weekend the Google navigation worked to perfection on a 5 hour trip to Corpus Christi, a city I've been to only twice in the past 30 years. I had zero problem getting there and getting around in unfamiliar surroundings. Once inside the city limits a buddy called and told me to pick up some avocados and beer on the way in, and on the fly going 55 mph I was able to say "navigate to HEB", and boom the info was live within 10 seconds and I was able to make the required freeway exit less than a mile ahead. Wham bam I'm in the grocery store and back on the freeway in less than 10 minutes. With my Pre I would have blown past that exit by a several miles before google maps would have even loaded, plus I would have had to exit and stop in order to type in the destination since I was the one driving.

The voice command feature alone blows the Pre to smithereens. As for speed, it's not even fair. Battery life is much better on the Nexus as well.

Glad I made the switch !

Last edited:

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

I am liking this phone a lot. Love swype and all the great apps. Love the form factor though its a bit slippery. The screen is an epiphany. Blacks are so black and colors pop. I'm a little cocerned about the signal strength issues though so far its been decent. Noled is a must get and works great. Eritrea phone makes my pre look like a kids toy. It will take a while to hey used to android as everything is a little more
Laborious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678