Exchange - Activate Device Administration?

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up my new Nexus S 4G today and was setting up my exchange account for my work email and was presented with the following message(s):

the server **.****.net requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your phone.

* Erase all data - Erase the phone's data without warning by performing a factory reset.
* Set Current Password Rules- control the length and the characters allowed in screen-unlock passwords
* Monitor Screen-unlock Attempts
* Lock the Screen- Control how and when the screen locks.

Now mind you that my corporate email is a "cloud based" system. I know it works on two fellow employees phones (Droid X & Samsung Epic). Could this be a Gingerbread security add on?

Do you think I should Activate?

Help please.

Thanks.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up my new Nexus S 4G today and was setting up my exchange account for my work email and was presented with the following message(s):

the server **.****.net requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your phone.

* Erase all data - Erase the phone's data without warning by performing a factory reset.
* Set Current Password Rules- control the length and the characters allowed in screen-unlock passwords

Now mind you that my corporate email is a "cloud based" system. I know it works on two fellow employees phones (Droid X & Samsung Epic). Could this be a Gingerbread security add on?

Help please.

Thanks.

Do not think you have a choice if you want exchange.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

Help please.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this is on other versions of Android. I know I've seen it but I forget what ROM/version.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
if you want email you have no choice but to accept the policy. As i said before, i don't plan on maintaining code but if someone creates an open source project for this phone id contribute. I could do EAS bypass in email.apk. If you don't want to wait for that, pony up $10 and buy advanced email from the market which also offers EAS policy bypass.

blu8503

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Help please.

Thanks.
Speaking as someone who manages an Exchange server this is totally normal. Exchange has built in control over a device that connects to it. just accept and be on your way. it is there for technically for corporations so they can cover their asses

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Turns out I was reading too far into it. I hit Activate, all is well. Everything sync'd up and phone is still functional. Go ahead and kill the thread.

of btw, this phone kicks ass.!

idlestranger1

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
i have a samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket version 2.3.5, regarding this issue it was working fine when i configured at first but now i do not recieve any emails and it doesnt even show my previously recieved emails, i have tried changing and updating the password and have also tried removing and adding the account and still nothing happens rather it gives me this error that it will delete every thing from the phone and that the company will be given access to use some apps on your device.

i havent updated the software and it was working fine all of a sudden it just stopped ...i have also tried using IMAP and POP3 settings but it just wont go through?

can anyone help me regarding this ???

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Your EAS policies would control some features on your phone depending on what they do,and the activesync implementation is warning you about it.

If you want to bypass the policies, and do so with success,which i doubt, you'll be putting your company at risk, worst yet, your exchange admins will suck plain and simple, I'm an Exchange engineer, and even if somebody managed to install this $10 applications to bypass my EAS policies,that phone would be quarantined right on the spot, plus you'll throw away your $10, and you bet Infosec and your manager will know about it, assuming they have the right controls in place.

I can't even do Activesync with my phone cause i have a custom ROM. I have some things in place to detect and quarantine such devices. It's company policy, and i get paid to comply with them. if you don't want to comply with the policies, get the company to pay for a different phone, or if the company is flexible enough, agree with somebody to what you want to do.

If you want a good activesync client for your droid, get an app called Touchdown, it integrates very nicely with your droid, and it's fully EAS compatible.

Good luck.

HemantSoni

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I am facing this issue after installing Office 2010. Before that it was all working perfectly fine...with Office 2007.

Anyone thoughts? It is killing situation.

JHL007

May 25, 2012
Visit site
buckethead, If you don't really know the answer to the OP's question, why bother to post a useless response?

As blu8503 indicated, despite what appears to be a dire warning about a potential factory reset, selecting Activate completes the Exchange email setup process without any consequences, and is therefore the only option of you do indeed want to configure Exchange email on your Android device.