First impressions and Hands-on reviews go here! :)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Is it the same issue the evo had when it was released? Wasn't there a software update that fixed it?

Yep, multiple phones have had the same issue and its usually fixed with an OTA once the sqwaking gets loud enough. Sign me up on the list of people that need this fixed ASAP.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The Nexus S only has 1GB for apps? I thought it was 16GB... How is the GPS on the phone? Does it suffer from the same problems as the Samsung Galaxy series?

Yes, it has 1gb for apps which I believe is the most amount allocated space to /data out of all the android phones made. You may be confusing /data and /SD. /Data has 1gb, /SD has 13gb. GPS is fine. Locks on fast and is accurate. Doesn't suffer from the same problem as other Samsung android phones

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it has 1gb for apps which I believe is the most amount allocated space to /data out of all the android phones made. GPS is fine. Locks on fast and is accurate. Doesn't suffer from the same problem as other Samsung android phones

Wait...then why do some sites say 16GB? Once you download 1GB of apps (and have a lot of texts, history in the browser, etc), that's it until you clear it out? I'm kinda confused here. :(

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Wait...then why do some sites say 16GB? Once you download 1GB of apps (and have a lot of texts, history in the browser, etc), that's it until you clear it out? I'm kinda confused here. :(

You are confusing things. Also, do you realize how many apps you'd have to download to use 1GB of space? You really don't have to worry.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
See above. I edited to clarify.

OH! Okay. That makes sense then. :) Thanks!

You are confusing things. Also, do you realize how many apps you'd have to download to use 1GB of space? You really don't have to worry.

Coming from an LG Optimus V, the space issue never hit me until literally one month into having it when it would just block texts at that point. :( It's good to know that problem shouldn't be so quick on this. :)

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
A new complaint which I'm sure people will be talking about shortly, the wifi reception range is a joke. I can be 20 feet away from my dual band wireless N router and have very low or no reception while I tested on 4 different android devices and an iPhone and they all had full signal. Maybe I'm holding it wrong, no wait, that's a different phone lol

EDIT - To further my point, right this minute I'm sitting 5 feet from said router, no walls I'm literally sitting right in front if it, and getting 3 out of 4 bars.

You are holding it wrong :) - that made me laugh.

From what I remember these bars are not really correct. Are you actually having problems with wifi or is it just cosmetic? when you have 1-2 bars what is your speed rating on the wifi connection? does it drop to 1mbit or does it still stay at N speeds?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You are holding it wrong :) - that made me laugh.

From what I remember these bars are not really correct. Are you actually having problems with wifi or is it just cosmetic? when you have 1-2 bars what is your speed rating on the wifi connection? does it drop to 1mbit or does it still stay at N speeds?
The bars are correct. I get about 30-50 feet from the router and the the phone actually disconnects from wifi completely. I'd be fine if it showed 1 bar but was fast but it completely disconnects because it cant hold the signal :'(

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully there is a fast update to address the wifi, not good. Does the GSM NS suffer from this does anyone know?

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Also having the wifi issue, I've got the phone about 2 feet from the router. Have power cycled both devices. Has fair to full signal, but completely drops the WiFi randomly. Especially while on a call.

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I think there is something with the bars too. I have an airave and know that I have good signal in my place. The phone is only showing 1-2 bars though. Haven't had any trouble with call quality yet though... so I don't know if it displaying properly.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Let's really dumb this down. The Sprint Nexus S comes with 999MB main storage, compared to about 372MB on the EVO 4G. There is 16GB of SD USB storage (think of it as a 16GB microSD card that is built into the phone) that is only about 13.31GB available due to system files already being used. This is similar to a computer hard drive when it states the size as 100GB but only 97GB usable. You will never have exactly 16GB available on flash or microsSD storage. That is just the way it is. I am very happy about the 1GB of onboard storage since my EVO is almost full and with the same programs loaded on the Nexus S I still have about 777MB left. Awesome. I have the WiFi issue as well. The Android Market doesn't work with WiFi on either most of the time. Once I turn off WiFi everything works fine. I also notice that the reception on the Nexus S is much worse than the EVO 4G even though the call quality is the same.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
The wifi issue is definitely signal degredation, not cosmetic. I can just be sitting here, using the wifi just fine, and suddenly the wifi and mobile network signal will both go gray and be unable to do anything internet wise

49funky

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am dissapointed in the WIFI and I am not getting 4G, even though according to the coverage map I should be getting it just fine.

Hmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non