First impressions and Hands-on reviews go here! :)

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I am getting a lot of full to 1 bar of service and I am five feet from and Airave. Could this be the same thing as the wifi issue?

Larryg46

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Traded my Hero for Nexus S 4g on Wednesday. I've had many "mobile" phones since 1972 (yes we had electricity back then). Nexus s is a great improvement over hero, but still has some issues. Two quickies... 1. Won't detect my Bluetooth headset. 2. Major issue for me...no native sync with Outlook. HTC sync is free and worked great. Third party software to sync Samsung costs $40 and reviews are less than stellar. May have to exchange for an Evo...would like to hear from anyone who switched from Evo to Nexus S.

Not having wifi problem mentioned by others. My router is downstairs and I can go upstairs to opposite end of house and remain connected.

Good news - unlike hero, voice dial works well. So does voice to text for messaging. Would be a bonus if voice dial worked with Bluetooth.

Last edited:

jtc411

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if this phone still exhibits really bad browser lag? I had this phone on tmobile and sent it packing due to borderline worthless web browsing. Any sign of pictures and flash and the browser would bog the whole phone down and scrolling was impossible. I loved the phone, however this was a deal breaker for me. Hoping maybe 2.3.4 had some sort of acceleration in the bug fixes

49funky

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if this phone still exhibits really bad browser lag? I had this phone on tmobile and sent it packing due to borderline worthless web browsing. Any sign of pictures and flash and the browser would bog the whole phone down and scrolling was impossible. I loved the phone, however this was a deal breaker for me. Hoping maybe 2.3.4 had some sort of acceleration in the bug fixes

I installed Opera and Firefox, both are FAR superior. I find the native browser unusable. Again, finding I am missing WebOS, the native browser for my pre was WAY better.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I installed Opera and Firefox, both are FAR superior. I find the native browser unusable. Again, finding I am missing WebOS, the native browser for my pre was WAY better.

Was this due to browser lag or you just didn't like how the stock browser was?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My Wifi seems to be working fine. Connectivity is on par with my LG. I'm using airport express as an access point and no problems using it from my bedroom and my balcony. I get fair connection listed but speed is still 72Mbit

Also my capacitive buttons are dim but I'm able to see them without issues

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

It lags a lot on mine.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I would checkout Dolphin Browser Mini or HD or Miren Browser if you are looking for a better alternative. I have used both and like them equally. Huge step up from stock.

lars47

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the NS4G at Best Buy yesterday. This is my first Android phone, coming over from the original Sprint Palm Pre. So far, very nice phone. Here are my complaints thus far:

1) I just took the phone outside for a walk, and the screen was hard to see, even when set to maximum brightness. I was not expecting this from an AMOLED screen. The Palm Pre screen was brighter in this regard.

2) The bottom button row is extremely dim, basically invisible in sunlight.

3) Though I'm in a suburb of Chicago which is blanketed in 4G, I cannot get a 4G signal anywhere inside the house, first or second floor. I just walked through downtown La Grange and did some speed tests, and did get some nice results: 4.2 Mbps down and 916 kbps up. This isn't a deal breaker, as I have wifi in the house. But if the home internet goes out, it'd be nice to know I could use the phone as backup. I guess it'll have to be 3G backup.

4) The speakerphone volume seems a bit weak compared to the Pre. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and was hoping I could perhaps use the phone to do so without a headset. Doesn't seem like it's going to be an option. Perhaps I can find a volume booster somewhere.

Of all of these, the screen brightness really is a tough pill to swallow.

xo96

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Been playing with the NS4G since Saturday. Coming from the EVO with Cyanogen 7, IMHO I'll be wiping this down and repack send it back to Best Buy.
Understandably the Sprint variation is still "New" and Modds are coming along, however there are couple of things I encounter might be a deal breaker for me:
- 4G definitely not strong enough as the EVO, or the Shift. Getting cut in N out on a stationary spot. 1/2 hour comparison with the EVO, Shift and the NS4G;
- Speaker / ring volume is mediocre at best.;
- Lack of physically LED notification and none of the four standard buttons lights up;
- The Super AMOLED screen has a slight tint whereas it makes the screen dimmer even thought everything was on "Auto" mode. A metallic blue reflection when viewing under the sunlight. *This of course can be adjusted using some screen protector.

The only thing I like is the speed of installation of programs are much faster than the EVO/Shift.

My useless two cents.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
part of deciding on the nexus s 4g:

my router is a cradlepoint mbr1000. service via att.

router has native wimax. is that for in house wifi to phone, or just for connection to sprint network via sprint data card?

tia, dana

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Picked up the NS4G at Best Buy yesterday. This is my first Android phone, coming over from the original Sprint Palm Pre. So far, very nice phone. Here are my complaints thus far:

1) I just took the phone outside for a walk, and the screen was hard to see, even when set to maximum brightness. I was not expecting this from an AMOLED screen. The Palm Pre screen was brighter in this regard.

2) The bottom button row is extremely dim, basically invisible in sunlight.

3) Though I'm in a suburb of Chicago which is blanketed in 4G, I cannot get a 4G signal anywhere inside the house, first or second floor. I just walked through downtown La Grange and did some speed tests, and did get some nice results: 4.2 Mbps down and 916 kbps up. This isn't a deal breaker, as I have wifi in the house. But if the home internet goes out, it'd be nice to know I could use the phone as backup. I guess it'll have to be 3G backup.

4) The speakerphone volume seems a bit weak compared to the Pre. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and was hoping I could perhaps use the phone to do so without a headset. Doesn't seem like it's going to be an option. Perhaps I can find a volume booster somewhere.

Of all of these, the screen brightness really is a tough pill to swallow.

I'm in Downers Grove and sometimes I can't get a 4g signal in my house to save my life. Its a bit touchy. As for the screen. Have you played with the brightness options? I know i had to adjust mine where the autobrightness was on. Once I turned that off I had no problem seeing the screen.

I'm really not sure whats going on with the softkey buttons. Sometimes mine are bright sometimes they are not. I have a feeling this is a software issure more than a hardware issue. Since they light up in the first place.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Spring Palm Pre and I absolutely loved that phone. Getting the phone the other day from Best Buy I was excited being my frist android phone. However i'm finding that the battery life of this phone is aboslutely horrible. I charge my phone all night and when i get to work I find that my battery is already starting to decreased. I'm not even half way through the day and battery is almost out. So i'm debating on taking it back to best buy or not, that's something that i'm not happy with at all. Otherwise i haven't had any issues.

Have you downloading any apps that are running the background? Do you have GPS on? Screen brightness? I have had my phone unplugged since 730am, had tweetdeck updating every 15mins, listened to streaming espn.com for 4 plus hours and I have about 35% battery left. If this was my palm pre I would have had to recharged at least twice by now. Hopefully you can figure it out.

Let me know what settings you have going. Maybe we can't work this out for you.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my nexus online last night. I am really not liking all of the negative reactions. It reminds me of the first few months with my palm pre.

I will state this right here, right now, I will not own a phone where I am always waiting on the next update to fix something. I've been there, done that with the Pre minus.

I have a feeling I will be taking advantage of the 30-day return. I am sick to my stomach that THIS is the Android device I finally gave into (and I dont even ahve it in hand yet),

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered my nexus online last night. I am really not liking all of the negative reactions. It reminds me of the first few months with my palm pre.

I will state this right here, right now, I will not own a phone where I am always waiting on the next update to fix something. I've been there, done that with the Pre minus.

I have a feeling I will be taking advantage of the 30-day return. I am sick to my stomach that THIS is the Android device I finally gave into (and I dont even ahve it in hand yet),

Negative reviews always are talked about over positive reviews. Also, Google controls the updates so we'll probably see a fix for them much faster than we would if Sprint or Samsung were controlling them.

Also, it's still new to Sprint, there's bound to be bugs that need working out.

Honestly, it's not your fault so don't feel bad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae