4g Toggle Widget

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from a Sprint store. When I was there I asked the rep about such a toggle because he was using the Nexus as his personal phone. He said he just leaves 4G on all the time because this device apparently manages the 4G better - will "put it to sleep," so to speak. Is this true?...and even if it is, does it not still drain the battery faster than leaving it switched off?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My problem with 4G is there is no handshake between the 3g and 4g radios meaning when I'm in spotty coverage (most places), and it switches from 4g back to 3g, it cuts your data connection completely for a few seconds. Same when it's switching from 3G to 4G. I use Gtalk A LOT, I have Gtalk messages coming in all the time. Gtalk uses data connection. So to my friends it's appears that I'm online, I'm offline, I'm online, I'm offline. It's confusing and frustrating for them because they don't know if I'm truly offline or not.

I don't think it's possible for this to be corrected due to the EVDO/1xrtt and Wimax radios being separate radios so I'll likely never turn on 4G until it blankets me in its fast speeds as well as 3G does :( Probably not a big deal for some but i rely on my phone so i cant have constant data connection drops.

sportsfan206

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Open the market, search droidmania, click their app, click email developer.

Unfortunately there is no link to email them in the market, only a "visit developer's website link" which also has no email link. I assume it's because all they do is make toggles, which really don't require support.

Ccureton

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
So here is what I did. I downloaded launcher pro and as I was adding all my stuff back on the screen i noticed there was an option to add actions to a home screen. Long story short one of them allowed me to open directly to the 4g settings and then I could turn it off. It's not as easy as a toggle but it's pretty quick and beats navigating though menus every time I want to turn it on. Now I just have to wait to go somewhere with 4g.

sukhdeeps

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
So here is what I did. I downloaded launcher pro and as I was adding all my stuff back on the screen i noticed there was an option to add actions to a home screen. Long story short one of them allowed me to open directly to the 4g settings and then I could turn it off. It's not as easy as a toggle but it's pretty quick and beats navigating though menus every time I want to turn it on. Now I just have to wait to go somewhere with 4g.

I just found this last night too! Looks like this will be the best solution until someone get a toggle button working for the 4g.

davesbass

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I was able to make a 4g settings shortcut button on my widget bar with widgetsoid 2.0. you create a new widget- pick "shortcut", pick 'enable all sub-menus' and the 1st 4g settings item works. this opens it right to the "enable 4g" option in the settings menu. the icon is the stock android "missing icon" icon to get a 4g item you have to ge the donate version

Boilingpoint

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I used the shortcut option on launcher pro to mount a shortcut to the 4g setting in my quick launch bar.

Steps for those who need them are as follow:
Press and hold the slot on your dock bar where you want to put it.

Select Change Shortcut

Select Activities

and select the first option should say 4g settings.

hi-tech34

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from a Sprint store. When I was there I asked the rep about such a toggle because he was using the Nexus as his personal phone. He said he just leaves 4G on all the time because this device apparently manages the 4G better - will "put it to sleep," so to speak. Is this true?...and even if it is, does it not still drain the battery faster than leaving it switched off?

I have been using this setting and have not noticed any worse battery drain issues. Seeems to work fine.

supercluver

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I used Minimalistic Text widget to create a "4G" text widget on my homescreen and then set it to open the 4G settings menu when tapped. Best way I've found, and then you can customize how it looks and such....

Reactions: vansmack

supercluver

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you j_grouchy for providing the link. As an example, here is a screenshot showing the "4G" text widget that when tapped, takes me straight to the 4G settings where I can then turn it on or off. I did my best to match the green coloring in gingerbread. The hex value for the text color is FF8FBB16 which you can set in the minimalistic text app settings.

Reactions: splmonster

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I used Minimalistic Text widget to create a "4G" text widget on my homescreen and then set it to open the 4G settings menu when tapped. Best way I've found, and then you can customize how it looks and such....

This worked beautifully for me. Thanks for sharing how you did it...

Last edited:

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You can do the same thing from adw directly.

Just create a custom shortcut and choose 4g settings. Then you can choose any icon from a pack or the gallery.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol