Problem with text message character limit?

Aldonia

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, just got my Nexus S yesterday and I love it! However, though the user guide says text messages over the 160 character limit will automatically go over into a second message that will be sent at the same time (like most phones and like the Rant I switched from), once I hit 160 characters, I am not allowed to input any more text. I have looked at all the messaging settings and can't seem to rectify this. Is anyone else having this problem and its there anything I can do to fix this? I send a lot of longer text messages and it is getting annoying having to stop and make two drafts or go back and truncate my texts. Any input is appreciated, I have the feeling I'm just missing something! Thanks.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Does Handcent have a message limit? I see that the stock application only allows 200 messages and then kaput!

That is 200 messages per thread by default but you should be able to change that if you opening up the messaging app and go to settings and change the limit.

blu8503

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, just got my Nexus S yesterday and I love it! However, though the user guide says text messages over the 160 character limit will automatically go over into a second message that will be sent at the same time (like most phones and like the Rant I switched from), once I hit 160 characters, I am not allowed to input any more text. I have looked at all the messaging settings and can't seem to rectify this. Is anyone else having this problem and its there anything I can do to fix this? I send a lot of longer text messages and it is getting annoying having to stop and make two drafts or go back and truncate my texts. Any input is appreciated, I have the feeling I'm just missing something! Thanks.
In the message app hit the menu button and adjust your settings accordingly, the limit is right there

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I know on the EVO it said how many characters you had so far. If you went over, the recipient would see ( 1 of 3) or whatever. However, the Nexus doesn't even show you what you are at as you type. Oh well

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a Nexus yet, but on my EVO running cm7 if you go into the stock android SMS app, in the settings there is an option you can check for SMS split (basically breaks up SMS messages every 160 characters for when using on CDMA networks) is that option there and can you try checking it and seeing if that helps?

Or like what was mentioned, handcent or some of the other third party SMS apps do have that option which should solve the problem.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I know on the EVO it said how many characters you had so far. If you went over, the recipient would see ( 1 of 3) or whatever. However, the Nexus doesn't even show you what you are at as you type. Oh well

Try handcent, that will do that.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Did you check in the messaging app settings for a setting that says "Always show character counter"?

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Like several people have said a 3rd party sms app fixes this issue. I use go sms and there is a setting buried somewhere in the (from the main sms screen hit menu->send settings->split large messages) that will fix any issues. Sadly forcing the messages to be split is a CDMA limitation and was the same on the palm pre.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Why is forcing the messages to be split a CDMA limitation? As far as I know it's an SMS limitation.

GSM carriers support SMS concatenation (long SMS) so SMS can automatically get broken up on the carrier side. Not the same with US CDMA carriers, long SMS isn't supported, so with Sprint, Verizon... the splitting has to be done on the phone itself.

Reactions: yibrushn

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
GSM carriers support SMS concatenation (long SMS) so SMS can automatically get broken up on the carrier side. Not the same with US CDMA carriers, long SMS isn't supported, so with Sprint, Verizon... the splitting has to be done on the phone itself.

Palm Pre sure had no issues splitting up my 6 text long rants : )

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Palm Pre sure had no issues splitting up my 6 text long rants : )

A lot of the time a CDMA device's sms application will do the splitting on it's own (Just about every phone that I've ever done texting on, going back to the monochrome screens ;) ). That is one thing that Palm had thought about, which is why your messages just worked and no one saw the CDMA limit as a problem. It seems that the sms application on the Nexus is still programmed for the GSM version of the Nexus, as the stock messenger on my Intercept sent long messages just fine.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh ok that makes sense. I always thought it was done phone-side, but that's just the case with the CDMA providers. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power