Issues with screen becoming unresponsive

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have issues where the screen becomes unresponsive? Sometimes when I get to the home screen I can't swipe between the other home screens.

Anyone know what might be the issue?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

m3grady2

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mines does the same thing also. Everything else seems to work fine but can't swipe thru the homescreens. It has to be a memory leak somewhere causing it. A widget or a program we have running.

IXDoubleDXI

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the swiping issue as well as the keyboard in Handcent and Facebook. A quick restart and it went away. The swiping seemed to not function only when using the right side of the screen. Left side swiping seemed to work fine.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I had that problem, but also just hitting keys on the keyboard or touching icons it would be unresponsive. I also had major WiFi problems, terrible signal (1 bar next to airrave), yellowish screen, poor call quality, low media volume, slow GPS, Those were hardware issues, not to mention a very poor email client, contacts program, calendar program, no outside viewable screen. I was really hoping to ditch my EVO for the Nexus S, but it just doesn't add up. Sure you might get the latest Android software release, but that is really it. Other than good looks and new Android software releases there really is nothing special about this phone.The screen on my EVO is actually better in direct sunlight than the Nexus which was my main reason for getting the Nexus. No widgets, need to purchase multiple software apps just to provide some of the minimum features that the EVO provides out of the box. Anyone trying to decide between the Nexus and the EVO 3D or EVO 4G, stick with the EVO's.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I had that problem, but also just hitting keys on the keyboard or touching icons it would be unresponsive. I also had major WiFi problems, terrible signal (1 bar next to airrave), yellowish screen, poor call quality, low media volume, slow GPS, Those were hardware issues, not to mention a very poor email client, contacts program, calendar program, no outside viewable screen. I was really hoping to ditch my EVO for the Nexus S, but it just doesn't add up. Sure you might get the latest Android software release, but that is really it. Other than good looks and new Android software releases there really is nothing special about this phone.The screen on my EVO is actually better in direct sunlight than the Nexus which was my main reason for getting the Nexus. No widgets, need to purchase multiple software apps just to provide some of the minimum features that the EVO provides out of the box. Anyone trying to decide between the Nexus and the EVO 3D or EVO 4G, stick with the EVO's.

I must have a great Nexus copy as mine don't suffer from any of the hardware issues described here - my screen swiping is very smooth indeed. If you have any app that does background syncing on schedule, things will naturally slow for a sec or so while the sync is going on. This is as true for the Nexus as other phones I have - Evo, Evo Shift, Epic, Hero and LG Optimus. If you feel you have a bad copy of the phone, do a factory reset and don't install any apps, if the problem persists, exchange for a new phone, otherwise install and test apps one at a time to identify which is the one causing your problem.

*** COMMENCE RANT ***

Regarding techgeek32's rant about the software issues, anyone getting this phone needs to do some research before buying - this is a plain vanilla Android phone, that means there are no additional skins (i.e., Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur) installed over the OS. These skins provide additional functions, widgets and custom apps out-of-the-box and make your user experince smoother from the start. If what you want is maximum usability with minimal fuss, then DO NOT get a Nexus; the Evo and the Epic are great phones that will fit your needs better that the Nexus. However, if you want a barebones OS so you can have full discretion of which apps get installed to fit your needs, and you are willing to do the legwork to find them, then the Nexus is certainly for you.

I agree 100% with techgeek32, the basic PIM apps on Android OS are just that... basic. The ones on Sense are more robust and have more eye candy for those who like that sort of thing. However, the functionality gap between the Evo and the Nexus is not too wide and only a small handful of free apps are need to bridge it. The reward for Nexus owners is the lack of multiple background services included with Sense (and all the others) that you may not need or want and are set to run automatically consuming resources and, in some cases, battery power.

When I compare the Nexus to my Epic (the closest comparison in terms of hardware), I look at the services and programs running on each one out-of-the-box and there is a substantial difference, the Nexus having just a few. That translate in my case into better battery life and smoother overall experience on the Nexus.

To me - a geek and hacker at heart - the Nexus is what I have been looking for since I moved to Android. If you do decide to get a Nexus, please stop complaining about the lack of this and that my <<insert phone here>> had... the Nexus is not SUPPOSED to have any of that extra stuff and you are SUPPOSED to know that BEFORE picking one up!!!

*** END RANT ***

Last edited:
Reactions: gabbott

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It does seem to happen more frequently after heavy downloading, so maybe its just a ram usage issue or something along those lines. Hopefully it can be tweaked somehow

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15