07-04-2013 01:44 AM
534 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Google/Sprint/Samsung being aware of this issue is not enough. I just ported my # to Sprint specifically for this phone and the issues I am having make it unusable at times, even with the assistance of an airave. I have 2 more weeks to decide what to do with this phone, because being locked into a 2-year contract with a phone that is defective is not something a smart consumer would do. I am not going to put my faith in the hopes that an OTA will fix this.

Without an Official statement by one of those three parties, they are essentially off the hook from claiming ownership over this issue, which is why none has been given. A random Google or Samsung employee saying they are aware of an issue is not enough, as that can be dismissed later on down the road as a misstatement. HTC's CEO made an Official statement, so now his company can be held totally accountable if he reneges on the locked bootloader issue.

I refuse to stay silent on an issue and don't see why someone should be silenced on an open forum. The way things work when dealing with companies is that if an issue is widespread and has press coverage, they will be forced to respond or run the risk of losing customers and money. That is how the system works. If a company could keep an issue silent, without having to address it, they will do just that, and the consumer will be left holding more than their phone in their hand.

my 2cents
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    05-27-2011 10:48 AM
    First, there is no factual proof that the number of people who have problems is 2x the number of people who are NOT having problems. Since there are now more than 19,185 views of this thread specifically, but only 265 postings to it, using that as evidence EITHER WAY is not valid.

>snip<

Third, there are lots of threads here and elsewhere on this topic, many with lots of views, but the number of postings in those threads is LESS THAN 5% of the people viewing them.

Fourth, I work in a Sprint store, and can testify that we have an extremely LOW number of these phones coming back, less than ANY of the other phones sold in the stores.

>snip<
    I just wanted to chime in because I'm among those viewing who have not posted. There may be many others like me who saw no need to post since our problems have been well documented by others. We quietly follow this and other threads, waiting for word of an official response and timeline for a fix. Likewise, I have not visited my local Sprint store, since the procedure to do a hard reset is also well known (and in my case, ineffective at mitigating the issue). Typing your observations in uppercase doesn't qualify them as a more representative sample.

I really like the Nexus S 4G and want it to be a success, which is why I've been lurking here hoping to see news of progress made on a resolution. I sat in a restaurant last night struggling to get data service while my wife's connection on her old Palm Pre zipped along happily. That is embarrassing. If this was my first ever phone on Sprint, maybe I would think these reception issues were normal based on my location. However, long-time Sprint customers know better.

We understand that troubleshooting a problem like this is time consuming and difficult. Just tell me it's being worked on and I will wait patiently while enjoying other outstanding features of this device. Sure I could go back to my old phone and look for something else, but switching phones again isn't my idea of fun. I simply want this one to work properly. Is that too much to ask?
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    05-27-2011 10:54 AM
    Subscribed.

From this point on, this thread will stay 100% on topic. We are addressing problems with the Nexus S, not with each other. Any posts of direct references/criticisms toward other members will be deleted and/or receive an infraction. I appreciate everyone's understanding and cooperation in advance.
    Wiley_11 and Richard1864 like this.
    05-27-2011 11:28 AM
    Has anyone had luck with doing a complete factory reset? On a related note, if I were to try this, is there an easy way to see a list of all applications that I have purchased in the past so that it makes redownloading the apps much easier?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    05-27-2011 11:42 AM
    Has anyone had luck with doing a complete factory reset? On a related note, if I were to try this, is there an easy way to see a list of all applications that I have purchased in the past so that it makes redownloading the apps much easier?

GB has a built in feature to restore settings/applications from the market. It is under the privacy settings where it is enabled/disabled.
    05-27-2011 11:43 AM
    Subscribed.

From this point on, this thread will stay 100% on topic. We are addressing problems with the Nexus S, not with each other. Any posts of direct references/criticisms toward other members will be deleted and/or receive an infraction. I appreciate everyone's understanding and cooperation in advance.
    Thank you!!! As a prospective NS4G buyer I find this thread very helpful. The recent attempts to silence honest discussion were becoming quite annoying in my opinion. I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a NS4G but I need reliable 3G/wifi.
    05-27-2011 11:55 AM
    Thank you!!! As a prospective NS4G buyer I find this thread very helpful. The recent attempts to silence honest discussion were becoming quite annoying in my opinion. I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a NS4G but I need reliable 3G/wifi.
    Glad to help. The Nexus S is a great phone, and it deserves a great forum
    05-27-2011 12:03 PM
    GB has a built in feature to restore settings/applications from the market. It is under the privacy settings where it is enabled/disabled.
    Have you found out with what frequency GB backs those up?
    05-27-2011 12:21 PM
    Sean : Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: What can you tell me about the signal issues people are having with the nexus s 4g? I would like to get one but I am waiting to find out about the signal (3g 4g and wifi) fix

Sean : I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Sean : I understand that you have a signal issue, Am I correct ?

Visitor: I do not have the phone yet. I would like to get one but I am waiting to see what is going to be done. Its all over the internet and most of the reviews of the phone say there is a problem with the radio on the phone. Can you tell me if this is true

Sean : Thank you for confirming.

Visitor: Does your Nexus S 4G have poor signal quality too? | ZDNet

Sean : No, it is not true.

Visitor: Nexus S 4G Having Reception Issues?

Visitor: so there are no issues with the phone and its raido?

Sean : As of now we do not experience any issues with the radio on the phone.

Sean : However, I will post this issue to the concern department on your behalf.

Visitor: so if there is no issue its safe to say samsung is not working on any fix at this time?

Sean : I will be right with you.

Sean : I apologize for the inconvenience .

Sean : It appears that you have been away from your computer for an extended period of time or that your questions have already been answered. To assist another customer who has been waiting, I need to close our chat conversation. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any further queries, please contact us again through Live Chat.

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

I guess that was all he had to say.
    take it for what it is i guess.
    that was today at 1;30 pm est.
    05-27-2011 12:34 PM
    Sean : Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: What can you tell me about the signal issues people are having with the nexus s 4g? I would like to get one but I am waiting to find out about the signal (3g 4g and wifi) fix

Sean : I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Sean : I understand that you have a signal issue, Am I correct ?

Visitor: I do not have the phone yet. I would like to get one but I am waiting to see what is going to be done. Its all over the internet and most of the reviews of the phone say there is a problem with the radio on the phone. Can you tell me if this is true

Sean : Thank you for confirming.

Visitor: Does your Nexus S 4G have poor signal quality too? | ZDNet

Sean : No, it is not true.

Visitor: Nexus S 4G Having Reception Issues?

Visitor: so there are no issues with the phone and its raido?

Sean : As of now we do not experience any issues with the radio on the phone.

Sean : However, I will post this issue to the concern department on your behalf.

Visitor: so if there is no issue its safe to say samsung is not working on any fix at this time?

Sean : I will be right with you.

Sean : I apologize for the inconvenience .

Sean : It appears that you have been away from your computer for an extended period of time or that your questions have already been answered. To assist another customer who has been waiting, I need to close our chat conversation. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any further queries, please contact us again through Live Chat.

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

I guess that was all he had to say.
    take it for what it is i guess.
    that was today at 1;30 pm est.
    It was posted a page or two back that Google is already testing a fix for this issue. some of the people at Samsung are aware of the issue and that a fix is is being worked on, but not everyone is. i have found the supervisors at Samsung are usually more up on things than the regular reps. Wish they would update all the regular reps....
    05-27-2011 12:48 PM
    After having Sprint for so long, I've personally learned to take what (any) CS reps say with a grain of salt.

Sent by a little green robot
    05-27-2011 12:55 PM
    It was posted a page or two back that Google is already testing a fix for this issue. some of the people at Samsung are aware of the issue and that a fix is is being worked on, but not everyone is. i have found the supervisors at Samsung are usually more up on things than the regular reps. Wish they would update all the regular reps....
    I did not know Google was testing a fix.. I read that Google was doing testing and investigating but I did not know they had a potential fix for the problem that they are now testing. Could you provide a link to your source ? That would be great!
    05-27-2011 01:05 PM
    I love Tapatalk too. If you go to Settings>About phone>Status, what does it say for your dBm under Signal Strength? And what PRL do you have?
    -101 dBm 0 ash
    Prl is P:01115

05-27-2011 01:30 PM
    I would be very interested in the following if anyone owns both an EVO 4G and a Nexus S 4G.

Compare the devices side by side both running the "Network Signal Info" app available in the market. This app will show you a nice graph of your signal strength over time for both EVDO and WiFi.

Alternatively, compare the devices side by side using the "Real Signal" app available in the market to just compare CDMA and EVDO signals.

Both of these will show the actual dBm and use the same number of bars to represent signal. If the Nexus S truly has an issue, it would be very evident using this type of comparison. If possible, a video of this would be great so others can actually see the issue.
    05-27-2011 01:43 PM
    After having Sprint for so long, I've personally learned to take what (any) CS reps say with a grain of salt.

Sent by a little green robot
    LOL....'fraid that is true with me too...less it is a rep I have found to be reliable...not many of those
    05-27-2011 01:43 PM
    I did not know Google was testing a fix.. I read that Google was doing testing and investigating but I did not know they had a potential fix for the problem that they are now testing. Could you provide a link to your source ? That would be great!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...tml#post947827

Post #277. The users there mentioned getting an email from Google about it. I have heard same from a couple of the Android developers working at Google via phone chat. No ETA on the fix tho.
    05-27-2011 01:51 PM
    I would be very interested in the following if anyone owns both an EVO 4G and a Nexus S 4G.

Compare the devices side by side both running the "Network Signal Info" app available in the market. This app will show you a nice graph of your signal strength over time for both EVDO and WiFi.

Alternatively, compare the devices side by side using the "Real Signal" app available in the market to just compare CDMA and EVDO signals.

Both of these will show the actual dBm and use the same number of bars to represent signal. If the Nexus S truly has an issue, it would be very evident using this type of comparison. If possible, a video of this would be great so others can actually see the issue.
    I have done this on 3g a few times at work with both an EVO and a Epic. Most tests my nexus is about half the speed there phones are (ping, down and up). This has been done many many times in the google forum if you would like to check it out its mostly on the first 2 pages
    Nexus S 4g Signal issues - Google Mobile Help
    05-27-2011 01:55 PM
    I have done this on 3g a few times at work with both an EVO and a Epic. Most tests my nexus is about half the speed there phones are (ping, down and up). This has been done many many times in the google forum if you would like to check it out its mostly on the first 2 pages
    Nexus S 4g Signal issues - Google Mobile Help
    I'll check out the Google forum for sure... but it sounds like you were comparing speed tests. What I am interested in is an actual signal comparison in dBm using the same app (Such as Network Signal Info) on the Nexus S as well as a different device such as the EVO 4G.
    05-27-2011 02:02 PM
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...tml#post947827

Post #277. The users there mentioned getting an email from Google about it. I have heard same from a couple of the Android developers working at Google via phone chat. No ETA on the fix tho.
    "I have already been on the phone with both Sprint and Samsung. They have been aware of the issue for a couple of days. Google also emailed me that testing is going on. So please stop posting the same stuff everyday saying they aren't acknowledging it. They are aware, but not every single person in that company is going to know yet. So enough be patient or return the phone. Simple as that"
    I guess I did not interpret that to be “testing a fix”. I understood it to be they are doing some testing, like looking into it to see if there is a problem. I hope you are correct. This was the last thing I read form anyone at Google.

Hey all,

Thanks for posting all this useful information folks. We are still investigating and doing some side-by-side tests of our own so stay tuned. No need to continue posting your coordinates and speed stats. Thanks for your continued patience.

-Ry Guy
    05-27-2011 02:07 PM
    I'll check out the Google forum for sure... but it sounds like you were comparing speed tests. What I am interested in is an actual signal comparison in dBm using the same app (Such as Network Signal Info) on the Nexus S as well as a different device such as the EVO 4G.
    Ok I can try it for you tomorow. Should be able to do it on a few different phones too. Alot of people I work with have sprint.
    05-27-2011 02:12 PM
    Ok I can try it for you tomorow. Should be able to do it on a few different phones too. Alot of people I work with have sprint.
    Thanks, I would appreciate it. Again, I would recommended comparing the devices using either "Network Signal Info" or "Real Signal" both available in the Android Market.

"Network Signal Info" is probably the best one to use as it will compare the raw dBm values of both your Sprint 3G connection as well as your WiFi signal strength. If there really is a signal issue affecting the Nexus, it should be very obvious using this type of comparison.
    05-27-2011 02:23 PM
    -101 dBm 0 ash
    Prl is P:01115

I have the same PRL. I have -76 dBm 0 asu. I am in Baltimore MD, in a house.

Wonder what the difference is....

Anyways, using Ookla's Speedtest.net app, my current speeds are:

Indoor Outdoor
    4G 2560 kbps down 985 kbps up 2516 kbps down 987 kbps up
    140 ms ping 140 ms ping
    3G 1047 kbps down 246 kbps up 1306 kbps down 269 kbps up
    204 ms ping 206 ms ping
    WiFi 8702 kbps down 3534 kbps up 395 kbps down 719 kbps up
    22 ms ping 115 ms ping

My signal strength did not change from above. I am using a Netgear N600 Gigabit dual band wireless router. I have NO airave in the house. The nearest tower is about 2.5 miles from me.

Do these test results help anyone?
    05-27-2011 02:25 PM
    im gonna lay low for awhile on the issue. ive got till the 11th to return my phone if i have too. i know i used to troll alot on xda but im pretty passionate about things i want done. until we see an official tweet or something from sprint or samsung i won't believe they have even looked into this. i appreciate the mods & gbhil coming in here and defending some of us. it's a great phone and i never bashed it. i want this addressed just like most of you do. i only made that video to give the users an insight as to what many believe is the problem.
    05-27-2011 02:32 PM
    Is it normal for the 4G radio to disconnect/reconnect every time a Wi-Fi connection is connected/disconnected? That's what mine does...

On my Evo the 4G connection just flaps back and forth from connected to disconnected if it is connected to Wi-Fi.
    05-27-2011 02:36 PM
    Is it normal for the 4G radio to disconnect/reconnect every time a Wi-Fi connection is connected/disconnected? That's what mine does...

On my Evo the 4G connection just flaps back and forth from connected to disconnected if it is connected to Wi-Fi.
    It seems to be normal. My EVO used to do that, and my NS4G does too.
    05-27-2011 02:37 PM
534 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD