07-04-2013 01:44 AM
534 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    Again, its not a hardware or a software issue! If it was, everyone would be having problems, not only a small amount! It is based on your area. If you are in an area that doesnt get the best 3G or 4G coverage, you are going to experience problems. Those of us in good coverage areas arent seeing the same problems, our phones work just fine. This is why they have said they cant recreate the problem. They need to go to a problem area. No, the Nexus S on Tmobile has a GSM radio, we have CDMA, completely different.
    @FocusFreak - You seem very adamant that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the phone itself, yet when several people have compared an EVO 4G right next to the Nexus 4G in the same area...on the same network...they get 2 completely different experiences. The EVO seems to retain 4G connections, while the Nexus sees the connection going in/out.

How do you explain that if there is nothing wrong with the Nexus?
    06-13-2011 06:20 PM
    @FocusFreak - You seem very adamant that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the phone itself, yet when several people have compared an EVO 4G right next to the Nexus 4G in the same area...on the same network...they get 2 completely different experiences. The EVO seems to retain 4G connections, while the Nexus sees the connection going in/out.

How do you explain that if there is nothing wrong with the Nexus?
    Why do we continue to waste so much bandwidth on this back and forth... the ones that have problems know there is a problem, the ones that don't believe there is won't agree.

The important thing is that the powers at be are already working on a fix for this issue. I will patiently wait for it to push and enjoy my NS once it happens.
    06-13-2011 07:13 PM
    Again, its not a hardware or a software issue! If it was, everyone would be having problems, not only a small amount! It is based on your area. If you are in an area that doesnt get the best 3G or 4G coverage, you are going to experience problems. Those of us in good coverage areas arent seeing the same problems, our phones work just fine. This is why they have said they cant recreate the problem. They need to go to a problem area. No, the Nexus S on Tmobile has a GSM radio, we have CDMA, completely different.

FALSE I'm in NYC and we have the best coverage possible and I'm having the same problems. My EVO has great reception as does my wife's XPRT... but the Nexus S has 1 to 0 bars and drops all the time. Even with a wired headset and phone flat on the table it drops.
    06-13-2011 08:18 PM
    To follow up on my previous post:

Miraculously, I received my Airave yesterday. I set it up and almost immediately went from one bar to four consistently. The 3G works like a charm, too. However, when I walk out of my home office and to the kitchen -- a distance of about 30' -- the signal drops to two bars and 3G starts to sputter. I'm not an engineer, but to me this implies a problem with the radio's reception, whether a poor radio or a poor software implementation.

4G, on the other hand, is largely a waste, since it won't (or can't) maintain a signal connection. I can sit in a place with strong 4G coverage, a full indicator, and it will occasionally drop the connection, interrupting downloads, logging me out of Talk, and so on. The only time I turn 4G on is to experiment; it's so unreliable as to be useless.
    06-14-2011 11:59 AM
    I was in the mountains this morning, no signal until I turned on my signal to automatic. I had previously had it to home only but now I know that is not necessary. I then got a single white bar and was able to make a call just fine. I don't think it matters if you have 1 bar or 4 bars you will still be able to make a call if you have any bars. I was really pleased.
    06-14-2011 02:13 PM
    Talked to a rep at the Totowa store in NJ (corporate) the latest they heard was the internal fixes so far do not work and most likely we are stuck with phones with a weak radio and that the 3G and 4G speeds are within advertised ranges

ZDNET is chiming in as well: Does your Nexus S 4G have poor signal quality too? | ZDNet
    06-14-2011 07:58 PM
    Talked to a rep at the Totowa store in NJ (corporate) the latest they heard was the internal fixes so far do not work and most likely we are stuck with phones with a weak radio and that the 3G and 4G speeds are within advertised ranges

ZDNET is chiming in as well: Does your Nexus S 4G have poor signal quality too? | ZDNet
    That makes me a sad panda. I will have to say I would be somewhat upset...
    06-14-2011 11:31 PM

None of the reps in the corporate store near me can confirm that. As far as they can tell me, the testing still goes on. Apparently all the GB phones (preinstalled or updated), regardless of model or carrier, are having connection issues as well (at least the ones on Verizon and AT&T are according to techs at their stores).

The techs at my stores tell me the EVO 3D has the battery and reboot problems mentioned elsewhere on the forum in addition to the connectivity ones. They haven't been completely fixed yet either, and may also be software related to GB.

For all these phones to have the similar issues yet different hardware, it seems like software issues to me.

Android 2.4 is being tested by Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon, and maybe it fixes some of these issues? Gbhill, or anyone else, have you heard anything more about this on your end?
    06-15-2011 07:50 AM
    I really hope that 2.4 rolls out sooner rather than later....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    06-15-2011 01:37 PM
    People mentioned updates and fixes in 2-3 weeks. It's now over a month and still nothing...I'm wondering if I shouldn't return this phone before its too late.
    06-19-2011 11:42 PM
    Out of curiosity, what is your wifi sleep policy set to? (it is under advanced in your wifi settings)
    Thanks that alone saved me a headache, Was always tired of the Wifi "turning off" when the screen went off and never thought to hit the menu button while on that screen. Haha. Thanks again man.
    06-22-2011 02:59 AM
    Well, I've decided to hang on to mine.

I still suspect that there is a software issue based on some of the comments from EVO users who have upgraded to GB. But my primary concern is coverage.
    Sitting in my house I compared my phone to my daughters Samsung Transform and signal strengths were identical hovering around -89.

I live about 10 miles north of Detroit but I was down at comerica park in Detroit last Saturday and noticed I had a good signal. Sometimes a full 4 bars!

So until my coverage improves I can do little to speculate about software/hardware issues.
    Sprint has offered to send me an Airave, I think I'll take them up on the offer.

Until then I'll still enjoy my Nexus.
    06-22-2011 08:03 AM
    Sprint has offered to send me an Airave, I think I'll take them up on the offer.
    Take them up on it. It made all the difference in the world for the phone's usability in my house. In fact, I'm feeling the pain right now as I am travelling and my temporary apartment -- lacking an Airave, obviously -- misses calls constantly. (My roommate's Evo doesn't drop a bit,either, so it's clearly the Nexus.)
    06-22-2011 11:22 AM
    Thanks that alone saved me a headache, Was always tired of the Wifi "turning off" when the screen went off and never thought to hit the menu button while on that screen. Haha. Thanks again man.

Wow, I didn't realize that option was there either. I thought my wireless radio was crap so I just left it off. You guys are awesome.
    06-22-2011 02:52 PM
    I ran some speedtests vs my Droid x and noticed the ns4g outperforming it with only 1 to 2 bars of service. 4g was actually slower to load some webpages and faster on some with 1 4g bar.

In terms of wifi all my devices, Droid x, ipad, macbooks, Xbox display full wifi bars while the ns4g has just 1. Performence is about the same.

There's something fishy with these antenna issues...here's to hoping its some stupid software glitch.
    06-22-2011 06:38 PM
    It would be nice for some sort of update, just to make us think their working on it.
    pprichar likes this.
    06-22-2011 07:54 PM
    It would be nice for some sort of update, just to make us think their working on it.
    Ha I know..anything would help wight about now..

But that is why Friday I am picking up the EVO 3D to see how that radio works out.
    At my job my Nexus dies in a few hours because it is constantly searching for signal. If the EVO3D ends up having issues, then I will have to pick up a used EVO4G for the time being until sprint gets this nonsense figured out
    06-22-2011 10:39 PM
    The supposed signal issues that have been reported on the Nexus S 4G phone are rare. Some (not all) of these issues may even be purely cosmetic. In Portland, Oregon my Nexus S 4G consistently has full bars on Sprint's 4G WiMAX service. The Nexus S 4G also consistently has faster download and upload speeds than the iPhone 4 on Verizon. I had a Samsung Captivate on AT&T and frankly was very worried about Google using Samsung for their next Nexus phone. Anyone who's ever used a Samsung Captivate would know that Samsung obviously does not have any skilled software developers at their company. I was expecting the Nexus S to have issues like the Captivate's random power off issue. Much to my surprise, The Nexus S 4G is the most stable phone in existence.
    06-23-2011 02:26 AM
    The more and more I want to like this phone I keep doing research and finding crap! So there is a WiMax tower literally a stone's throw from where I live and I can't pull down one bar most of the time on the 4G connection even outside. Does anyone know if you can easily port out of Sprint within 30 days without losing your number and getting an ETF? I understand you get 30 days of satisfaction but can you just port out and return the phone?

As for the 3G singal it went from blazing fast last night 1.5-2mbps last night to .5-.7 today with the same 1-2 bars of service. Grrrr I don't want to use more Verizon bloated phones!
    06-23-2011 07:59 AM
    I also think its funny that they are sending out airaves for this issue, I have had an airave before I bought the nexus and it still does it. Not as bad, but it does.
    06-23-2011 11:46 AM
    I'm glad I didn't listen to all the negative postings & went ahead & paid full price for this phone!! This thing has no signal issues whatsoever either on wifi or 3g. It walks all over my EVO!! I drive a truck for a living & I'm all over the place & know where i get good & bad service on my EVO. With my nexus, I've used it everywhere I've used my EVO & have never had one problem. So apparently it's not EVERY nexus that has problems.
    06-23-2011 12:54 PM
    I'm glad I didn't listen to all the negative postings & went ahead & paid full price for this phone!! This thing has no signal issues whatsoever either on wifi or 3g. It walks all over my EVO!! I drive a truck for a living & I'm all over the place & know where i get good & bad service on my EVO. With my nexus, I've used it everywhere I've used my EVO & have never had one problem. So apparently it's not EVERY nexus that has problems.
    I can say for sure there is something wrong. my entire town is in the "Best" area of coverage but constantly goes between 1 and 3 bars (Arlington, MA) and only 0 to 1 bars of 4G even though the 4G tower is literarily less than a baseball diamond from me. I travel 6 miles to work in Newton, MA and I get amazing 4 bars of 3G and 3 bars of 4G and it flies. I'm even further worried if coverage is like this in Biddeford, ME then I'll be stuck in a craptasic contract with little to no coverage on a device that barely works!

I know I should just bring it back if I don't like it but I just got it like 3 days ago and had such high hopes considering the proximity to the 4G tower and coverage maps. It feels like a combination between tower problems and device problems.
    06-23-2011 03:57 PM
    just throwing this out there, but what if they have the fix and are holding out for the E3D to get people to buy that instead? Just food for thought.
    06-23-2011 04:06 PM
    just throwing this out there, but what if they have the fix and are holding out for the E3D to get people to buy that instead? Just food for thought.
    Ugh, doubt it but I also didn't think I would get 2 bars in a "best" zone!
    06-23-2011 04:41 PM
    I am certain it isn't merely cosmetic, as when I went into downtown DC last night I was maxed out on signal strength everywhere, but when I returned to my temporary apartment, it flat out dropped to nothing. My roommate's Evo kept her signal strength in both locations.

That's right, an Evo has fewer signal problems. Go figure.
    pprichar likes this.
    06-24-2011 06:11 AM
534 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD