07-04-2013 01:44 AM
534 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I just did a speed test with my Nexus and my brothers iPhone 4 side by side on WiFi...
    His iPhone pulled down around 11mbps while I couldn't break 5mbps. There is a definite problem here and it isn't "cosmetic" changes that need to be made to the signal strength icon.
    06-24-2011 10:15 AM
    I just did a speed test with my Nexus and my brothers iPhone 4 side by side on WiFi...
    His iPhone pulled down around 11mbps while I couldn't break 5mbps. There is a definite problem here and it isn't "cosmetic" changes that need to be made to the signal strength icon.
    did you use speedtest.net app? because I seriously think that program is flawed. It get 2x with using speakeasy.net and the speakeasy.net test matches my computer speeds and my iphone speeds. but speedtest.net doesn't.

Speedtest.net fail
    06-24-2011 01:57 PM
    Try again using xtremelabs app.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    06-24-2011 02:14 PM
    As you know, the EVO had big problems in the beginning too until they sent out a fix. Only time will tell....
    06-24-2011 02:37 PM
    Of course I would like the radios issue to be fixed sooner than later. But I cannot do as others have suggested and switch to another phone. Even with the radios issue I like this phone better than any other phone on Sprint and on any other carrier period. I will not be exchanging.
    06-24-2011 08:57 PM
    Well I'm waiting on a Sprint call back to return the phone. The reception while in the "best" area on their coverage map was just passable imo. Couple in that the phone decided to drop to 1X last night and when plugged into my laptop renders the screen unusable made me force my decision. I have to say though everyone up to this point at Sprint has been super nice and profesional. If they get the Nexus S fixed soon I might return!

Until then I might look at the Thunderbolt or Droid Charge
    06-24-2011 09:31 PM
    Well I'm waiting on a Sprint call back to return the phone. The reception while in the "best" area on their coverage map was just passable imo. Couple in that the phone decided to drop to 1X last night and when plugged into my laptop renders the screen unusable made me force my decision. I have to say though everyone up to this point at Sprint has been super nice and profesional. If they get the Nexus S fixed soon I might return!

Until then I might look at the Thunderbolt or Droid Charge
    Well i got tired of hearing nothing from Sprint on this MAJOR issue.. soo.. I went ahead and solved the issue on my own...

The Answer.....? 4G LTE via Droid Charge from Verizon..!

Needless to say I am more than happy with my decision! More than triple the speed of Sprint's WiMax network and more 4G coverage.

(I'll also be grandfathered in with Unlimited Data before VZ goes to tiered plans)

The proof is in the pudding..
    06-24-2011 10:03 PM
    Well i got tired of hearing nothing from Sprint on this MAJOR issue.. soo.. I went ahead and solved the issue on my own...

The Answer.....? 4G LTE via Droid Charge from Verizon..!

Needless to say I am more than happy with my decision! More than triple the speed of Sprint's WiMax network and more 4G coverage.

(I'll also be grandfathered in with Unlimited Data before VZ goes to tiered plans)

The proof is in the pudding..
    God I hope they make CM7 though cause TouchWiz makes baby Jesus cry...i'm thinking this might be my best option
    06-24-2011 10:56 PM
    Try again using xtremelabs app.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I did the speedtest.net one. Ill try it again with the xtremelabs one
    06-25-2011 10:01 AM
    Yeah the speedtest app is junk.
    06-25-2011 04:03 PM
    Well they were both the same app if its junk wouldn't it be consistant junk on both phones? A difference of double the speed consistently can't be a bad app.
    yibrushn likes this.
    06-26-2011 04:29 PM
    I get double speeds going through the browser versus the app.

Also, when on wifi, the browser tests results match what I get on PC's on the same wifi network.
    06-26-2011 05:09 PM
    Yeah the speedtest app is junk.
    Not exactly, what I recall reading is that Speedtest.net app is just not reliable in Gingerbread do to changes in GB itself.
    06-26-2011 11:57 PM
    Not exactly, what I recall reading is that Speedtest.net app is just not reliable in Gingerbread do to changes in GB itself.
    The speedtest.net app is not the ideal tool for this particular instance.

is that better?

regardless, whoever's fault, speedtest or GB, it is, it seems that this app has been the cause of a lot of the negative buzz in the community surrounding the NS4G. not to say that there aren't valid reception issues (of which i've personally experienced none) but for all intents and purposes i'll go ahead and stick with my junk label.
    06-27-2011 12:25 AM
    It still boggles my mind that people believe there isn't reception issues just because their phone doesn't have any. 49 page post on sprint's forums about signal strength, not speed issues says otherwise. There are a lot of people that don't have any issues but there are quite a few that do.
    06-27-2011 06:18 AM
    It still boggles my mind that people believe there isn't reception issues just because their phone doesn't have any. 49 page post on sprint's forums about signal strength, not speed issues says otherwise. There are a lot of people that don't have any issues but there are quite a few that do.
    im not saying there arent reception issues but i also know that the public is very quick to jump on the sky is falling bandwagon.
    06-27-2011 09:42 AM
    The speedtest.net app is not the ideal tool for this particular instance.

is that better?
    Yeah better, it just doesn't provide accurate speed results on GB and the Nexus S in particular.

This is an unfair statement if directed at chud; he did not say reception problem are not real. If you actually read his post he said, and I quote:

"...it seems that this app has been the cause of a lot of the negative buzz in the community surrounding the NS4G. not to say that there aren't valid reception issues (of which i've personally experienced none)..." - emphasis mine.
    06-27-2011 10:59 AM
    I stand corrected, late night early morning and reception issues are getting to me! Gonna swing by the sprint store after work to see if the evo3d has similar issues.
    06-27-2011 11:26 AM
    I did a side by side YouTube "speed test "with the evo3d and nexus s both on 3g connection and the evo3d was way faster. I tried it with several different videos and the evo won every time by a large margin both in compete download and video start. This was with booth my nexus and the one on display at the store. That said I still like my nexus better than the 3d. Just wish someone would fix the issue.
    06-27-2011 12:09 PM
    I did a side by side YouTube "speed test "with the evo3d and nexus s both on 3g connection and the evo3d was way faster. I tried it with several different videos and the evo won every time by a large margin both in compete download and video start. This was with booth my nexus and the one on display at the store. That said I still like my nexus better than the 3d. Just wish someone would fix the issue.
    But is the Evo 3d more "future proof" with it's duel core and other specs? I only get a phone every 2 years, I currently have the Nexus s with no problems (and like it!) but I'm leaning towards EVO 3d due to the high specs.
    06-27-2011 01:51 PM
    But is the Evo 3d more "future proof" with it's duel core and other specs? I only get a phone every 2 years, I currently have the Nexus s with no problems (and like it!) but I'm leaning towards EVO 3d due to the high specs.
    How can one guarantee that any device is future proof? Something could drop tomorrow that instantly obsoletes every bit of cell phone tech up until this point. Paper specs mean little to nothing in real world use. Are you really going to max out or stress a dual core PHONE? How much multi tasking are you going to be honestly doing day in and day out? Can you even stress a Hummingbird? And I'm not talking about sitting on the couch showing off to your friends what your phone can do.

What can an EVO3D do that your Nexus S can't? What can your Nexus S do that an EVO3D can't?

The only devices that are even close to being "future proof" right now are the Nexus line because of the speed and frequency of updates that come down the line directly from Google as opposed to Motorola, Samsung, etc.
    06-27-2011 02:05 PM
    by next year quad core SoCs will be out. but the question is do you want to be 2 cores behind or 3 cores behind? also ice cream sandwich is supposed to be multicore optimized so the EVO 3D will benifit more
    06-27-2011 02:34 PM
    Once again, what real world benefit does nineteen cores offer? As far as optimization goes, I refer back to my point about updates. How long will it take to get the updates that will be beneficial to a X core?

And really, the Samsung GS2 will crap all over the EVO3D, on paper, so why is anyone even looking at the 3D these days?
    06-27-2011 02:39 PM
    htc has been great with updates for the EVO 4G I don't see any reason to expect the EVO 3D to suddenly get fewer updates. in fact there is 1gig of ROM space reserved for updates. I refuse to get phones that are loaded with Samsung software. Don't get me wrong my wife has a Nexus s 4G and loves it. but for a geek to be stuck with it for 2 years is a bit tough to take
    06-27-2011 02:51 PM
    edit: nevermind
    06-27-2011 03:06 PM
534 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD