Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

rinsf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Nexus today, and it already has build GRJ22, which I understand is the latest update.

I am sitting in my office in downtown San Francisco, where last week I was running my entire office network (we had just moved and had DSL problems) off of a Clearwire WiMax Hotspot. The signal was excellent and constant, and we consistently got speeds of 6Mb or more.

I have my Nexus in the same location. It will intermittently get 4G, but only what appears to be a weak signal (at most 10% of the time), and then the signal will go away. Presumably this is the same Wimax signal as with the Clearwire modem.

I figure OK, the 4G doesn't work, so I'll use wifi. In the very same place where I receive a strong and constant wifi signal on my laptop, and a strong and constant signal with a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V, the Nexus is incapable of using the same wifi signal.

Even though I don't need wifi tethering, it's enabled by default on the phone so I figure I'll try it out. As soon as the wifi tethering is turned on, the phone stops receiving cellular data. Not only is there no tether to the internet, but no apps on the phone that need to access the internet can do so until the wifi tether is turned off.

I'll skip the usual commentary - other than to say this phone seems to have some serious problems.

darealm

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree, and this has been widely reported in the forums. I'm taking back my phone to the place where I bought it to try to get a replacement and hoping that a new device will fix the problem. But I have my doubts...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

SFWD1934

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Yea mine seems to be odd acting as well. Not only that it takes forever to even get the signal so I can start using my wifi.

My EVO is always ready to go as soon as I unlock the screen.

May just take it back and wait and see. I also have the latest build.

Jason

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea mine seems to be odd acting as well. Not only that it takes forever to even get the signal so I can start using my wifi.

My EVO is always ready to go as soon as I unlock the screen.

May just take it back and wait and see. I also have the latest build.

Jason

Out of curiosity, what is your wifi sleep policy set to? (it is under advanced in your wifi settings)

Reactions: jer3my and Mpaige

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the WiFi radio is pretty terrible compared to my evo, its very very low compared to my evo always being very high when im the same area of distance to the router. I sure hope there will be a fix for this..

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
It is absolutely terrible. My phone is less than two feet from my router and it dropped the connection twice in less than 5 minutes.

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
i will note this though, when i had first purchased my Evo 4G, the radio issues were exactly alike to the Nexus S 4G issues...over time and OTA's they have perfected the the Evo Radios so maybe we can all have some hope towards the Nexus S 4G device or is this unlikely since its strictly a stock Google phone?

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
i will note this though, when i had first purchased my Evo 4G, the radio issues were exactly alike to the Nexus S 4G issues...over time and OTA's they have perfected the the Evo Radios so maybe we can all have some hope towards the Nexus S 4G device or is this unlikely since its strictly a stock Google phone?

I agree. I had the EVO since launch and went through the poor signal issues. With an OTA update it seemed to fix it, along with time. I would assume if enough people complain and have issues there should be a solution soon like the EVO.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree more, I have my Nexus S 4G sitting next to my iPhone 4 and the WiFi strength on the iPhone is at 100%, while the NS shows nothing. This is absolutely terrible!!! Glad I didn't port yet..

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the phone sitting on top of my router, and it can't even connect to it...Slowly wanting to return the phone..

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I figure I might as well chime in and say my wifi, wimax and cdma radios all work fine. It might even be slighty better than the wifi on my DX.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Everything seems to be working exactly the same for me as the epic did if not better. I feel like they are less signals but they also have less bars.

Nothing works any worse for me.

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Run a speed test, the results I received from my evo to my ns4g is absolutely embarassing for the NS4G..

Using the speedtest app from the market on both devices from SPEEDTEST.NET

Evo:
Ping = 39ms
Download: 10,684kbps
Upload: 5160kbps

Nexus S 4g:
Ping = 45ms
Download: 6380kbps
Upload: 4431kbps

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get the phone? The one I got from best buy wasn't full set up for me. I had to do it myself.

After i did prl and profile updates they said congratulations your phone is now active. Waited like 20 minutes and battery pulled.

When it came back on I did it again and it just said my prl or profile was updated this time. Seemed to be working better on 3g too.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Using the speedtest app from the market on both devices from SPEEDTEST.NET

Nexus S 4g:
Ping = 24ms
Download: 8.17mbps
Upload: 3.84 mbps

That's with my signal bar showing two bars. So it seems like mine is all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance