07-04-2013 01:44 AM
534 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Its crashing issues that is reported to still be having won't. I witnessed it first hand at CTIA and member slag posted photos from an event last week, and mentioned it still had those issues. Personally people are overeacting and expecting the sky to fall over this. They know about it, be patient or get a different phone. The Evo 3D will release with issues, the original Evo was plagued with them for months after release. So I don't expect any different from this, all devices have hiccups in the beginning. We rarely ever see a press release or official confirmation on fixes for any devices. They just aknowledge it, and work on a fix. Stop flooding this forum with this... I see similar things at XDA.
    and? we payed alot of money for these devices and we want a fix.
    05-24-2011 08:44 PM
    Personally I like the "flood". I would have bought the NS4G last week, but I'm waiting on Google/Sprint now thanks to the forums. "Knowledge Is Power" Ignorance ain't bliss.
    05-24-2011 09:17 PM
    Personally I like the "flood". I would have bought the NS4G last week, but I'm waiting on Google/Sprint now thanks to the forums. "Knowledge Is Power" Ignorance ain't bliss.
    The flood in this forum will not get far. Post in the official topic on Googles forum. It has also had news articles from many big sites. Leave it be.. They are working on it.
    05-24-2011 09:19 PM
    The flood in this forum will not get far. Post in the official topic on Googles forum. It has also had news articles from many big sites. Leave it be.. They are working on it.
    I've been a crash test dummy with the Pre- for 23 months, believe me "THEY' read the forums! People like myself who are on the fence might not agree with your logic. Maybe a Moderator could comment on this because I believe one of us is OT. I believe "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease" is still a valid premise and may help more than it hurts. One thing "THEY" hate is bad PR so the way I see it "more is better"
    05-24-2011 09:40 PM
    I can say with 100% confidence that Google employees contribute to this forum. Take it for what it is.
    05-24-2011 09:46 PM
    I have to say, I've had mine since Friday and played a lot with it. I don't know if some of these reception issues are location based or just with some phones but for both voice and data I have experienced very comparable coverage and performance of my EVO. Battery life for me far exceeds my EVO even when running custom kernels on the EVO. My wifi coverage at my home seems no different when using my NS4G.

Given all the reports, I don't doubt there are some issues, I was a little leery getting one now and not waiting for some updates but I have to say, for me, I was pleasantly surprised with the reception I do get. I even am sometimes in locations that were marginal for my EVO and I see no worse on the Nexus.

I will say that even though I have 4g in my area, I have yet to even turn on 4g (hardly used it on my EVO anyway), so I only use 3g and wifi for data. Also only been using it for 5 days, so take it for what it's worth.
    05-24-2011 09:51 PM
    Nexus S 4g Signal issues - Google Mobile Help

A Google employee has acknowledged the issue there. So I suggest everyone posting in there, that would be the best bet.
    05-25-2011 01:46 AM
    I can say with 100% confidence that Google employees contribute to this forum. Take it for what it is.
    i sure hope they are listening to us.

for any nay sayers go here and look for yourself: Sprint Community: Signal Issues with Nexus S

people think i hate the phone, not true at all, i actually like it more than the evo, just want the issues fixed or acknowledged. being silent won't get us anywhere, look at the evo3d users and the revolt.
    05-25-2011 05:42 AM
    Are you having signal issues on your Nexus S 4G?
    No 18.04% (441 votes)

Yes. Cell data (3G and 4G) is a bit funky 15.02% (367 votes)

Yes. I have Wifi issues 2.58% (63 votes)

Yes. I have both Wifi and cell radio issues 18.49% (452 votes)

I don't have a Nexus S 4G. Please Verizon? 45.87% (1,121 votes)

Total Votes: 2,444

According to the AC poll this morning ^ ^ ^.......

No signal issue=441

Has signal issue=882

For every person with no issue there are two people with an issue. I'm happy for the people without issues but for the others (owners and perspective owners) I see posting any where you want as a valid response as long as you follow forum guidelines.

Sprint/Google Please hurry up I want some NS4G awesomeness!
    05-25-2011 11:07 AM
    I like the flood of info too. I was going to buy this phone last week based on the specs but I'm going to wait to see if they fix these issues now. I can handle a lot of the bells and whistles needing some fine tuning but not reception. That is a deal breaker for me. Since more phones are coming out for Sprint this summer, if issues continue I'll just go with a different phone. It's been hard to sit this out because I really love the phone but glad I didn't rush into the purchase yet.
    05-25-2011 12:03 PM
    I like the flood of info too. I was going to buy this phone last week based on the specs but I'm going to wait to see if they fix these issues now. I can handle a lot of the bells and whistles needing some fine tuning but not reception. That is a deal breaker for me. Since more phones are coming out for Sprint this summer, if issues continue I'll just go with a different phone. It's been hard to sit this out because I really love the phone but glad I didn't rush into the purchase yet.
    Again, not everyone is having these issues. If you are in a good 3G/4G area, you wont be effected. I get 2-3 bars reception 95% of the time an my phone works just fine. I have been in a few places where I dropped to 1X but my phone still worked alright. What cell phone gets great reception anywhere you go anyways?
    05-25-2011 12:18 PM
    I'm maybe a mile from a sprint tower and I'm getting 1 to 2 bars... do you consider a mile a good signal distance?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    05-25-2011 12:24 PM
    If you are in a good 3G/4G area, you wont be affected.
    I think there have been enough posts contradicting that statement. My own situation included.
    05-25-2011 12:24 PM
    I'm maybe a mile from a sprint tower and I'm getting 1 to 2 bars... do you consider a mile a good signal distance?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Can you tell me the difference between 1 and 2 bars of signal compared two 3 and 4? Both still work correct? I'm pretty sure that one or two bar difference is not going to effect your use on the phone. Calls will still come in and so will text messages. I don't under the whole bars issue. My real question is how many people are dropping calls? Number wise. I have only dropped one.

"At least here in the US, it's pounded into our heads early on that bars = signal level = fewer problems overall. And it's kind of true. Generally speaking, the number of bars being displayed on your cell phone gives a general idea of whether you have a good chance of making a call.

However, there are a number of variables that the phone takes into account when figuring out exactly how many bars to show you in the first place, and in fact, those variables can be (and often are) different among cell carriers, manufacturers, or even different devices from the same manufacturer. Put simply, the number of bars displayed on your phone does not necessarily equal signal level; rather, it would be more accurate to say that the bars are "correlated" with signal level."

Check out these articles for more information. They put it much better than I can.

Four bars? The disconnect between bars and cell signal

Cell Phone Reception Explained: What The Bars Mean - Tested

What Do Cell Phone Signal Bars Really, Really Mean?
    05-25-2011 02:00 PM
    I'll be 5 feet from my air-rave and get 1 bar. That's not good, eventhough I can still technically make calls, the quality is much worse at 1 or no bars than 4 bars. I should have excellent reception, and there's no reason not to save an antennae issue. It needs to be addressed
    05-25-2011 02:11 PM
    Has anyone done a survey or comparison of 'Time without a Signal' numbers when setting the phone to 'Home Only'. I'd really be curious to see if over time this reduces the percentages. If for some reason the phone is 'flapping' between Sprint CDMA signal and adjacent GSM/WCDMA signals this could account for the slow data speeds and in particular the long Ping times....just a thought.
    05-25-2011 03:32 PM
    Today I was in th sprint store looking at the phone and it had 1 to 2 bars when my optimus s was 4 to 5 bars.

That was enough not to buy it for me. Anyone know if the signal bar percent is just being reported different on this phone compared to others?

I should have checked the other phones nearby.
    05-25-2011 11:06 PM
    Today I was in th sprint store looking at the phone and it had 1 to 2 bars when my optimus s was 4 to 5 bars.

That was enough not to buy it for me. Anyone know if the signal bar percent is just being reported different on this phone compared to others?

I should have checked the other phones nearby.
    The NS4G has 4 bars max vs. 6 bars max for most other Sprint devices for 3G. That doesn't mean there is not a problem with reception. But if one phone has 4 out of 6 bars the NS4G will have 2-3 bars most likely as an example.
    05-26-2011 12:27 AM
    What a pity !
    05-26-2011 02:33 AM
    The NS4G has 4 bars max vs. 6 bars max for most other Sprint devices for 3G. That doesn't mean there is not a problem with reception. But if one phone has 4 out of 6 bars the NS4G will have 2-3 bars most likely as an example.
    I'm going to be doing a full video on 3 different devices, of how the best way to measure signal is. To try and not listen to what the bars say, as they are very inaccurate readings. I'm going to be testing the 3G radio and Wi-Fi radio. Stay tuned.. I will post the topic soon
    05-26-2011 01:18 PM
    To try and not listen to what the bars say, as they are very inaccurate readings.
    That is what I am saying, especially since the NS4G reports signal strength bars on a scale from 0-4 vs. 0-6 for most other devices it will almost always report less bars...which doesn't really mean much. The proof is in actual signal strength readings and performance.
    05-26-2011 01:27 PM
    That is what I am saying, especially since the NS4G reports signal strength bars on a scale from 0-4 vs. 0-6 for most other devices it will almost always report less bars...which doesn't really mean much. The proof is in actual signal strength readings and performance.
    I'm assuming -96 or -101 dBm are poor readings...? 'cause that's what I am typically getting. Even at 4 bars I usually don't see anything higher than (I believe) -65.
    05-26-2011 01:47 PM
    I'm assuming -96 or -101 dBm are poor readings...? 'cause that's what I am typically getting. Even at 4 bars I usually don't see anything higher than (I believe) -65.
    Yes that range is quite high and should be around 1-2 bars, 2 being at best. Do a similar reading with how Wi-Fi works. Use inSSIDer and you will see with Wi-Fi when getting up into the -90 dBm reading it will show about a bar. Again I will be making a full video of 3 devices testing these types of things, and will try and help make other users understand better. That the Nexus is giving a much more accurate reading then just about every other device. For me I always go by dBm reading, not the amount of bars. Cell radios work very similar to how Wi-Fi works. Range, and dBm are determined by the length between the antenna. With cell radios they just have higher gain antenna's and of course much higher transmit power, so that is why they can reach much further distances then say "Wi-Fi" can. Go stand close to a cell tower and that dBm reading will drop dramatically. If of course it's a Sprint tower, or on the roaming list.
    05-26-2011 02:10 PM
    Yes that range is quite high and should be around 1-2 bars, 2 being at best. Do a similar reading with how Wi-Fi works. Use inSSIDer and you will see with Wi-Fi when getting up into the -90 dBm reading it will show about a bar. Again I will be making a full video of 3 devices testing these types of things, and will try and help make other users understand better. That the Nexus is giving a much more accurate reading then just about every other device. For me I always go by dBm reading, not the amount of bars. Cell radios work very similar to how Wi-Fi works. Range, and dBm are determined by the length between the antenna.
    Well, as I stated in the other related thread, my wifi and 4G are my primary concerns. I definitely think the wifi is a REAL problem, something the in-store rep was able to reproduce and could not provide a solution for. 4G as well, since d/l speeds are drastically reduced from an EVO at the exact same location.
    05-26-2011 02:20 PM
    signal strength and d/l speeds seem to be two separate issues. i get the exact same d/l speeds whether i have 1 bar or full bars...
    05-26-2011 03:17 PM
534 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD