Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

dylan11

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi

Well they were both the same app if its junk wouldn't it be consistant junk on both phones? A difference of double the speed consistently can't be a bad app.

Reactions: yibrushn

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I get double speeds going through the browser versus the app.

Also, when on wifi, the browser tests results match what I get on PC's on the same wifi network.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Not exactly, what I recall reading is that Speedtest.net app is just not reliable in Gingerbread do to changes in GB itself.
The speedtest.net app is not the ideal tool for this particular instance.

is that better?

regardless, whoever's fault, speedtest or GB, it is, it seems that this app has been the cause of a lot of the negative buzz in the community surrounding the NS4G. not to say that there aren't valid reception issues (of which i've personally experienced none) but for all intents and purposes i'll go ahead and stick with my junk label.

pprichar

May 29, 2011
Visit site
It still boggles my mind that people believe there isn't reception issues just because their phone doesn't have any. 49 page post on sprint's forums about signal strength, not speed issues says otherwise. There are a lot of people that don't have any issues but there are quite a few that do.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

It still boggles my mind that people believe there isn't reception issues just because their phone doesn't have any. 49 page post on sprint's forums about signal strength, not speed issues says otherwise. There are a lot of people that don't have any issues but there are quite a few that do.
im not saying there arent reception issues but i also know that the public is very quick to jump on the sky is falling bandwagon.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

The speedtest.net app is not the ideal tool for this particular instance.

is that better?

Yeah better, it just doesn't provide accurate speed results on GB and the Nexus S in particular.

This is an unfair statement if directed at chud; he did not say reception problem are not real. If you actually read his post he said, and I quote:

"...it seems that this app has been the cause of a lot of the negative buzz in the community surrounding the NS4G. not to say that there aren't valid reception issues (of which i've personally experienced none)..." - emphasis mine.

pprichar

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected, late night early morning and reception issues are getting to me! Gonna swing by the sprint store after work to see if the evo3d has similar issues.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I did a side by side YouTube "speed test "with the evo3d and nexus s both on 3g connection and the evo3d was way faster. I tried it with several different videos and the evo won every time by a large margin both in compete download and video start. This was with booth my nexus and the one on display at the store. That said I still like my nexus better than the 3d. Just wish someone would fix the issue.

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I did a side by side YouTube "speed test "with the evo3d and nexus s both on 3g connection and the evo3d was way faster. I tried it with several different videos and the evo won every time by a large margin both in compete download and video start. This was with booth my nexus and the one on display at the store. That said I still like my nexus better than the 3d. Just wish someone would fix the issue.

But is the Evo 3d more "future proof" with it's duel core and other specs? I only get a phone every 2 years, I currently have the Nexus s with no problems (and like it!) but I'm leaning towards EVO 3d due to the high specs.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

But is the Evo 3d more "future proof" with it's duel core and other specs? I only get a phone every 2 years, I currently have the Nexus s with no problems (and like it!) but I'm leaning towards EVO 3d due to the high specs.

How can one guarantee that any device is future proof? Something could drop tomorrow that instantly obsoletes every bit of cell phone tech up until this point. Paper specs mean little to nothing in real world use. Are you really going to max out or stress a dual core PHONE? How much multi tasking are you going to be honestly doing day in and day out? Can you even stress a Hummingbird? And I'm not talking about sitting on the couch showing off to your friends what your phone can do.

What can an EVO3D do that your Nexus S can't? What can your Nexus S do that an EVO3D can't?

The only devices that are even close to being "future proof" right now are the Nexus line because of the speed and frequency of updates that come down the line directly from Google as opposed to Motorola, Samsung, etc.

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site

by next year quad core SoCs will be out. but the question is do you want to be 2 cores behind or 3 cores behind? also ice cream sandwich is supposed to be multicore optimized so the EVO 3D will benifit more

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Once again, what real world benefit does nineteen cores offer? As far as optimization goes, I refer back to my point about updates. How long will it take to get the updates that will be beneficial to a X core?

And really, the Samsung GS2 will crap all over the EVO3D, on paper, so why is anyone even looking at the 3D these days?

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site

htc has been great with updates for the EVO 4G I don't see any reason to expect the EVO 3D to suddenly get fewer updates. in fact there is 1gig of ROM space reserved for updates. I refuse to get phones that are loaded with Samsung software. Don't get me wrong my wife has a Nexus s 4G and loves it. but for a geek to be stuck with it for 2 years is a bit tough to take

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

So I did the test I've been meaning to do for a long time now. I know exactly where the CLEAR tower is located (about a mile from my house on a major intersection). The other day as I was at the gas station at this intersection, with the tower not 200 feet away and with a direct line of sight I turned on the 4G and let it sit for a few minutes while I filled up. When I checked it, I had one "bar" of signal and the speed test gave me a hair over 1 mbps download. Is it that perhaps this CLEAR tower is devoted to CLEAR internet subscription service or does it pull double-duty and also serve Sprint 4G data subscribers? I ask because I also get CLEAR internet off this exact same tower and regularly pull between 3 and 5 mbps download. So I figure it can be only a limited number of reasons:

1 - The tower service is fragmented and my phone would actually pull from a different tower further away from this particular CLEAR tower.

2 - My position was somehow too close...? Would I have received better service if I had been standing a little further out? I'm picturing the signal to be some array of 'cones', with areas of less strong signal strength between these cones and maybe being almost directly below the tower was one of these 'dead zones'.

3 - The 4G radio on the phone is crippled either by a physical defect or a software bug.

The fact is that my CLEAR home modem works fine a mile from the tower and the phone, literally held two inches away from the modem (which is getting a full 4 to 5 bars of signal), is getting zero 4G service.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I am of the school that thinks the phone industry is really loosing it...

I do not understand why a PHONE needs to have a dual core (or God forbids, a quad core) processor to functions as a phone. Phone apps are rather simple and don't have computing demands that require such extreme power. IMHO phone makers should concentrate on refining the current hardware and software so that is less buggy and can provide a better user experience as a communication device.

I can appreciate why a tablet would benefit from such a powerful processor as you have more screen real estate and concibably more complex apps could be developed to take advantage of the increased CPU power. With a dual core processor and sufficient memory we could have full versions of word processing, relational database or full image manipulation software running on an Android tablet environments.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

What I did was...I got the nexus s with a new contract for 50 bucks.

I also signed up for the best buy back program. This is a horrible program for anything outside of phones for phones. It's a great deal. Why? Because even though I paid 50 bucks for my nexus s, if I choose to sell my phone back to best buy they will give my 60% to 20% (6months to 2 years) of the retail value which for nexus S was $699 at purchase.

that means in 6months, if the new nexus comes out, i have 420 dollars of credit to use on a new phone. So the I would pay a difference of 200 to 300 (which is what you would pay for a phone on a new contract) and I won't have to sign a new contract. Then when my 18 months is due, i can upgrade again.

This method, i can upgrade EVERY YEAR and not worry. If I love my nexus s so much and no sell for 2years, i will still get 140 dollars and by then, i'll be eligible for a new phone upgrade and I can use the $140 to pay for my subsidized phone.

It's brilliant and the reason i joined sprint. I have gotten a new phone every year via ATT by sell my iphones every year and getting all my money back, I'll do the same with this method.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

What I did was...I got the nexus s with a new contract for 50 bucks.

I also signed up for the best buy back program. This is a horrible program for anything outside of phones for phones. It's a great deal. Why? Because even though I paid 50 bucks for my nexus s, if I choose to sell my phone back to best buy they will give my 60% to 20% (6months to 2 years) of the retail value which for nexus S was $699 at purchase.

that means in 6months, if the new nexus comes out, i have 420 dollars of credit to use on a new phone. So the I would pay a difference of 200 to 300 (which is what you would pay for a phone on a new contract) and I won't have to sign a new contract. Then when my 18 months is due, i can upgrade again.

This method, i can upgrade EVERY YEAR and not worry. If I love my nexus s so much and no sell for 2years, i will still get 140 dollars and by then, i'll be eligible for a new phone upgrade and I can use the $140 to pay for my subsidized phone.

It's brilliant and the reason i joined sprint. I have gotten a new phone every year via ATT by sell my iphones every year and getting all my money back, I'll do the same with this method.

You sure about those numbers?

Buy Back FAQ

How much will I get for my product if I purchase the Buy Back Program?
You'll always get our best value with the Buy Back Program. With our Buy Back Bonus, you could get the better of the scheduled Buy Back value or 10% above our trade-in value for your product.2 Your buy back amount will be based on how long you have had your product, how much you paid for it, and what condition it is in:

• Redeem your Buy Back within 6 months of the effective date, and get up to 50% of your original purchase price
  • Redeem your Buy Back within 6?12 months of the effective date, and get up to 40%
  • Redeem your Buy Back within 12?18 months of the effective date, and get up to 30%
  • Redeem your Buy Back within 18?24 months of the effective date, and get up to 20%
  • For TVs only, redeem your Buy Back within 24?48 months of the effective date, and get up to 20%
  • Effective date starts 31 days after purchase

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Don't get me wrong my wife has a Nexus s 4G and loves it. but for a geek to be stuck with it for 2 years is a bit tough to take
Stuck with what?

What do these phones do that require a gig of RAM and quad/dual core processors?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay