Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

mmaldin

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi

All of this talk of the great direct Google updates makes me laugh. This phone has been out for over a month and no updates to resolve the signal issues with the phone. This is about core functionality and no help. I know that its not just Google but Samsung and maybe sprint too, and it is awful. No communication either of the status of updates to resolve the issue, or real acknowledgement of the problems, just some rumors. I was just surfing the Evo 3D forum and HTC has already pushed updates after a few days.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site

All of this talk of the great direct Google updates makes me laugh. This phone has been out for over a month and no updates to resolve the signal issues with the phone. This is about core functionality and no help. I know that its not just Google but Samsung and maybe sprint too, and it is awful. No communication either of the status of updates to resolve the issue, or real acknowledgement of the problems, just some rumors. I was just surfing the Evo 3D forum and HTC has already pushed updates after a few days.

Well of course they already pushed updates, their skin caused the problems. The problem's with the Nexus are far more complicated than that. As far as no communication it's the same as asking for ETA's with software it's ready when it's ready.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

The direct Google updates on the Nexus refers to OS upgrades, which means when the next Android OS is released it will come first to Google phones since no added bloat or skins are needed.

In regards to the lack of updates to address the radio issues on the Nexus I am as frustrated as you about it. The only thing we can do is wait and hope it will come sooner rather than later. :mad:

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

The direct Google updates on the Nexus refers to OS upgrades, which means when the next Android OS is released it will come first to Google phones since no added bloat or skins are needed.

In regards to the lack of updates to address the radio issues on the Nexus I am as frustrated as you about it. The only thing we can do is wait and hope it will come sooner rather than later.
Agree with all of this.

(disclaimer that once again i am not having reception issues but i do wish that it would be resolved one way or another for the benefit of those that it's effecting.)

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Agree with all of this.

(disclaimer that once again i am not having reception issues but i do wish that it would be resolved one way or another for the benefit of those that it's effecting.)

This is why I did not want a samsung phone! samsung is the worst fixing problems and looks like that google does not care.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

This is why I did not want a samsung phone! samsung is the worst fixing problems and looks like that google does not care.
Or the problem isn't that big of a problem outside of the forums.

You have to remember that the average soccer mom or wall street exec isn't likely religiously browsing forums such as these. Not to mention that people are far more likely to complain about problems as opposed to singing praises.

Google worked out the initial problems with the Evo and I have no reason to believe they aren't working on a fix for this, if there is indeed a problem to fix.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

You sure about those numbers?

Buy Back FAQ

The original purchase price was $699. $50 is YOUR SUBSIDIZED PRICING!! if you pay $50 bucks why you are charged tax as if it was $699? think about it. Best buy still sells it for $699 and thats the price they are selling it to you, its just they get incentives but giving you a subsidized contract.

Its been confirmed with 10 people.

Also about the OTA updates,

Google is probably not looking into this issue and there probably won't be an update for the radio unless Google can confirm that all gingerbread enabled phones are having similar issue. Google supplies the bare minimum in terms of OS because they don't want to bare responsibility. They basically aren't committed enough which is why they need people like HTC, Samsung and others to fix these problems on each respective system.

Google basically just tells you want the hottest flavor is and other chefs need to know how to use it properly. Google won't be reaching samsung and saying WTF. It has to be a serious SERIOUS PR meltdown to cause them to change. Only sprint can try and force google's hand to trying to see there can be a new OTA that will help us. But Sprint doesn't care as much as people thing, they are all about EVO. EVO this EVO that.

I have one EVO in my life and its a car...not a phone.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Im looking at my receipt from Best Buy from Friday and I was charged tax on the subsidized price.

Regardless, from the FAQ

How does the Buy Back Program work for mobile phones?
For mobile phones, Buy Back provides exceptional value when you want to get the latest and greatest. The Buy Back Program for post-paid mobile phones is based on the full retail price of the phone, not the discounted price of the phone. Your phone is typically discounted in price when you renew or sign up for a new contract. If the retail (non-contract) price is $600, your buy back value would be based on that amount, even if you purchased the phone for a lower price because the phone price was subsidized by the carrier.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

The tax all depends on what state you live in. California taxes the unsubsidized price. Other states dont

weebo

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone really think there will be a fixed released for this? What if it's not a software fix...would Sprint give us a deal on a replacement phone?

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Or the problem isn't that big of a problem outside of the forums.

You have to remember that the average soccer mom or wall street exec isn't likely religiously browsing forums such as these. Not to mention that people are far more likely to complain about problems as opposed to singing praises.

Google worked out the initial problems with the Evo and I have no reason to believe they aren't working on a fix for this, if there is indeed a problem to fix.

But they will know that their phone's signal is horrible when only 1 bar shows and calls drop which will lead to calling customer service,returning the phone

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

The original purchase price was $699. $50 is YOUR SUBSIDIZED PRICING!! if you pay $50 bucks why you are charged tax as if it was $699? think about it. Best buy still sells it for $699 and thats the price they are selling it to you, its just they get incentives but giving you a subsidized contract.

Its been confirmed with 10 people.

Ah...you're correct on the subsidy, etc.... but I'm still not seeing where you get the 60% number from.
Their own calculator shows a maximum benefit of 50% back if returned before 6 months...then you factor in the $60 you paid to get in on the program and the maximum benefit would equate to roughly $290. Still good, but nowhere near $420. And that $290 would only apply to a full retail (non-discounted) phone because you would then be, depending on your Sprint Premier status, either 6 months or 16 months out from getting your full subsidy.

buybackcalc.png

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Ah...you're correct on the subsidy, etc.... but I'm still not seeing where you get the 60% number from.
Their own calculator shows a maximum benefit of 50% back if returned before 6 months...then you factor in the $60 you paid to get in on the program and the maximum benefit would equate to roughly $290. Still good, but nowhere near $420. And that $290 would only apply to a full retail (non-discounted) phone because you would then be, depending on your Sprint Premier status, either 6 months or 16 months out from getting your full subsidy.

buybackcalc.png

Ah. my mistake, its 50%. but 50%, i would be getting....350 dollars. typically, I think i would be changing phones every 10 months so I would get about 280 dollars credit. And its a best buy gift card so i can just take that gift card, go to up best buy and ask for the evo 3D. They will change me what? 600 to 700. So I would be paying 300 for a new phone. I can even change carriers, take the credit from my sprint phone and use it towards a subsized phone from verizon/ATT/Tmobile (after of course paying the ETF on my sprint bill). Since its a 200 ETF and I'm getting 280, I can use 80 bucks towards a new phone for a different carrier.

I don't know what you are talking about with this sprint premeir status. The point of my buy back strategy is to offset the odd years in my 24 month contract so that every other year, I don't have to spend 700 bucks to get a new phone (because thats what phones cost for people who didn't know...).

it works, its been verified and simulated with best buy already. 300 dollars for a new phone every year, I would take it. When I was getting iphones every year, i was paying 300 bucks because i would sell my old one for about 300 to 400 bucks.Sorry but CDMA phones sell like ass and I would try to maximize my value while getting a new phone every year. Having a iphone, the best part was re-sell .....so many morons.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Ah. my mistake, its 50%. but 50%, i would be getting....350 dollars.

Well, you'd have to buy into the buyback program, so I count that $60 against the $350...thus $290.

But I see that you are a phone-a-year kind of person. Works cheap if you're a Sprint Premier Gold member and you can get your subsidized upgrade every 12 months...but not so cheap if you are forced to wait 22 months. Personally I prefer not to pay the full retail...or even $300 if I don't have to. Up until the radio issues with the Nexus, I've been perfectly happy with Sprint and haven't been concerned with being in a contract. I can of course see the benefit of doing it your way if you choose not to sign onto a 2-year agreement with each new phone. But this $200 Nexus was actually the most I've ever spent on a phone and I plan to keep it through to my next upgrade...which ought to come around again in about 10 months.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Well, you'd have to buy into the buyback program, so I count that $60 against the $350...thus $290.

But I see that you are a phone-a-year kind of person. Works cheap if you're a Sprint Premier Gold member and you can get your subsidized upgrade every 12 months...but not so cheap if you are forced to wait 22 months. Personally I prefer not to pay the full retail...or even $300 if I don't have to. Up until the radio issues with the Nexus, I've been perfectly happy with Sprint and haven't been concerned with being in a contract. I can of course see the benefit of doing it your way if you choose not to sign onto a 2-year agreement with each new phone. But this $200 Nexus was actually the most I've ever spent on a phone and I plan to keep it through to my next upgrade...which ought to come around again in about 10 months.

I think what I did was sign up for the insurance. which makes the buy back only 30 bucks and then the guy said I can cancel in 3 weeks and get your money back on the insurance. So that would be 320. but yes, nice factoring.

Nice thing, I first bought the nexus s at 150 then when the price went down to 50, they gave me 100 dollars back. Not to mention, that Sprint is giving me 125 to switch and I signed up for this credit union for this sprint discount which is giving me $175. ....it just keeps adding up.

Also, after hearing about sprint's ridiculous pricing for repairs and service problems...$35 dollars (according the sprint lady) per problem, I can't buy a phone from them. I would rather get insurance through best buy which seems to be a much better deal considering they will replace for any accidental problem for free but if I heard right from the sprint lady, its $100? I think I factored all this in because I'm buying a single core phone (I wanted the Nexus S since the T-mobile days) but if a new nexus comes out for sprint, then i want to be eligible for it.

The new nexus 3 will be awesome...i can feel it!

Bryan4

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone sent their NS4G into Samsung for repair of the issue? I talked with them on the phone and they said to send it in for repair under the 1 year warranty but I did not receive an answer whether or not that would fix the problem. Samsung is keeping us in the dark on this matter. By law they are required to fix the defect in their NS4G's especially when it's all of them (even if the year is up with a court order).

Bryan4

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

The biggest problem with the Nexus S 4G (all of them) is the reception issues of 3G, 4G, & bad cellular signal. I think it is how the phone is engineered which may be a hardware issue i.e. the radio transmitter within the phone. Other phones don't have this issue in my experience and studies. I own the Nexus S 4G with Sprint and am frustrated too. I'm hoping it is a software issue where problem can be fixed hopefully in the near future, but I doubt it. Take legal action...

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

The biggest problem with the Nexus S 4G (all of them) is the reception issues of 3G, 4G, & bad cellular signal. I think it is how the phone is engineered which may be a hardware issue i.e. the radio transmitter within the phone. Other phones don't have this issue in my experience and studies. I own the Nexus S 4G with Sprint and am frustrated too. I'm hoping it is a software issue where problem can be fixed hopefully in the near future, but I doubt it. Take legal action...
No, you're wrong, it's not (all of them)!! Mine has no reception issues & works just as good or better than my evo. Quit making blanket statements like that.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

No, you're wrong, it's not (all of them)!! Mine has no reception issues & works just as good or better than my evo. Quit making blanket statements like that.

When did you get yours? Was that the first one you got, or did you have to return it? Mine is exactly half the speed of my daughter's EVO, and I've tested it in 4 different locations now. Very consistent.

Ccureton

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

When did you get yours? Was that the first one you got, or did you have to return it? Mine is exactly half the speed of my daughter's EVO, and I've tested it in 4 different locations now. Very consistent.

I also have no problems. My wifi and 3g are just as good if not better than my old Pre and my wifes Evo. I bought mine on the Monday after launch day and it is my first one. So, there may be problems with some devices, even a large percentage, but it is in no way universal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad