Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi

When did you get yours? Was that the first one you got, or did you have to return it? Mine is exactly half the speed of my daughter's EVO, and I've tested it in 4 different locations now. Very consistent.

I bought it about 3 weeks ago, at full price & I've not returned it.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

So, it looks like age doesn't have anything to do with it, as if they had tweaked something in the hardware. It could be that they have different sources of supply for some of the hardware components, and that some are bad, and some not.

So, some NS4Gs are good, and some not. It looks like it could be one or more of 3 different things:

1. Hardware variations
2. Cell tower network variations
3. Software variations

Since all of our units are running the same software, it would seem to rule that out as an issue. If all units were bad, you could blame the software. But since some are good, might not be the software.

I don't know how the cell network varies by city, but it stands to reason that this could be an issue. Although for me, I've been in numerous areas in Metro ATL, and I have not found an area that didn't have an issue yet. Are some cities better than others in terms of network performance? And why would performance be better for an EVO than a NS4G in one city, but equal or better for the NS4G versus the EVO in another city?

Lastly, hardware issues. That's where I'm betting that there is an issue. Because some people have good units, and others don't, and because we are all running the same software, I think that Samsung has hardware issues on their hands. I doubt that will be fixable by software.

DarkGable

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

I went from an EVO 4G to the Nexus S last month and I returned it to Sprint yesterday because of the extremely weak wifi signals. They tested it and stated it failed the tests and offered me a reconditioned Nexus S. i went off to corporate and they gave me a new Nexus S with the exact same weak wifi signal. I am no expert so I put my wifes EVO 4G next to it and the Nexus had 1 bar while the EVO had 5 bars for wifi stregnth. The EVO is outperforming the Nexus in speed as well. I am very disappointed and will be asking for a EVO 3D next week. If Sprint denies my request I will be paying $200.00 and porting my number to Verizon and getting an Iphone. As a businessman I need consistent reliability on a daily basis. I love the form factor but the wifi issue is a show stopper for me.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I went from an EVO 4G to the Nexus S last month and I returned it to Sprint yesterday because of the extremely weak wifi signals. They tested it and stated it failed the tests and offered me a reconditioned Nexus S. i went off to corporate and they gave me a new Nexus S with the exact same weak wifi signal. I am no expert so I put my wifes EVO 4G next to it and the Nexus had 1 bar while the EVO had 5 bars for wifi stregnth. The EVO is outperforming the Nexus in speed as well. I am very disappointed and will be asking for a EVO 3D next week. If Sprint denies my request I will be paying $200.00 and porting my number to Verizon and getting an Iphone. As a businessman I need consistent reliability on a daily basis. I love the form factor but the wifi issue is a show stopper for me.

Wow, I am sorry to read that. However, you may not want to really solely on the bars of each phone. I went to a sprint store and had the NS4g next to an Evo4g (before 3d) and the Ns4g consistantly loaded web pages faster.

Delete your cookies in both phones and go the exact same web page on each phone. Do not worry about the bars, just test how fast each phone loades a page. Let us know the results.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I've notices that the nexus s measures signal different than my evo. I've also noticed that any signal issues I've have always been in areas where I roam off Verizon.

But whenever I'm in a 3G zone which is usually a few feet away from house, it becomes blazingly fast. Overall this phone is better than the Evo but there's an issue somewhere.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I did a speed test between nexus and epic on wifi and epic is twice as fast. both phones were right next to each other.

I love most everything about this phone but this could make me sell.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I did a speed test between nexus and epic on wifi and epic is twice as fast. both phones were right next to each other.

I love most everything about this phone but this could make me sell.

Did you use the Speedtest App or website - or did you go to various websites after clearing both phones? As I noted before, the Nexus is actually quite when being used - also check out the videos I found of the Nexus S 4g vs. the Evo 3d. The Nexus routinely loaded up pages faster.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Did you use the Speedtest App or website - or did you go to various websites after clearing both phones? As I noted before, the Nexus is actually quite when being used - also check out the videos I found of the Nexus S 4g vs. the Evo 3d. The Nexus routinely loaded up pages faster.

I did speed test app. Right after that I did a website load test and the nexus war faster generally. Downloaded some tracks from amazon and they were about even.

I will have to see how out does with
Streaming music.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

I did speed test app. Right after that I did a website load test and the nexus war faster generally. Downloaded some tracks from amazon and they were about even.

I will have to see how out does with
Streaming music.

App or no app. Using the nexus s for me has NEVER given me more then .5mbits, thats tethering, speedtest app, and speedtest.net. However boot up the palm pre, and I get at least 1mbit. And 4g gives me about 2-3mbits. Its got issues.

The phone is borked in some way. Maybe its only some people, maybe it has issues with some types of signals. Regardless people have issues. It needs to stop getting sugar coated and just be fixed already. Its unreal that its taken this long to get anything at all. Let alone any real recognition and update information.

I got this phone at launch, Im not a business user, im just a normal user. So at this point it doesn't affect me terribly. But here I am paying for service that is recieved terribly on a device purchased from that service provider. NO way to sugar coat that people.

Needs to get fixed at some point.

ammaralo

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am no expert but I have a feeling it has to do with the power given to the radio.
To illustrate I give you the following numbers:

SAR = radiation level (power of radio)

The EVO 4G has a SAR Value of 1.03

Nexus S 4G has a SAR Value of:
Head 0.58 W/kg
Body 0.52 W/kg

EVO 3D

Epic 4G :
SAR Value: Head 0.55 W/kg
SAR Value: Body 0.75 W/kg

I don't know if these numbers mean anything, and correct me if I am totally off, but I think the low powered radio maybe the problem in the Nexus S 4g.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

How many tries does it take to get to the center of the NS4G problem? The world may never know.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Yes, mine works great. Increasing radio strength will also increase battery drain. I dont need that.

amporter

Dec 7, 2010
www.youtube.com

Is there a fix or something? This signal issue is really starting to get real annoying.

amporter

Dec 7, 2010
www.youtube.com

No fix.

Which of the problems are you having?

Just horrible date speeds 3G, 4G and Wifi. My Wifi constantly disconnects over and over and it stays around 1 maybe 2. Everybody else in my house has a Evo and they have no problems. And the 3G speeds are horrible....browsing the net is just a pain. I went to the Sprint store and ran test on my their nexus compared to both Evo's and it wasnt even close....I see why HTC is running the game right now.

cteneyck

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

Just horrible date speeds 3G, 4G and Wifi. My Wifi constantly disconnects over and over and it stays around 1 maybe 2. Everybody else in my house has a Evo and they have no problems. And the 3G speeds are horrible....browsing the net is just a pain. I went to the Sprint store and ran test on my their nexus compared to both Evo's and it wasnt even close....I see why HTC is running the game right now.

just an FYI. the signal that is displayed on the phone. is the signal received from the tower. not the signal being sent.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Also having weak signals, to the point of the phone dropping the data connection all together. Other Sprint phones in the vicinity do not have this problem...

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

At the Sprint store did you just run a speed test app or did you load a web page on both at the same time or something to that effect?

I'm one of the people who have not had any of the problems that some do, but I did notice that setting WiFi to never sleep helped it hold on to my router, as well as helping with battery life (jury is still out on that one though as it's only been a day.)

Also, when out and about, if I turn off the WiFi antenna altogether, the cellular signal indicator raises one to two bars.

Shrug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol