Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, on my Nexus, I tested it twice. First time I got

5293 dn
1036 up
24 ms

Second time:

1760 dn
791 up
20 ms

Edit: Tested Evo twice.

First time:
9631 dn
1026 up
26 ms

Second time:
9634 dn
1031 up
20 ms

Last edited:

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
the only thing i have faith in with this issue is like i stated earlier, the evo had major signal issues with wifi and 3g and OTA's fixed that right away...im keeping my fingers crossed for the same type of issue to be resolved with the nexus s...i love this phone!

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Im in the same boat, what gives?? I can't watch any of the Conan clips with out freezing either. It works smooth as butter on my Optimus LG.

Nexus fail?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/285969

For those complaining, why not complain to the ones that can fix it? Link above was posted earlier today in a different thread. If you are going there to complain, at least come with ammunition. Don't mention PRL's ... they don't have jack to do with the price of tea in China. I have this same PRL on 3 other sprint android phones and they are faster than the nexus in speed tests. PRL's only deal with non-native networks. Tell them we need a "baseband" update ;)

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I like it KSmith!

I think i may have been mistaken...i ran the tests again and this is what i've gotten..

EVO TO THE LEFT & NEXUS S 4G TO THE RIGHT
speedtest2b.jpg

Last edited:

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Screw it... i have the "Sprint Everything Data 450" plan and it says i have roaming...that fixes my data/voice issue with no extra charge!

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Screw it... i have the "Sprint Everything Data 450" plan and it says i have roaming...that fixes my data/voice issue with no extra charge!

You might want to check the fine print on that "Unlimited roaming" You only get I believe 800 MB a month, and if you go over they may terminate. Unless they changed their policy.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't encountered any major issues with wifi or 3G - I have no 4G in my area yet so don't know about that. My Nexus wifi is actually better than the Evo's -always had poor reception on that phone. Call quality is fair.

Last edited:

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
please do! much would be appreciated!

1:05:26 AM : Sam K.: Is there anything else I may assist you with?

1:05:52 AM : HOCKMAN: In my account it says that I have unlimited data roaming. It this really unlimited, or is there some kind of usage limit?

1:07:56 AM : Sam K.: Your plan include Unlimited Mobile to Mobile, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

1:08:35 AM : HOCKMAN: So, lets go a bit further. If I go on vacation in a roaming area, and dump about 1 GB of roaming data, I won't pay a cent more?

1:10:21 AM : Sam K.: You can download only 300 kb limitation if you use the data in roaming.

1:10:41 AM : Sam K.: And if you cross your limit then you will be charged for the data.

There you go. I was wrong, but it's not unlimited.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I dont believe roaming data has ever been unlimited, in fact, i always chuckle when i see people debating it. It's one of those things that a friend of a friend of a friend told people now it's 100% fact! Lol in reality, The sprint contract clearly says:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Just contact them, say you have low service reception at your billing address and you've heard about them giving out free AirRaves, and then take the thing with you where ever there's a broadband connection.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Just noticed a wifi symbol go away and come back. Interesting sure it's just a bug with the system.

If an epic os can cripple GPS I'm sure its just a minor service update that will fix this. When I had the epic we had terrible data rates and.m they fixed it that week. And that was Samsung.

As far as my speeds they are what always have seen here.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Like I just stated on the Sprint community forum, I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint yesterday for the Nexus S 4G. My coverage map states that I won't get 4G at my home, but I should be getting Full 3G service. Well I'm not. I haven't received a 3G connection once, just 1x connection. The W-Fi is also very spotty with some of my text messages failing to send. That never happened with my T-Mobile service! I really love this phone, but will be forced to cancel if it is not improved during the grace period.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Like I just stated on the Sprint community forum, I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint yesterday for the Nexus S 4G. My coverage map states that I won't get 4G at my home, but I should be getting Full 3G service. Well I'm not. I haven't received a 3G connection once, just 1x connection. The W-Fi is also very spotty with some of my text messages failing to send. That never happened with my T-Mobile service! I really love this phone, but will be forced to cancel if it is not improved during the grace period.

I had 1xrtt till I updated profile. Try that.