Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Relax folks Google knows this and will release an update besides its been less than a week.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Honestly this will all get fixed in updates. Thats how the Evo was at first. All the testing in world is never compare to real world mass market use. With all the extra phones pulling on Sprint's network. It takes some time but within 3 months these will all be fixed. Sprint and Google are working very closely to get these fixed. This is Google's name on the line, not Samsung on this phone.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly this will all get fixed in updates. Thats how the Evo was at first. All the testing in world is never compare to real world mass market use. With all the extra phones pulling on Sprint's network. It takes some time but within 3 months these will all be fixed. Sprint and Google are working very closely to get these fixed. This is Google's name on the line, not Samsung on this phone.

Exactly what I said some posts back. Everyone take a deep breathe. Google can see your posts from space with google earth. They got it. They aren't going to let their phone go out like that. Apple would enjoy that too much.

You don't think Steve Jobs would bring that up when he comes back. Google's phone can't connect to wifi. PFT! Yea right... He's going to come out and say it and google is going to roll out a silent update and fix all the problems. Just look at him... and be like... what you talkin bout willis!

As long as apple is around you bet your ass google is sitting there making sure everything works right.

Thank you apple, for your mistakes.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The NS4G I have is working flawlessly. wifi is ridonculously fast, 4g is pretty decent in my area, 3g is 5 bars. coming from an evo and this phone feels snappier, looks cleaner and the updates are already coming... maps, books, flash 10.3, streaming netflix app, gv has already had some integration/migration update, the epic didnt get an official ota for 2.2 till when, last month... anyway gettin off topic... the ns4g is have is fantastic, no issues to report yet.

Considering the phone only has 4 bars that's pretty amazing you managed 5. This phone I have rarely seen get 4 out of 4 bars. I think the phone gets signal okay its just it is displayed wrong. I notice I have 0 bars quite a bit yet I can still make phone calls and send texts out with no problem. This phone is in need of a update for a few things. The only other thing that really bothers me is the text message character limit at 160. I want to keep typing after 160 Samsung come on! It says on page 231 of the freaking manual that the phone will automatically split messages into 2 or more if you exceed 160! Well that would be great if we actually could get past 160! I'm starting to wonder if the manual is a straight copy from the T-Mobile one...

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I usually get 2-3 bars of 3G, no 4G at home. But I have Wifi at home. And I get 2-3 signal for 4G at work, when I do most of my time killing when its slow and I always have a charger at work, so I'm fine. This has been 5 days, this is all software stuff. Call quality is fine and as long as speed is fine, who cares how the signal looks like. The iPhone had the same problem last year, they made the last bar bigger and people stopped complaining lol. I have A LOT of faith in this phone. Google will fix this. Give it time.

smx

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
for those who have flawless signals ( no issues ) can you boot into fastboot and tell us the hardware revision?

I am trying to see if it's specific hardware revision that is having issues.

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
for those who have flawless signals ( no issues ) can you boot into fastboot and tell us the hardware revision?

I am trying to see if it's specific hardware revision that is having issues.

My HW Version is 34. Bootloader version is D720SPRKC5 Baseband version is d720SPRKD8.

From About Phone:

Kernel version 2.6.35.7-ge382d80 android-build@apa28 #1
Build GRJ22
PRL 01115

I also did a return to manufacturer defaults after receiving the mini update 20 minutes after getting my phone. Found that always helped with my EVO, may have helped here.

Does any of this help at all?

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
My HW Version is 34. Bootloader version is D720SPRKC5 Baseband version is d720SPRKD8.

From About Phone:

Build GRJ22
PRL 01115

I also did a return to manufacturer defaults after receiving the mini update 20 minutes after getting my phone. Found that always helped with my EVO, may have helped here.

How do you get that information and how do you reset it to defaults?

supamanasteel

May 13, 2011
Visit site
NOOOOOO!

hey everyone, would just like to chime in and say i am having the same issues. I am located in Orlando, FL where I get 4G. I have a high performance N600 netgear router, and the wifi in my home is SUPER spotty, 3G all over town is SUPER spotty, and my 4G goes in out out like crazy. My wife has an EVO and has none of these issues.

I have also tested out the wifi in other venues here in Orlando with the same results.

while I am new to Android...i never had this issue with my palm pre 2. hoping something can fix this. This NS4G is so sexy, i just want to be able to actually USE it and not just look at it lol.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

From About Phone:

Build GRJ22
PRL 01115

Mine is the same as above, came that way out of the box, no updates.

I don't have any 3G signal issues.
I am going to LA, a 4G city, tonight and tomorrow, I'll see how 4G is then.
Wifi is pretty weak(signal bars), compared to Optimus, but i do have connection and it works fine.

-j-

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I completely agree, and this has been widely reported in the forums. I'm taking back my phone to the place where I bought it to try to get a replacement and hoping that a new device will fix the problem. But I have my doubts...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
I have already tried 3 Nexus S's and they all have the same problem. I am sticking with my EVO.

yawnbox

May 14, 2011
Visit site
my 4g, in downtown seattle, keeps dropping. if the service bars are accurate, i only ever get 1 or 0. speedtest results were bad: 1.5d, .25u

cheers

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in St Louis, MO, in the middle of a 4G service area. I've yet to get a 4G connection in my house, and wifi keeps dropping the connection 20 ft from my AP. Its a Cisco with the latest firmware (I'm an IT guy).

3G looks like this:

Ping 115ms
Down: 93kbps
Up: 56kbps

At least the GPS locks fast and works well.

Voice calls do seem to work without trouble, but if these data rates don't get fixed within a week or so, Sprint and the Nexus are getting the axe.

kynov

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am having signal issues as well. I am consistently 2 bars below what my wife has on her evo. Same goes for 4G. Was in an area that gave her full 4G signal on her evo, I had 1 'bar' on my Nexus. Pretty disappointing to say the least.

Dnelson_1971

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm also seeing the problems mentioned in earlier post. I came from an EVO 4g and my wife still has that phone. I see a lower reception on wi-fi and at work I can no longer get 4g on Nexus S where my EVO could hold 1 bar. I'm hoping that future OTA's solve this as QuasarZ suggest.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
i wouldnt "wait around" for ota updates.
by the time those come around you will be out of your 15-30 day window to return the phone for something else.

go back to your old phone or buy one off craigslist for the mean time until the kinks are worked out.

these issues are MAJOR, bad reception with wifi and 4g while with other phones like evo are great with reception in the same area where the nexus is horrible... i wouldnt be happy nor would i "wait around" with a possibility of being stuck with a brick for a phone that does nothing but talk and data. no wifi or 4g.

kynov

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is related or not but all day today I have been getting errors when sending text messages saying "message not sent" with the red exclamation icon. Even when I have a signal.

smx

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if any1 else is having this problem, but sometimes when I make a call , the ear-piece /speaker will not turn on , I have to toggle on the speaker to hear anything. but other times it would work fine.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had no 3/4g problems (4g is actually better then on my epic, guess thats what happens when the battery cover is a antenna) but wifi will drop constantly even if I'm next to a router. When you pay $200 bucks for a phone you expect it to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol