Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal for the 4G radio to disconnect/reconnect every time a Wi-Fi connection is connected/disconnected? That's what mine does...

On my Evo the 4G connection just flaps back and forth from connected to disconnected if it is connected to Wi-Fi.

none of the radio issues and in & out signal is normal for this phone. that's why we are debating the issues.

3dognate

May 21, 2011
Visit site
none of the radio issues and in & out signal is normal for this phone. that's why we are debating the issues.

Yeah, WiFi connects... drops... connects... drops... I can watch it... get an IP... maybe a few seconds later drop it... standing right beside the router. Same result at work or where ever there is public WiFi that I've tried.

3G at work is good but we have signal repeaters for all major carriers all though our buildings... not a good example of the cruddy real world 3G I get outside of my work buildings.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I get the same results with my Evo as far as disconnecting from 4G if connected to Wi-Fi so I am apt to think this is normal...or a bug across both devices. The Evo actually flaps the 4G connection on/off where the NS4G just disconnects the 4G when connected to Wi-Fi.

This is using CM7x on the Evo. I might flash a Sense Rom to see if it works any differently.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal for the 4G radio to disconnect/reconnect every time a Wi-Fi connection is connected/disconnected? That's what mine does...

On my Evo the 4G connection just flaps back and forth from connected to disconnected if it is connected to Wi-Fi.

Yes it is, just like when you connect to Wi-Fi your 3G disappears. Totally normal no worries, you can't connect to all radios at once.

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, its annoying as crap. It causes a lot of errors in apps as the IP address they're bound to constantly changes.

It makes sense as to why its doing it- Android is prioritizing connection types, and choosing the least expensive connection (by provider, battery usage, CPU). There's not a good way to make applications handle connecting from three different source IP's, though. I think if it were a little less aggressive about dropping most costly connections, it would make things much more reliable in edge-of-service scenarios when you have some connection flapping (like what happens a lot with our bum radios).

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
but what most of us are experiencing is NOT normal by any means.

Fixxxer1022, I have more than 300 customers from 4 states (MD, VA, PA, AN WVA) and Washington DC with the NS4G who currently do NOT have this problem. I have reset those phones to factory defaults or had techs do a software reinstall on 15 of those phones which had signal problems. They no longer have those problems. Now, if my experience is standard, and I haven't heard anything when talking to staff or managers up and down the East and West coasts to prove otherwise, then this problem, while it DOES exist, doest not seem to effect all the phones. It is apparently at the same level as when the EVO 4G, Epic 4G, Shift, and other recent phones were released, about 1-5% of the total phones sold. And that has also been mentioned by other posters here on this thread, and those were fixed with software updates.

Yes, there is a signal problem, and yes it is being worked on. I don't know when the fix will be out, no one has that particular piece of information yet. But just like the phones mentioned above, a fix will be out soon. That has also been mentioned by other posters here on this thread, on Google's forum, and on other forums. Please just be patient.

Last edited:

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site
im gonna lay low for awhile on the issue.

o_rly.jpg

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Either be patient or return it.. They are working on it. Nothing we can do now, and more bickering and complaining is not doing anymore. Let them figure out what is going on. ;)

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I enjoyed that article, it was an excellent comparison of two phones with comparable hardware. I also liked seeing that Engadget confirms that Sprint and Google are both working on the problem.

The first paragraph under the speed comparison section is very interesting, especially since it specifically states that "Both devices yielded comparable results in that city, which brings us to conclude either that only some Nexus devices are defective, or that all are defective, but function normally with select WiMAX transmitters.". It does not specify which.

Also, Sprint also is PUBLICLY QUOTED as saying "Nexus S 4G is one of our best selling devices. Most of these customers are very happy with their experience with the device. We are aware of the connectivity reports being brought forward by a small number of Nexus 4G customers. Google, Sprint and Samsung are examining these reports and though we have not yet been able to identify any specific causes, we are working to determine exactly what our customers are experiencing."

So there is the public statement on the problem for anyone who wants it.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
those were fixed with software updates.

What 'software update' are you referring to? As far as anyone has seen there has been NO software updates made available. If there is some sort of software update available from the in house Sprint Service Dept. please do elaborate. Reseting the phone to factory defaults is NOT a software update. Updating the PRL is not a software update. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What 'software update' are you referring to? As far as anyone has seen there has been NO software updates made available. If there is some sort of software update available from the in house Sprint Service Dept. please do elaborate. Reseting the phone to factory defaults is NOT a software update. Updating the PRL is not a software update. Am I missing something?

There is no update out for the NS4G yet. But there were updates released for the other phones I mentioned that fixed their signal issues. We are still waiting for our update.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I did a factory reset which had been suggested here (and others elsewhere). That made absolutely no difference.

Indoors where my 4G signal is pretty weak both the Evo 4G and NS4G tested fairly close in speed with the Evo usually just a bit faster...in the 2-3mbs range.

Outdoors where the signal is much stronger and the Evo gets 4 Bars Wimax and NS4G gets 2 Bars the speed is MUCH different. The Evo usually gets TWICE the speed if not very close to that almost every time. The NS4G is not limping, it gets between 3-5mbs but the Evo gets between 6-10mbs most times.

I am not experiencing any instances where the device is so slow or loses connection enough to not be working. At those speeds it works just fine...just not as well as the Evo. On Wi-Fi they both get around 20mps. The one thing the NS4G is doing....which I am not sure if it's by design or not is putting the 4G radio/connection state in 'idle' if you are not passing data after a very short time. To me this does not seem to be the problem because as soon as you start passing data the 4G connection goes active and there is NEVER any kind of failed requests for data. This must be in an effort to conserve battery power, which is a welcome addition considering how fast the Wimax radio drains the battery on the Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad