Anyone have a procedure down for making and receiving Google Voice calls without using plan minutes? From what I can find on the subject, it seems it needs to be tied into sip and have some sort of call back for the outgoing. I want to be able to do this over wifi.
    05-11-2011 01:44 PM
    It is a paid app, but the developer is very open to feedback and posts on androidcentral:

GrooVe IP | AppBrain Android Market

http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...oice-voip.html
    05-11-2011 01:57 PM
    Excellent tip - I certainly dont mind paying for the solution. Does anyone have experience with GrooVe IP and can tell if it works well?
    05-11-2011 08:18 PM
    I wonder if this would work on wifi it the phone wasn't active? This would give me an extra "google voice" handset at home.

Edit - looked at the original post and it wont work. Google voice doesn't work over wifi only.
    05-11-2011 08:32 PM
    I wonder if this would work on wifi it the phone wasn't active? This would give me an extra "google voice" handset at home.

Edit - looked at the original post and it wont work. Google voice doesn't work over wifi only.
    The app I linked will to will certainly work over wifi only, I've used it successfully that way.
    05-11-2011 08:36 PM
    There are ways, based upon setting up your GV correctly.

You will need a Friend/Family plan (Sprint@Home add-on or Pick 3/5 will work). You'll also need a calling program (GV CallBack will work; it's on the Market). GV CallBack automates the process.

Set your GV number as your Fav or Sprint@Home number. You then need to tweak your GV settings to ensure Call Screening and GV as your Caller ID. There is a reason for all this, mostly having to do with having your GV show up when folks call you.

I can go over each one if you like.

This works for free calls using Google Voice.
    05-11-2011 09:43 PM
    I bought the GrooVe IP app this morning - although there are a few things that may need a bit of tweaking or improved by the developer, it seems to work pretty well.

Not quite sure what a previous poster meant by "wifi only", but it certainly works well with wifi.

gabbott: Thank you very much for the tip.
    05-12-2011 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD