Free Nexus Calls w/Google Voice - How?

webwzrd

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a procedure down for making and receiving Google Voice calls without using plan minutes? From what I can find on the subject, it seems it needs to be tied into sip and have some sort of call back for the outgoing. I want to be able to do this over wifi.

webwzrd

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Excellent tip - I certainly dont mind paying for the solution. Does anyone have experience with GrooVe IP and can tell if it works well?

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if this would work on wifi it the phone wasn't active? This would give me an extra "google voice" handset at home.

Edit - looked at the original post and it wont work. Google voice doesn't work over wifi only.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this would work on wifi it the phone wasn't active? This would give me an extra "google voice" handset at home.

Edit - looked at the original post and it wont work. Google voice doesn't work over wifi only.

The app I linked will to will certainly work over wifi only, I've used it successfully that way.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
There are ways, based upon setting up your GV correctly.

You will need a Friend/Family plan (Sprint@Home add-on or Pick 3/5 will work). You'll also need a calling program (GV CallBack will work; it's on the Market). GV CallBack automates the process.

Set your GV number as your Fav or Sprint@Home number. You then need to tweak your GV settings to ensure Call Screening and GV as your Caller ID. There is a reason for all this, mostly having to do with having your GV show up when folks call you.

I can go over each one if you like.

This works for free calls using Google Voice.

webwzrd

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought the GrooVe IP app this morning - although there are a few things that may need a bit of tweaking or improved by the developer, it seems to work pretty well.

Not quite sure what a previous poster meant by "wifi only", but it certainly works well with wifi.

gabbott: Thank you very much for the tip.