04-06-2019 12:52 PM
33 12
tools
    I feel like I'm crazy that I can't seem to locate them... Nowhere in contacts is the option to sort by or view my groups.
    05-13-2011 10:54 AM
    The good news is that your are not crazy. The bad news is that the native contacts app does not support groups as the online version does.

Is time we as a group go the Google support blogs and start asking for all these basic functions to be included on the stock apps.
    05-13-2011 11:03 AM
    I love that you included the word -BASIC-. There are so many basic things that you expect modern apps to do that these simply don't.
    05-14-2011 07:44 AM
    Sorry to necro this thread, but it seemed like the logical place to ask this:

Is there a way(app or setting) to send email to one of my gmail groups without having to type in each name?

I coach, and I like to send out email to all the parents to remind them of the schedule each week. I used to have an Epic and I would just compose an email and tap the contacts button, pick the group, then select all the members of the team's group. Is there a decent app that will let me do that?
    08-08-2011 03:11 PM
    I am wondering the same thing in Android 2.2.2 all of by contact groups did sync to my device.
    now in 2.3.4 only the My Contacts group syncs to my device. I find this very disappointing I used to be able to select a group of contacts and find the one I wanted. I also did not have to have all of my contacts in the My Contacts group. Only the ones I use most frequently.
    In the interim I move all 900 of my contacts into My Contacts but I hope they fix this.

Jeff
    08-14-2011 05:40 PM
    This is ridiculous. How is it that Google, developer of Gmail, and Google, developer of Android, cannot get their act together and allow Gmail Groups to be used in their Android Gmail app??

I'm curious, how do Google employees send messages from their Android phones to a group of their coworkers? They use some third-party app like Contacts GroupU or the phone's Contacts app? Surely this can't be so...

Even with third-party workarounds, the lack of integration between Gmail Groups and the Android Gmail app is disconcerting. It does not allow users to simply forward an e-mail to a group of contacts. And it reveals a big, gaping hole in Google's efforts to integrate their products for a seamless user experience. Please fix this, Google.
    jerry 12 likes this.
    12-13-2011 10:36 AM
    Not that it helps but I haven't found a way in ICS on the NS4G to send emails to groups.

The new "People" app that replaced Contacts does have great support for viewing and editing the group but I have yet to see a way to email an entire group.

I
    12-13-2011 11:47 AM
    Oh thank gawd, I was making myself crazy trying to figure out where my groups were.
    12-16-2011 09:36 PM
    glad to see I am not crazy, I really miss this feature from my BB, I have 3 groups and they are listed on my GN contacts, but no luck in getting a group email to send or forward. This really suxs! I can do it from the home computer but not my "Smart phone", what a joke goggle and gmail are for missing this option.
    01-02-2012 02:17 PM
    On the android phone, go to contacts, then press main menu. Select Display Options, then select the google account. All your groups will be there but only the System Group by default is checked. Drove me crazy too. Obviously, make sure you sync your contacts to your device before doing all this. Hope this helps.
    wpbfjr, jerry 12 and suziedede like this.
    01-29-2012 08:49 AM
    On the android phone, go to contacts, then press main menu. Select Display Options, then select the google account. All your groups will be there but only the System Group by default is checked. Drove me crazy too. Obviously, make sure you sync your contacts to your device before doing all this. Hope this helps.
    I had been looking for two hours for this info and thank you. What is the system group in gmail ?
    02-17-2012 10:31 PM
    Also, Thanks for the help on the groups. I followed your instructions and sure enough all seven groups were just sitting there waiting to be checked so that they would show and be available for use when i touched the two person icon. Worked perfectly! SteveCG
    02-18-2012 02:01 PM
    This is ridiculous. How is it that Google, developer of Gmail, and Google, developer of Android, cannot get their act together and allow Gmail Groups to be used in their Android Gmail app??

I'm curious, how do Google employees send messages from their Android phones to a group of their coworkers? They use some third-party app like Contacts GroupU or the phone's Contacts app? Surely this can't be so...

Even with third-party workarounds, the lack of integration between Gmail Groups and the Android Gmail app is disconcerting. It does not allow users to simply forward an e-mail to a group of contacts. And it reveals a big, gaping hole in Google's efforts to integrate their products for a seamless user experience. Please fix this, Google.
    Coming from a BlackBerry 9930 and could send email to any of my groups or forward a email to a group by just clicking on the group folder and have gone back in time twenty years in time with the gmail on my Razr Maxx it is so disappointing because i use my email a lot and forward to my groups daily. I am still in my 14 day window so i don't know what i am going to do now. Is there any apps i can get to fix is big hole in the gmail mobile on my Razr Maxx ?
    02-19-2012 05:59 AM
    THANK YOU! I looked a long time and a lot of places for that information, and was about to give up!
    02-19-2012 04:05 PM
    This DID NOT WORK for me. While I followed your steps and selected all my groups, when I go to the Native or the installed from the market Gmail app on my Droid RAZR MAXX on VZW, when I try to compose or forward an email and start to type a group name my group does not appear. I should not have to enter every person separately.

One thing I did found if you go to contacts and then groups then select that group then hit the menu button, you get option to send a text or email. Which I did and it seem to work for a new email but not a forwarded one. And it is alot of unnecessary button clicks to get to something so basic.

Droid RAZR MAXX on VZW
    Hate Ninja MOTO BLUR
    Love Launcher Pro
    03-16-2012 08:11 AM
    On my HTC Incredible, in the People app at screen's bottom the second option is the "groups". List groups, select the desired one click "share", select gmail
    03-25-2012 01:05 PM
    On my HTC Incredible, in the People app at screen's bottom the second option is the "groups". List groups, select the desired one click "share", select gmail
    Unfortunately, that's a feature in HTC Sense (my Gingerbread-based Thunderbolt also has this), but not a native feature of Android.
    07-30-2012 10:11 AM
    Can't seem to select my groups in Gmail on a Galaxy Note II, either.
    Bummer.
    01-11-2014 12:00 PM
    For the Samsung phones you can email a group by going to contacts and selecting the Groups tab. Then longpress the group you wish to send the email to and a menu will appear (Delete, Send Message, Send Email, Edit Group). Tap send email and the corresponding email tool you wish to use and it will open up from the pop up.
    05-05-2014 11:30 AM
    Brandon Baum, do you know how to use a group in gmail on a Samsung Tab?
    06-13-2014 04:49 PM
    Hello,

I've found this app on the play store which allows you to send emails to groups with gmail, it's very convenient.
    Hope that helped.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apphero.groupgmail&hl=en
    02-22-2016 09:22 PM
    I am using a OnePlus 3T and have experienced the problem of not being able to select groups when sending an email. The groups are all set up on my gmail account and worked on my previous android device.
    Following your solution, I selected the contacts app but the contacts menu only has the options Groups, Spam and Settings.
    If I select Groups, I get a list of groups for each of my gmail accounts but there are no check boxes to select particular groups.
    02-10-2017 05:56 AM
    I have exactly the same problem. Does anyone have an answer to this? Or can anyone recommend an alternative app in which I can all contacts from a Google group when writing an email?

Thanks
    Chris

I am using a OnePlus 3T and have experienced the problem of not being able to select groups when sending an email. The groups are all set up on my gmail account and worked on my previous android device.
    Following your solution, I selected the contacts app but the contacts menu only has the options Groups, Spam and Settings.
    If I select Groups, I get a list of groups for each of my gmail accounts but there are no check boxes to select particular groups.
    03-01-2017 08:26 AM
    You can create an email and send to any or all members of your distribution list by going to:
    ->Contacts
    ->select Group (look on top of page)
    ->select the group to distribute email to
    ->select More (look on top of page)
    ->select Send email
    ->select individual contacts or "Select Contacts" for all.

You're welcome.

Now, if anybody can figure out how to *forward* an email to a distribution list I'd be forever grateful.

Thank you
    George2020 likes this.
    05-13-2017 10:00 PM
    You can create an email and send to any or all members of your distribution list by going to:
    ->Contacts
    ->select Group (look on top of page)
    ->select the group to distribute email to
    ->select More (look on top of page)
    ->select Send email
    ->select individual contacts or "Select Contacts" for all.

You're welcome.

Now, if anybody can figure out how to *forward* an email to a distribution list I'd be forever grateful.

Thank you
    Again, this isn't universal for all devices. Not all address books have the "Groups" tab you refer to.

It's not supported by stock Android, so it's not helpful to most users
    09-14-2017 03:20 PM
33 12