Is this a phone that needs protection?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
So for those that have had the phone for a bit. What are your thoughts on cases and screen protection?

I have an EVO and really like that the battery cover is a matte finish so isnt really prone to scratches and the screen hasn't been either. I have a launch day EVO and it has been "naked" since and held up great for just being kept in my front pocket (I am careful that it is the only item in that pocket).

I want to do the same with the Nexus when I pick it up later this week. Is this a phone that can be pocket-able without any protection and hold up? Just looking for thoughts from current owners.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Your gonna get scratches on the battery cover. Its glossy black.

If you drop it naked on the cement it's not going.to be pretty. Or even hard floor.

The screen. Well mine is fine but some how the lady got a small deep scratch on her screen.

If you were fine with an evo with no screen protector I don't see why you couldn't have a naked screen on here.

Reactions: PeMo and gabbott

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I got one of those Rocketfish Hard Gel cases, its super slim and has just the right amount of protection. And I will always get a screen protector, I like Ghost Armor, smooth and has a LT warranty. You never know when your throw your phone into your pocket and there is change, keys, or some random crap is in there and you get a nice scratcht that you will always notice.

Reactions: gabbott

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If you take care of your phone and carry it on a pouch of some sort, I see no need for a screen protector. A case however, I feel is needed on this phone, being plastic, shinny and slippery, the chances for accidentally dropping and damaging it are high.

I dropped mine the very first day when it slipped, fortunately fell just about a feet from my hand to the carpet, no damage. I went and bought a case at Sprint and used it encased since. A pitty, I love the shape and thin form factor of the naked phone, think is kind of sexy.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest protection - I came from Epic without it, loved it, am very careful with phones and the screen held up, it was Gorilla Glass.

This one isn't - had it since Tuesday, careful, finally put it in cloth pocket of new purse yesterday (hence no collection of crap, dust or dirt), got a small scratch on it. I have been walking around holding it like glass, this
works when its new, but not after awhile. And like above, its pretty, shiny, and slick.

So, had been considering case (can't find any thin ones, was going to order Incipio) and various screen
protectors. After this, went to mall kiosk and had them put full body Invisible Shield on, wet not dry.

It turned out perfect, tiny scratch is covered,just enough grip that I don't feel like I'm going to drop it, I can see the difference on screen, slightly tell, but no spaces between sides (had bothered me on other phones), fits great, and not I'm not as worried about drop or scratch.

So, prefering none of the above, I'm already glad I did. I intend to keep this one for awhile and I don't want it banged up - being careful, I know it will still happen!!

DeCourseyyy

May 9, 2011
www.facebook.com
Contour Display = Win

If this phone hits the ground flat on, only the two edges of the screen are going to hit the floor, not the entire screen.

While this doesnt completely protect the device, it does prevent it from having iPhone-esque screen shatterings.

Edit- This phones shiny plastic body DOES make it very slippery. I have dropped it a couple of times and scuffed up the edges. Although a case would be the smartest option, I dont want to give up the phones form factor, which was one of the biggest reasons that I bought it.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I got one of those Rocketfish Hard Gel cases, its super slim and has just the right amount of protection. And I will always get a screen protector, I like Ghost Armor, smooth and has a LT warranty. You never know when your throw your phone into your pocket and there is change, keys, or some random crap is in there and you get a nice scratcht that you will always notice.

How much did you pay for the ghost armor. Does it prevent finger prints?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't see getting a screen protector. The display has a special anti-fingerprint coating that has to be the best I've owned. I just can't cover that up...

Agree. I'm still worried since the lady scratched hers. Lol. I only scratched one screen in my day. freak accident.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Invisible Shield was $36.95 for full body installed. Yes, you can order on line cheaper (I was shopping, had
decided BodyGuardz for $22.95 was best deal), but after scratch on phone from carefully placing in purse,
it was worth this to be done now, not later, and I know I will drop it, no matter how careful I am.

Like said, naked is prefered and good till dropped. I had thought the same about curved screen, till I saw
scratch.

And installed - perfect, took 10 minutes. I have done these before, usually good, but this was worth it. And now it looks and feels naked, has no fingerprints, and no worries.

Am actually buying the Incipio Feather Case - we boat, play golf (cart), so can put on or off to prevent banging it around and some shock absorption - again, really prefer none, but will look better in the long run, and the advantage of a lady's purse, can keep in there to put or or remove.

To each their own,

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Because the Evo had the HTC version of Gorilla glass, the Nexus doesnt, so i would deff get a screen protector. I bought me a phantom skinz screen protector for $9 and it came with 2 becaus i bought it online.

As for the back you will get scratches on it because it is glossy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney