02-27-2012 08:27 AM
44 12
tools
    Non-owner here. Are these capacitive buttons the same kind of technology used in notebook media buttons (along the top of the keyboard)? My wife recently bought a new notebook and after a few weeks the media buttons (which she never used) suddenly became possessed by Satan. They would randomly activate themselves, sometimes so rapidly they would trigger the loud system board BEEP (repeatedly), presumably indicating input buffer overflow. Fortunately, there was a BIOS setting which completely disabled the media keys, working around the problem. Too bad that sort of solution is out of the question for the all-important home and back buttons on an Android phone.

I'm just wondering if it's the same sort of hardware problem: defective capacitive buttons. If so, I hope someone in power tells Samsung they need to work on their quality control.
    05-23-2011 09:41 PM
    Happens top me intermittently too, but I can't see any rhyme our reason why.
    05-23-2011 11:45 PM
    This thread has been pushed back a bit and I wanted to bump it up. My phone still has this happening every day multiple times. For those that had their phones replaced, did this solve the issue? I'm wondering if I should just have Sprint send me out a new one. I just hate returning them because you never get a new one, just a refurbed one.
    05-27-2011 01:14 PM
    This thread has been pushed back a bit and I wanted to bump it up. My phone still has this happening every day multiple times. For those that had their phones replaced, did this solve the issue? I'm wondering if I should just have Sprint send me out a new one. I just hate returning them because you never get a new one, just a refurbed one.
    I had sprint replace mine and I have had no issue since (knock knock >> wood). I've had the new one for two weeks now.
    05-27-2011 01:48 PM
    Did u install all the apps and customization u did from the bad phone?
    05-27-2011 01:57 PM
    You get a new replacement if you take the box and everything that came in it back to where you bought it. They should just switch it out for a brand new one on the spot, unless you bought it via telesales or something. Even, then you can still get one that is brand new in the box to replace it.
    05-27-2011 02:02 PM
    Sounds like it is a hardware issue then?
    05-27-2011 04:16 PM
    The guy I spoke with said he had the same problem with his Epic when he first got it, and he had to have it changed out. Said he never had a problem with it since, so I am going to say, whether it is hardware or not, I would get it switched out if you can get a working one.
    05-27-2011 04:54 PM
    It's a Hardware problem. I returned mine, because I had a problem with the home button it keep pressing it's self and it would get stuck. So don't wait return it, I'm glad I did. I got a new Phone and he told me to bring everything the box, headphones, charger...etc.
    05-30-2011 01:48 PM
    Ok, I got my new phone and it does the same thing!! Am I doing something wrong? The backbutton will just press itself and stay pressed down!
    06-02-2011 12:42 PM
    Looks like they found a fix!

Nexus S Home and Back Button Problems
    06-23-2011 03:37 PM
    Anyone know if the July 11 update includes this fix?
    07-07-2011 08:14 AM
    I have the same problem.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    07-09-2011 11:52 AM
    Mine doesnt do this if the 3g is shut off...just use wifi only and no issues. Not ideal but it seems like returning phone doesnt guarantee a fix
    07-23-2011 01:09 PM
    Quick update. Just exchanged my phone at best buy. No issues with new phone whatsoever. It was really acting up while at the store. Something interesting I discovered though. Hold your finger close to the back button without touching the button. It activates and starts really doing the ghost push thing. At least mine did. My new phone doesn't do that. I also asked best buy to get me the newest model number sequence they had and they did ...happy now and waiting for 2.4.5 update

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    07-25-2011 06:22 PM
    I got my phone started doing this about 3 weeks after I got it. Going to the sprint store tomorrow to see what's up.
    08-13-2011 12:00 AM
    This started happening again for me shortly before I updated to 2.3.7

After the update, it still occurs. Anyone else with this issue still?
    09-23-2011 08:21 AM
    My phone just started to have this exact problem.

Anyone else still having this issue too?
    02-24-2012 10:15 AM
    I had it really bad in the beginning, but after rooting, and flashing some new ROMs (mostly Peter Alfonso), it's pretty uncommon now. I think it's a mix of software and hardware bugs.
    02-27-2012 08:27 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD