Problems with Back Button

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I just bought the Nexus S a few days ago and am very happy with it, except for one problem. A lot of times when I press the back button, it locks up for about 10 seconds. The button light goes out and I can't press any other buttons until it comes back. It happens often, I'm just wondering if it's something I need to suck up, or do I have a faulty phone. Thanks!

mickie98

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you have something running in the background that causes this. On mine if I hold Home down it will bring up recent programs, it is designed to do this. After I do this it seems like the Return button freezes until something finishes running. Does that make any sense?

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you have something running in the background that causes this. On mine if I hold Home down it will bring up recent programs, it is designed to do this. After I do this it seems like the Return button freezes until something finishes running. Does that make any sense?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Like you said, it acts like it's waiting for something to finish running. Problem is, it happens no matter what app I'm in.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Like you said, it acts like it's waiting for something to finish running. Problem is, it happens no matter what app I'm in.

That is not the normal behavior. You can do a factory data reset on your phone before returning and see if the issue persists - if it does then get a new phone, if it doesn't, it was something you installed so pay attention when you reinstall your apps and do it one at a time.

BTW, if you don't know how to do a factory data reset go to Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset, when prompted select Yes. This will wipe all your data and apps (but not the storage) and bring your phone back to it's original out-of-box state.

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Just tried a factory reset, but the problem still exists. Thanks for the help everyone, looks like I'm going back to Best Buy tonight!

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Remember, before you turn in your phone you should erase the content of your internal storage, in addition to a factory data reset. This will assure your phone is wiped clean and has none of your data at the time of return.

You can do this from the settings menu -> Settings > Storage > Erase USB storage.

Reactions: oldrtyfrog

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I also have this problem. I guess I will go into the Sprint store tomorrow and get it replaced. My brother just got the Nexus, too and had the same exact issue. He already got his replaced, but I was wondering if it was maybe a software issue, since we both have the issue.

His problem started right away when he got his phone, I've had mine for 10 days now and it just cropped up yesterday.

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Apparently this looks to be a software issue more so than hardware. Google really needs to fix this. Their most recent reply about the issues was on 5/13/11 on another post with the same set of problems. They are working on it, but from the posts, it seems that they have been "working on it" since January, back on the T-Mobile Nexus S.

This is very distressing. If these problems are just going to keep popping up every time I get a replacement, like all the other posts on there, I might just trade the phone in for something else. Especially if the Evo 3D comes out before my 30 days are up.

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I got mine replaced last night. So far, I've had no issues at all. My first one was locking up right out of the box, so hopefully I'm good now. I still get nervous every time I hit the back button though.

dparisoe

May 10, 2011
Visit site
It's a bad phone I had mine replaced for the same reason. It should not do that, the new one works flawlessly every time.

I did a factory reset on the device and the problem still persisted. At first I thought it was a software hanging issue but it was doing this nearly every time I would use the back button and it seemed more like it was a hardware problem with the button itself. Almost as if the button was getting stuck in the down position.

dparisoe

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I also have this problem. I guess I will go into the Sprint store tomorrow and get it replaced. My brother just got the Nexus, too and had the same exact issue. He already got his replaced, but I was wondering if it was maybe a software issue, since we both have the issue.

His problem started right away when he got his phone, I've had mine for 10 days now and it just cropped up yesterday.

I'm not claiming him!

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is starting to pop up more consistently now. Really going yo be a problem for me. This is a deal breaker if they don't fix it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, these problems did not happen until I had the phone for 10 days. So, it may not come up right away.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

cretz42#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I got mine replaced last night. So far, I've had no issues at all. My first one was locking up right out of the box, so hopefully I'm good now. I still get nervous every time I hit the back button though.

What did you say to Sprint or wherever you got it? Did you show it happening to them and really have to sell your case or did they do it, no questions asked? I am thinking about going back to Best Buy and getting it replaced. It's not happening that much but it still occurs.

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
What did you say to Sprint or wherever you got it? Did you show it happening to them and really have to sell your case or did they do it, no questions asked? I am thinking about going back to Best Buy and getting it replaced. It's not happening that much but it still occurs.

The woman at Best Buy was extremely helpful. I showed her the problem (luckily it locked up the first time I hit the back button, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to replicate the problem on the spot). She didn't ask any questions, just registered a new phone for me and I was out of there in 20 min. Good experiences at Best Buy are rare, but this chick was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax