IMPORTANT: Posting to fix problems with NS4G on Google forum

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have posted two threads on the Google support forums regarding a couple of issues some of us have experienced with the NS4G. If more people would post on these threads acknowledging these problems and asking for a fix, the threads may catch the attention of the Google dev team and may be resolved in the future.

I would like to ask all of you experiencing these problems to post and ask for a solution. The threads are referenced below. Thanks.

PLEASE FIX: MEDIA VOLUME AND RINGTONES ON NEXUS S 4G TOO LOW

PLEASE FIX THE STOCK SMS APP FOR THE NEXUS S 4G!!!!

Reactions: Wiley_11

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I guess it doesn't bother other people. The volume is fine for me with normal use. It definitely is lower. The only time I wish it were louder was for my alarm in the morning.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I guess it doesn't bother other people. The volume is fine for me with normal use. It definitely is lower. The only time I wish it were louder was for my alarm in the morning.

I'll be getting my NS4G in a couple days and put it through it's paces for any of the issues but a "fix" for alarm sounds can be using something like mp3gain to bump up the gain a little on the sound file.

Back with the Pre launch a couple years ago that was an issue too and here is a thread that explained how to use mp3gain as a "workaround" until the issue was fixed with software updates.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-p...03-workaround-increase-pre-ringer-volume.html

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll be getting my NS4G in a couple days and put it through it's paces for any of the issues but a "fix" for alarm sounds can be using something like mp3gain to bump up the gain a little on the sound file.

Back with the Pre launch a couple years ago that was an issue too and here is a thread that explained how to use mp3gain as a "workaround" until the issue was fixed with software updates.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-p...03-workaround-increase-pre-ringer-volume.html

Yea. I have audio editing programs on my computer. I know how to do that. Just haven't. Lol.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
my ringtones are loud enough. I don't use my phone as an alarm clock as i learned a long time ago that most phone alarms don't work for me. As far as ringtones and notifications I actually had to lower them because they were too loud.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
;)

I agree this is a viable work around for ringtones, used to do that on my WM phones (notoriously bad in terms of max volume) and my Pre before going to the Evo. The volume on the Evo, as well as my other Android phones (Epic, LG Optimus, Hero and Evo Shift) is certainly louder than this Nexus. This is usually controlled by a software setting on the system and can be tweaked to increase the levels to something more useful. I just want Google (or Samsung) to fix this so I don't have to redo all my ringtones again... feeling a little lazy lately ;)

In addition, I enjoy listening to music and podcasts on my speaker when not in the mood for headphones, usually while playing COD on my xbox. Here the Nexus is very lackluster for me.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
According to this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/86049-ns4g-confirmed-bugs.html

It doesnt look like the stock SMS app will ever support sending over 160characters. Seems Google is saying this is by design. If that is the case the workaround will be to use another SMS app that supports the option to split SMS mesasges over 160 characters. I know Handcent and GoSMS do.

SMS and MMS messages are limited to 160 characters
Description:
All SMS and MMS messages are limited to 160 characters total.
Action: Educate
The Nexus S 4G is a Google Experience device and this feature/functionality works per Google's
design.
There are no current plans to change/modify this experience in a future MR. If Google makes a
change in future versions of Android, we will update this with more information.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
According to this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/86049-ns4g-confirmed-bugs.html

It doesnt look like the stock SMS app will ever support sending over 160characters. Seems Google is saying this is by design. If that is the case the workaround will be to use another SMS app that supports the option to split SMS mesasges over 160 characters. I know Handcent and GoSMS do.

I don't believe so, my feeling is that Google just included the same SMS app from the Nexus S on our phones. On GSM it works as the splitting of longer messages seems to be handled by the network. Being this is their first CDMA Nexus, is likely they are not aware that the splitting is not handled the same way and needs to be done by the SMS client prior to sending. If 160 char limit was the intended experience for us, then why mention on the official user guide a function Google never expected us to have?

The reason I posted this issue is to make them aware of this functional difference so they an amend the app to operate as advertised. I for instance, have very limited use for the functions available on Handcent, GoSMS and others, so I don't see the penalty on memory and performance as justified in my case. It would be nice if they fix the app to function properly on our network.

The more people add themselves to the post, the more likely Google will notice this and perhaps issue a patch for our phones. Think about it, if you post and nothing happens, what did you loose but a few minutes. Go and post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance