Charging Questions

corvock

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So i have seen both that Samsung phones do not charge to 100% and that they do. If i leave my Nexus S on a charger overnight, should i reach 100%? I have never gotten there, and only ever top out at 95%.

My second question is when i am using Navigation and attached to a car charger, should I lose charge on the battery? I made a ~1.5 hour trip Friday and lost almost 7% of my battery while it was on the charger. Initially i had Navigation and BT on. i switched off BT and that had no difference.

In the end i am wondering if i have an issuey phone, or if these are to be expected "issues" with this device.

--Ryan

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So i have seen both that Samsung phones do not charge to 100% and that they do. If i leave my Nexus S on a charger overnight, should i reach 100%? I have never gotten there, and only ever top out at 95%.

It will reach a max of 95%, this is normal behavior.

second question is when i am using Navigation and attached to a car charger, should I lose charge on the battery? I made a ~1.5 hour trip Friday and lost almost 7% of my battery while it was on the charger. Initially i had Navigation and BT on. i switched off BT and that had no difference.

This suggests to me your car charger output is less than the battery drain. You need to get a car charger with a greater output rating.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My second question is when i am using Navigation and attached to a car charger, should I lose charge on the battery? I made a ~1.5 hour trip Friday and lost almost 7% of my battery while it was on the charger. Initially i had Navigation and BT on. i switched off BT and that had no difference.

What is the amperage of your car charger?

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
In regards to battery drain/charge when using Navigator while charging in car, I've been wanting to know too and have found the answer the last few days. My phone will gain charge, so happy with that. Got a Motorola charger from here, works great and the blue light at night definitely adds light to the drink holders. Also added the 'bean bag' phone holder, works perfectly.

TheNexxuvas

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I am using a charging dock, it gets me to 99%, but yes you are right, there is no 100% with the display in the battery output menu.

Guess that's the way Samsung coded it up, but somewhere on the back end, i'm sure you get 1 extra tick on a percentage between 99 and 1-0.

Again, this is just me using my Nexus S the past 4 days i've had it, and using the dock I use. I've long since stopped using port chargers to charge any phone I own.

I'm also a bit spoiled and since working for Sprint I use my Cadex Battery Analyzer machine in my office to reset battery capacities every 6 months. Doesn't usually get me back more than 5 to 10% but keeps both my batteries running great if I keep a phone longer than I usually do, since I go through phones sometimes weeks at a time before off to the next one. :) I'm getting 26 and 1/2 hrs out of my phone. That was 12 hrs usage the first day down to 51%, 12 hrs the next day down to 10%, and the next day the last 10% was downloading and updating my podcast app so went another 2 hrs 30 mins before finally flashing down to power off.

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
In regards to battery drain/charge when using Navigator while charging in car, I've been wanting to know too and have found the answer the last few days. My phone will gain charge, so happy with that. Got a Motorola charger from here, works great and the blue light at night definitely adds light to the drink holders. Also added the 'bean bag' phone holder, works perfectly.

I have this problem. I'm using an iGo charger with a MicroUSB tip that is supposed to work for Nexus S 4G. When I'm in the car using Nav, I lose about 1% every 15 mins. It's not draining fast, but it's not going up either. When I'm not using Nav and the screen is off, it charges (also, it shows a lightning bolt all of the time when connected).

My question is this: How can I test the amperage/output on the charging? According to other post, I'm probably not getting enough amps to charge phone with all of the processes running. I have a volt/amp meter with probes, but not sure where to attach them and what I'm looking for anyway.

Thanks.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem. I'm using an iGo charger with a MicroUSB tip that is supposed to work for Nexus S 4G. When I'm in the car using Nav, I lose about 1% every 15 mins. It's not draining fast, but it's not going up either. When I'm not using Nav and the screen is off, it charges (also, it shows a lightning bolt all of the time when connected).

My question is this: How can I test the amperage/output on the charging? According to other post, I'm probably not getting enough amps to charge phone with all of the processes running. I have a volt/amp meter with probes, but not sure where to attach them and what I'm looking for anyway.

Thanks.

To start with, what is the rated amperage of the charger you are using?

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that I don't know. I'm using the iGo system with power tips (A97) in this case. I was hoping that I could get a amp reading from my meter, but I have not idea how to do that with these tips.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance