Am I the only one who thinks the criticism with the Nexus S phone is silly?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Seems we finally got Google's attention and they apparently are doing some internal testing.

From the Goggle Support Forum:

"Best answer - Ry Guy (Google Employee)
Hey all,

Thanks for posting all this useful information folks. We are still investigating and doing some side-by-side tests of our own so stay tuned. No need to continue posting your coordinates and speed stats. Thanks for your continued patience.

-Ry Guy"

You can read about it and post if you like here.

Reactions: jrmoore10

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm with redtooth. If they don't fix this by June 8th mine will be going back and I will pick something else. My husband has the Epic and he is doesn't have the reception problems that the Nexus has. Mine lost both incoming and outgoing signal for about an hour today. What good is a phone if you can't make or receive calls????

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Every major phone has had some sort of technical issue upon launch, simply because they can't possibly test everything. Once it gets out in the market, then it gets fine tuned to work out any remaining bugs. EVERY phone has had some sort of problem (Evo prob had the least!! LOL) Atrix had a problem, Iphone, G2X, and any other phone that is marketed as a major phone full of new or ground breaking features. Truth is, the phones are great, but they are not perfect and if to put every feature on it we want, it would retail for more than we would be willing to pay. My Nexus S 4G retailed for 700 bucks!!! That's ridiculous!!!

amcooper

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree that every phone has problems but there are certain core features that have to be rock solid before they should release. Most everything you want to do with a smartphone relvolves around reception. You can't wash this away with the excuse "every new phone has problems". This problem hasn't even affected me yet and I can see this as a pretty big screw up from someone (Google and/or Samsung). I really really want this phone but until I find out more details its just too big of a risk. If I had purchased this phone on release date I also return the phone at 30 days and find something else.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Every major phone has had some sort of technical issue upon launch, simply because they can't possibly test everything. Once it gets out in the market, then it gets fine tuned to work out any remaining bugs. EVERY phone has had some sort of problem (Evo prob had the least!! LOL) Atrix had a problem, Iphone, G2X, and any other phone that is marketed as a major phone full of new or ground breaking features. Truth is, the phones are great, but they are not perfect and if to put every feature on it we want, it would retail for more than we would be willing to pay. My Nexus S 4G retailed for 700 bucks!!! That's ridiculous!!!

The EVO was plagued with this same issue and many more for at least 3 months after release.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The EVO was plagued with this same issue and many more for at least 3 months after release.

While I wouldn't say the same problems, is true all phones (particularly smartphones) have problems upon release. However, that does not make it right, nor does it make the people who have problems wrong for saying they will return the phone before the trial period is over if a fix is not released by then.

I am among the latter group, I will be returning the phone before the the trial period is over if a fix for the reception problems is not pushed out by then. By reception I do not mean the lack of bars, or problems with 4G or wifi signal - I can sit those out for as long as it takes to get a fix. My problem is dropped calls do to signal variation which causes it to miss calls. This makes this phone unreliable as a communication device in my line of work, that is why I already went back to the Evo but still have the Nexus in hopes this gets corrected.

I REALLY like the Nexus and REALLY want to to keep it. But I can not justify paying almost $600 for a phone I can't use as a phone. However, I will gladly keep it and hold my breath for a fix until I am blue on the face if anyone of the "all phones have problems when relased" camp is willing to give me a $600 deposit until that happens.

Last edited:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My problem is dropped calls do to signal variation which causes it to miss calls. This makes this phone unreliable as a communication device

This actually has happened a few times...mostly yesterday when my wife SAID she was trying to call me but got pushed into my voicemail. I had no record of missing a call from her, though. This truly IS a problem. I've never had a dropped call...but calls not going through is a bigger deal.

It happened a couple months ago when a tower by my house was having some problems (which were fixed after a couple of days), so I figured that was what was happening yesterday.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday must have been a bad cell day because my phone would not make or take calls for about an hour in the afternoon. Today it seems to be fine.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I read on another forum (can't remember which one) that a potential problem here is the radio driver looking for a wcdma signal when the strength of the current one drops below certain level. They explained the wcdma protocol is a used by GSM networks but not by Sprint. This makes sense to me when you think the original Nexus (and it's radio drivers) were designed for GSM and some of the code from the original radio driver may still be there and causing it to look for the wrong signal at times causing the dropped calls.

If you don't think they may have overlooked the differences between how GSM and CDMA work, go to the stock SMS app and try to type a message longer than 160 char. On GSM networks, message splitting is handled by the network, on CDMA it has to be handled by the phone. They missed that one alright.

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
While the radio issue is indeed a huge problem, I can't say that it has effected me dramatically. I haven't dropped any more calls than I have with my Evo. Though it is very frustrating to show no bars or only one bar when normally there are three, I can't say that my experience has been so bad that I wanna give up on this phone. Some complain that their wifi signal is no good. Mine is great. My conclusion is, it's a keeper so far. If I start missing calls or dropping calls like crazy, then I'll just get an iPhone and blame it on the way I hold the device.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
While the radio issue is indeed a huge problem, I can't say that it has effected me dramatically. I haven't dropped any more calls than I have with my Evo. Though it is very frustrating to show no bars or only one bar when normally there are three, I can't say that my experience has been so bad that I wanna give up on this phone. Some complain that their wifi signal is no good. Mine is great. My conclusion is, it's a keeper so far. If I start missing calls or dropping calls like crazy, then I'll just get an iPhone and blame it on the way I hold the device.

Have you tried an Airave? I have an older one (2 years) and it helps with the signal. Today I found out that I qualify for a upgrade of this device so they are sending me one for free. If you call Sprint and explain that you have no service in your house they will offer you one. I pay no monthly fee either. My son just ordered one for his office where he gets absolutely no signal so he's going to try one there. The new ones are suppose to be wonderful according to the Sprint employees who have them. Anyone out there have the new and improved one to let us know how it is doing?????

Reactions: jrmoore10

guammie08

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried an Airave? I have an older one (2 years) and it helps with the signal. Today I found out that I qualify for a upgrade of this device so they are sending me one for free. If you call Sprint and explain that you have no service in your house they will offer you one. I pay no monthly fee either. My son just ordered one for his office where he gets absolutely no signal so he's going to try one there. The new ones are suppose to be wonderful according to the Sprint employees who have them. Anyone out there have the new and improved one to let us know how it is doing?????

We just received an Airwave last Monday. DH is stationed in the Midwest and there is minimal service inside the house whatsoever (his Evo gets one bar, my Pre nothing). We had to go through 3 sprint techs (dropped calls on all 3) and fight to get one at no cost (they were initially going to charge 5 a month, but they said since we were gold premier they'd waive the fee). Now our phones have 5 bars and great service (gonna get rid of the landline for our last 3 months here before heading back to the best coast), although with the weather acting up out here our service has been spotty (but with two tornadoes touching down last night, it's understandable)

Reactions: maryinredding

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand complaints about specs. Yoi should know going into the purchase what the phone has and doesn't have. But I do understand complaints about software bugs. There is nothing worse than getting excites about a device and dripping lots if cash on the phone and realizing that key features that you were expecting to work don't or don't work well. My 3G/4G/wifi radios are weak and my voice search never works properly. My EVO worked flawlessly with the voice search and voice to text.

I agree, don't complain about specs. If you have a problem with the specs, get a different phone. Level of service based on an antenna that isn't performing the best, a valid complaint, but keep it in one thread, not twenty nine.

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not tried it but I'll be calling sprint tomorrow!:)