returned the Nexus S for the EVO

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Nexus S this week and hot an EVO. I really wanted to like the phone. The seen was awesome and the game play was exactly what I was looking for. Gingerbread is impressive in a subtle way, but I had top many problems with it. I had issues with the WiFi and 4G radios. Voice recognition wasn't working at all. I shouldn't find the YouTube app until I came to this forum. The touch sensitive buttons at the bottom were too dark and not always responsive. Didn't like the headphones jack at the bottom. I though I could get used to it, but I didn't like it. I also didn't like how the Google voice integration worked on the phone. So I took the phone back and hot the EVO. First thing I noticed is that the EVO has a washed out screen compared to the Nexus. Samsung really knows how to make a great screen. And all the bloatware. But I like the widgets and the bigger screen. Plus the HDMI out is an awesome feature to have. I wish the Nexus did not have so many issues. I really wanted the vanilla Android experience. but there were just too many issues from the start. I was thinking about going with the Epic, but I didn't want a physical keyboard.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The EVO is a great phone, I had one for a year and it was built like a tank in that it didn't need any case or screen protection, enjoy! :)

For myself, the NS4G is a welcome change, as a gadget nut it is something different, the amoled screen is gorgeous, and I've been wanting to try a pure "google experience".

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you made a good choice. I would love to have the evo if it just had a better screen. I've been messing around with a friends evo for a few days now and its a cool phone for sure. I just dont like the screen.

ToothVore

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Nexus S this week and hot an EVO. I really wanted to like the phone. The seen was awesome and the game play was exactly what I was looking for. Gingerbread is impressive in a subtle way, but I had top many problems with it. I had issues with the WiFi and 4G radios. Voice recognition wasn't working at all. I shouldn't find the YouTube app until I came to this forum. The touch sensitive buttons at the bottom were too dark and not always responsive. Didn't like the headphones jack at the bottom. I though I could get used to it, but I didn't like it. I also didn't like how the Google voice integration worked on the phone. So I took the phone back and hot the EVO. First thing I noticed is that the EVO has a washed out screen compared to the Nexus. Samsung really knows how to make a great screen. And all the bloatware. But I like the widgets and the bigger screen. Plus the HDMI out is an awesome feature to have. I wish the Nexus did not have so many issues. I really wanted the vanilla Android experience. but there were just too many issues from the start. I was thinking about going with the Epic, but I didn't want a physical keyboard.

Did they put the upgrade back on to your account?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

For some reason it was hidden on my phone. When I would go to the market, it would indicate that it was installed, but it wasn't in the app drawer. I had to download a file manager to find the apk and install it again so the icon would appear. Never had that issue before.

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The EVO is a great phone, I had one for a year and it was built like a tank in that it didn't need any case or screen protection, enjoy! :)

For myself, the NS4G is a welcome change, as a gadget nut it is something different, the amoled screen is gorgeous, and I've been wanting to try a pure "google experience".

I'm in the same boat as you. I came from a rooted evo with cm7. The nexus is a change as I don't like to hold on to homes for more than 1 year. Simply google is my new thing. Loving my phone.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I came from a rooted evo with cm7. The nexus is a change as I don't like to hold on to homes for more than 1 year. Simply google is my new thing. Loving my phone.

Same here... loved my EVO, but am enjoying the Nexus immensely. And my son loves his hand-me-down EVO. :)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
And folks, I just returned the EVO for the Nexus S again. I found out the voice recognition problem is due to the new update of the app. It wasn't working as it should on the EVO either. The radios signal is still poor, but I will just wait for an update to fix it. I couldn't get over the screen. The EVO screen is so washed out in comparison. I had to go back.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Don't get the Epic. It actually benchmarks lower than most 1 Ghz phones and the battery life is anything but epic. Nothing says fun like 5 hours of battery life with all the radios off. The Evo is a great phone too. Its a shame the Nexus didn't work out. Once its rooted it takes off like a rocket. It actually out benchmarks the Atrix and the G2x after you finish rooting.

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
And folks, I just returned the EVO for the Nexus S again. I found out the voice recognition problem is due to the new update of the app. It wasn't working as it should on the EVO either. The radios signal is still poor, but I will just wait for an update to fix it. I couldn't get over the screen. The EVO screen is so washed out in comparison. I had to go back.

Yeah the display really sold me to this phone (4G too).

One gripe that I agree with you the most is the capacitive buttons not being bright in sunlight.. Very annoying..

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

One gripe that I agree with you the most is the capacitive buttons not being bright in sunlight.. Very annoying..

do you really need the buttons to be bright in sunlight? LOL. Anyways to each his own, I cant wait till I get this phone. I have missed the vanilla look since I first had the original droid.

Last edited:

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I have not held one Android device where the capacitive buttons light were visable in the bright sunlight. I live in PHX.. Home of the Sun! However I could see the buttons, considering the light was shining on them.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Try the SwiftKey X keyboad. It will fix your typos and let you type twice as fast. The beta is free.

I am happy that you are happy with the Nexus.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
By the way, I found a fix to the voice search issue I was having. If you go to your computer into your Google dashboard, you can reset your voice search recordings and your voice recognition will work flawlessly. I just did it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc