Is the Sprint Nexus S 4G really that bad?

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a EVO 4G and i'm ready for an upgrade. I really, really like the Nexus S better that my EVO as far as design and the overall feel of the phone in my hands. However, I have been reading a lot of reviews about how bad the radio signal and wifi is on the Nexus. I really want to try this phone but I don't want a lot of issues and I don't want to shut down my Evo for anything sub par. I have also been trying to decide if I want to wait for the EVO 3D. If anybody has a Nexus S please give me your honest opinion good or bad.

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, is it just the 4G signal that is weak? Do you think it's the device or could it be the Sprint network? I live in north florida and the 4G is hit or miss even with 5 bars on my Evo.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 23 month old Pre- that gets perfect 3G/wifi signal, and an unused upgrade since April 1. The NS4G seems like crap shoot as far as signal issues right now. I'm waiting for a fix that should be sooner than later in my opinion.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, is it just the 4G signal that is weak? Do you think it's the device or could it be the Sprint network? I live in north florida and the 4G is hit or miss even with 5 bars on my Evo.

I don't have 4G in my area, but the 3G and wireless connections (the latter just to my in-house router) are significantly worse than my previous Android phones. The actual speeds are about the same, but I think the low signals contribute to the poor battery life.

In other words, it isn't the network; the NS4G has real problems with its radios.

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of your input. I think i'm just going to find one on eBay and pay a little more for it. Then I will still have my upgrade in the event i want to get the EVO 3D when it comes out.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of your input. I think i'm just going to find one on eBay and pay a little more for it. Then I will still have my upgrade in the event i want to get the EVO 3D when it comes out.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe the issues that the phone has will be corrected by then and will want to keep it.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It's a great phone but I would wait to find out what's gonna happen with the signal issues. If they fix that I would highly recommend the phone!

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

If you get it now the Evo 3d should be out within your 30 day window.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
<sarcasm> Yes its horrible. Worse than other 150 threads. </sarcasm>

I think this is the last post I will read titles with anything similar. Lol.

HTC isn't locking bootloaders. Lets get rid of our phones. Lol.

No. The wifi signal is bad. Yes. And disconnects a lot. But its nothing that won't get fixed. And if it doesn't. Hmm. I doubt that will happen.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
why dont you just try it. I bet the evo 3d comes out with in a month, it will be here sometime in june, unless they find a major flaw. If you dont like it just return it and exchange for an evo 3d. There is nothing like being the first to get upgraded to next version of google OS. Nexus S will be supported by google and not like other devices, Samsung-google-and sprint have all acknowledged the problem so I am sure they will remedy the problem sooner than later. I am sure fix will be here within a month.

Yes dual cores are good but but Hummingbird and SGX 540 onboard will go a long way in supporting ice cream sandwich. You will not see a difference between dual cores and single core hummingbird processor unless you go by pure benchmarks. Everyday use it will run just as good.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Lol if you think thr Evo 3D will be better. HTC phones tends to have all kinds of problems like the charging port issue with the evo and the numerous T-Bolt problems.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I have not had one issue with the reception and signal on my Nexus. I have noticed the bars show lower than my previous phones but I believe thats just the bars not being as accurate. When I go into the About Phone and check my signal it shows just as strong as my Epic and my girls EVO. I havent had one dropped call and my Wi-Fi connection works just fine. I'm not in a 4G area so I cant test that. I think its hit or miss. Some people have had issues and others havent.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have not had one issue with the reception and signal on my Nexus. I have noticed the bars show lower than my previous phones but I believe thats just the bars not being as accurate. When I go into the About Phone and check my signal it shows just as strong as my Epic and my girls EVO. I havent had one dropped call and my Wi-Fi connection works just fine. I'm not in a 4G area so I cant test that. I think its hit or miss. Some people have had issues and others havent.

I'm glad you got a good one. Do you get good wifi 60' from your router? I plan on getting one when the dust settles, as long as it has good wifi/3G. :D

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Really that bad? This phone has only been out less than a month. It's far too soon to be freaking out about a few issues as I have never owned a smart phone without issues out of the box. I've had a moment and an epic and both had things sorted out in time, buying one of these devices right around launch time comes with being a guinea pig of sorts. Every time I get a new one around launch time I see folks up in arms over these issues. I wish they would relax and just enjoy being part of a growing technology like android, its not really been around that long and this is only Google's second device, which brings up another point. This is known to be a developer's phone and it comes with the idea that alot will be modded by the community which is the part I enjoy. Sorry for this rant but I'm getting sick of reading all these folks that are freaking out, some who should know better and be a little more patient...

Now on topic, my device is working fine for me, battery is great compared to my epic and even better with the custom roms and kernels I've been playing with. Download speeds are about the same as my epic and upload is bad but I have never had good speeds for that with sprint. Not one dropped call and time without service has never gone up from one percent. All in all I'm happy with my device and not looking back. I bought mine off craigslist as my upgrade is a ways off still and not regretting it at all.

Sorry for the rant but I'm bored and have been biting my tongue for a week now on this bad device issue...like all products in general there will be some that are defective but its not proof that they all have bad radios or whatnot....

Ok I'm done, I'm gonna head back over to xda and see what's doing with developing, gotta be something new to flash by now ;-)

sent from the nexus of the 4g universe

Last edited:

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I think its a great phone. One of the problems with the interwebs and forums especially is that you get to read the most about people complaining about things. Most people who are happy do not go out of their way to say so - they only take the time when they have something to complain about. That said is the NS4G perfect? No. Does it have problems? Yes. Just like every other phone out there does.

I have not had the problems as bad as many of those here make them out to be. Do I get slower 4G speeds? Sure. Have I had a problem staying connected to wifi? Not at all. However, am I happy with the phone? You bet, happiest I have been with a phone in years - I will not be looking to "upgrade" anytime soon. Coming from a Evo myself there are many more upsides to the NS4G even taking into account the small problems that it currently has. In the end though each person needs to make their own choice - that is the nice thing about buying a phone and service, we all get to choose ourselves.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
You should head to sprint.com and check the comments of users to get a flavor of what the collective experience is. I have issues with the signal, I know that will be resolved but when is the only question. I have read on several places that Sprint/Samsung/Google have been made aware of this and are testing, so a fix will be rolled out sometime.

My only other complaint about this phone is the low speaker volume for ringtone/media, don't know if this will be addressed or when. Besides those two, the phone is excellent in every other way.

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
For me, the phone is the best I ever had except for voice and data. Form factor, screen, pure Gingerbread, make this a fabulous experience. But I miss calls and can't get a signal at critical times. It is true that the speaker is very weak compared to modern day phones. Mine is going back on Friday as I can't afford to take the risk that it doesn't get corrected. I'll suffer with my Evo for now, and the minute I hear they solved the problems, I'll be the first one in line to buy it again.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital