Tethering [Confirmed]

DeCourseyyy

May 9, 2011
www.facebook.com
I was just in a Sprint store returning my Nexus S in anticipation for the Evo 3D (I know, haze me)

I asked the man behind the counter about the free tethering on the Nexus S.

He hesitated, but I reminded him that I no longer own the phone, so it does no good for me either way.

He confirmed with me that there is no way that Sprint can charge for Tethering, as it is a Google device. he did say that as soon as Sprint figures out how to charge for it, they will, but until then, "Wheeeeeeeeee".

So officially: All tethering on the Nexus S 4G is FREE

Hope this helped any of you that were wary of setting up tethering on your device.
:D

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's not really confirmation. Different employees no matter who they work for will tell you different versions of the same thing.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No more negativity ;)

I tether with my Nexus S and get no charges at all. Works awesome

Well I just don't want people thinking it's perfectly fine and nothing will happen. You could get off just fine or they might catch you. Officially you have to pay for it so if you don't get caught then awesome.

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I just don't want people thinking it's perfectly fine and nothing will happen. You could get off just fine or they might catch you. Officially you have to pay for it so if you don't get caught then awesome.

I don't think it's about getting caught, per se. The feature has not been disabled on the phone by Sprint. Nor do they give you any sort of warning when turning it on (as on the Evo). I don't think Sprint will simply decide to tack on an extra $30 to the bills of everyone who has enabled the feature (if they even know). I think, and I could be entirely wrong, that it has to stay there, being a Nexus phone and all. I'm pretty sure Sprint's complete lack of concrete info on the issue and refusal to state anything forthrightly is meant to confuse customers into signing up for the feature without telling them that they could have gotten it for free all along. Again, I could be entirely wrong, but that's how it seems to me. They could very well still be trying to formulate a way around offering the full 'google experience', but I'm not sure Google will have that.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
It is easy for them to tell who's tethering it's called packet sniffing and all companies do it including sprint. The CSR likely didn't know what they were talking about.

I've said it from day 1, sprint would have to edit framework.jar to prevent tethering and Google wouldn't allow that. But, with that said, they can tell your tethering really really easy.

Reactions: splmonster

JRodHimself

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
It is easy for them to tell who's tethering it's called packet sniffing and all companies do it including sprint. The CSR likely didn't know what they were talking about.

I've said it from day 1, sprint would have to edit framework.jar to prevent tethering and Google wouldn't allow that. But, with that said, they can tell your tethering really really easy.

Please don't lump all Sprint employees together; there are some that actually know what they're talking about ;)

Tethering is free as of now, it's not advertised as such, but nonetheless, it's free and ready for you to use. Sprint is working on a solution to this though.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I was just in a Sprint store returning my Nexus S in anticipation for the Evo 3D (I know, haze me)

Did you have to pay a restocking fee? I have no intentions of paying it when I return mine. This phone is a piece of junk. I've read some OG Nexus S owners on T-Mo are STILL having problems like this.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Did you have to pay a restocking fee? I have no intentions of paying it when I return mine. This phone is a piece of junk. I've read some OG Nexus S owners on T-Mo are STILL having problems like this.

if it was an upgrade or outright buy your stuck paying the restocking fee.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
As others have said.....

Sprint is aware that tethering on the Nexus is working....and they are not charging anyone for it. Not because they are "giving" you all a service for free...but because as of now they havent a way to block it and charge for it. They ARE working on it though...so dont expect this service to remain free. You will either start recieving a charge for the service or it will be blocked until you decide to pay for it.

So in the end...enjoy it while you have it but dont get upset when it stops working.

The communication about this was sent out to all employees a few days before the launch of the device and we were instructed to warn customers about it so they didnt recieving any suprise charges.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
As others have said.....

Sprint is aware that tethering on the Nexus is working....and they are not charging anyone for it. Not because they are "giving" you all a service for free...but because as of now they havent a way to block it and charge for it. They ARE working on it though...so dont expect this service to remain free. You will either start recieving a charge for the service or it will be blocked until you decide to pay for it.

So in the end...enjoy it while you have it but dont get upset when it stops working.

The communication about this was sent out to all employees a few days before the launch of the device and we were instructed to warn customers about it so they didnt recieving any suprise charges.

I bought the phone twice and I wasn't warned by the salesperson either time.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
As others have said.....

I havent heard anything about this at work. It. My guess is, the tether will always remain free, as its part of the software...

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I knew this before, all Nexus 's will always have this feature regardless of the carrier.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk